News Article: Mississippi proposing to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest with license plate
Thanks Thanks:  0 Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Mississippi proposing to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest with license plate

Who comes up with these ideas? Honor someone who served as the first KKK Grand Wizard.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110210/...license_plates
    Last edited by Bamaro; February 10th, 2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: changed link
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

Re: Mississippi proposing to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest with license plate

Johnson, with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he's not bothered by Civil War commemorative license plates generally. But he said Mississippi shouldn't honor Forrest, who was an early leader of what he calls "a terrorist group."

"He should be viewed in the same light that we view Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden," Johnson said of Forrest. "The state of Mississippi should deny any vanity tags which would highlight racial hatred in this state."

I don't usually agree with much the NAACP promotes, but this is spot on. Surely, there are other ways to recognize Mississippi's role in the Civil War.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Who comes up with these ideas? Honor someone who served as the first KKK Grand Wizard.
    Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader - Yahoo! News
    Lots of places have honored him. You may want to think about why they do, instead of why you think they shouldn't.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

It's On A Slab

Quote Originally Posted by ValuJet View Post
    Johnson, with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he's not bothered by Civil War commemorative license plates generally. But he said Mississippi shouldn't honor Forrest, who was an early leader of what he calls "a terrorist group."

"He should be viewed in the same light that we view Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden," Johnson said of Forrest. "The state of Mississippi should deny any vanity tags which would highlight racial hatred in this state."

I don't usually agree with much the NAACP promotes, but this is spot on. Surely, there are other ways to recognize Mississippi's role in the Civil War.
    Seems like our native state never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity to be seen in a better light.

See the Rebel flag flap, the Col Rebel flap.

I will have to say that, lobbyist ties or not, Barbour has been a pretty good governor. He would do well to try to push this thing to the side. No good will come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Lots of places have honored him. You may want to think about why they do, instead of why you think they shouldn't.
    OK, why do they? I have no intent of starting another thread on whether any should br honored but it sure seems that this guy shouldn't.
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by It's On A Slab View Post
    Seems like our native state never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity to be seen in a better light.

See the Rebel flag flap, the Col Rebel flap.

I will have to say that, lobbyist ties or not, Barbour has been a pretty good governor. He would do well to try to push this thing to the side. No good will come of it.
    Yes. Heaven forbid that we should ever recognize, much less honor, our nation's history and heritage. It's much easier to turn our backs on it and pretend it never happened. Let's bow to the sacred cow of political correctness, lest we dare offend another.

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Heaven forbid we let the facts get in the way of your righteous indignation, but Forrest, when he decommissioned his men, told them to make peace with the men they had fought and live as good citizens of the United States. It was only after the perceived depredations of the Union army during reconstruction that Forrest joined (it is highly unlikely that he founded or acted as the Grand Wizard) the first KKK, which was entirely different than the KKK of the early 19th Century. When the Klan turned to racial violence, he distanced himself from the organization as he had long supported the reconciliation of the races. In fact, he often spoke to black organizations.
    lest we forget what fine upstanding gentlemen the first klukkkers were. it was the freed slaves and those northern scallywags who were the real troublemakers
    Last edited by 92tide; February 10th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

It's On A Slab

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    Yes. Heaven forbid that we should ever recognize, much less honor, our nation's history and heritage. It's much easier to turn our backs on it and pretend it never happened. Let's bow to the sacred cow of political correctness, lest we dare offend another.
    please.
    Last edited by ValuJet; February 10th, 2011 at 06:14 PM.

i prefer to recognize and honor our nation's history and heritage of kicking the crap out of the traitorous bastiges all the way to savannah
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

We can argue all we want about the Civil War, but I think most would agree the reconstruction period was not the nation's finest hour for either side.
    yep, i think it would make disco and 80s hair bands seem cool in comparison. glad i wasn't around back then

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

Suspended

I don't turn away from my history nor my heritage. Even as it seems "dumbassery" to you, I'll flaunt it with pride.

That's not a very polite thing you said there. Prolly should correct it.
    Last edited by ValuJet; February 10th, 2011 at 06:15 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

I kinda liked hair bands.
    Same here.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick