Link: Sony Playstation Network Update

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
As PS3 owners know the Playstation Network has been down since Wednesday from an External intrusion. This is the latest update:

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A CONSOLE WAR THREAD!

PlayStation Network Still Down with No Return Timeframe

Update: According to PCWorld, Sony spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka stated that a "thorough investigation" is taking place and the company is currently unsure if personal information or credit card information has been stolen. Should that be the case, users will be notified, as one would expect. The fact that Sony doesn't know, however, isn't especially reassuring.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
As PS3 owners know the Playstation Network has been down since Wednesday from an External intrusion. This is the latest update:

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A CONSOLE WAR THREAD!

PlayStation Network Still Down with No Return Timeframe
I was reading some of the comments on one of the blog posts yesterday and a guy was saying that sometime Wednesday when the connection was sketchy that he was able to access the PS store and got a message that said an attempt to add funds to his wallet was unsuccessful. Not sure if that could be a thought of as a clue that the hackers tried to access the account information or not.

On a different note, after reading some of those comments, the amount of people who are calling for some sort of compensation for the network outage is outrageous. There was one person who said that regular users should get a $25 gift card while PS+ users should get a $50 gift card :eek::conf2:. For a free service?? lol.

I do hope they get the thing working soon though. I have some b-spec races on Gran Turismo I need to run, and all of my racers are stuck online lol. I understand that they are rebuilding the whole server system which I can only assume is a monumental task, especially with thousands (millions?) of users breathing down their necks.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
For PS+ users, some compensation would be reasonable. MS has done the same when there as been issues with Xbox Live. It's normally a free arcade game or something and if you already had the free item, well sol.

People using the free service deserve nothing which is equal to the amount they have spent for the service. So, you can't play online games for a few days, just play some offline games, watch a movie or re-introduce yourself to your family.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
For PS+ users, some compensation would be reasonable. MS has done the same when there as been issues with Xbox Live. It's normally a free arcade game or something and if you already had the free item, well sol.

People using the free service deserve nothing which is equal to the amount they have spent for the service. So, you can't play online games for a few days, just play some offline games, watch a movie or re-introduce yourself to your family.
Well, I've gotten in a lot of reading on my spring break and will get the Truck fixed tomorrow.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
New Story:

The PlayStation Network shutdown, custom firmware and credit cards | Technology | guardian.co.uk

the source pointed out that a custom firmware named Rebug is now available online, allowing users to gain access to Sony's trusted developer network via a normal retail machine rather than a development - or 'debug' - system. The post speculates that some Rebug users may have worked out how to employ fake credit card details to download games and other content from PSN for free.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument over compensation for ps+ users. Having said that though, I could understand if Sony gave ps+ users an "extra" week or so onto their subscription to make up for the lost days. I think a free game would be overvalued, since the outage is only worth a dollar or so in terms of how much they paid for a year subscription.

Either way, it makes no nevermind to me. I'm not a ps+ user and don't really care what Sony does, outside of giving them a game worth upwards of $20.

And the plot thickens....

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Here we go!

A fellow Alabamian!

Sony Sued Over PlayStation Network Hack -- InformationWeek

On Wednesday, Kristopher Johns, 36, of Birmingham, Ala., filed the first class action lawsuit, on behalf of all PSN users, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The lawsuit alleges that Sony "failed to encrypt data and establish adequate firewalls to handle a server intrusion contingency, failed to provide prompt and adequate warnings of security breaches, and unreasonably delayed in bringing the PSN service back on line." It also accused Sony of violating the Payment Card Industry (PCI) security standard, which prohibits companies from storing cardholder data.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
NetFlix still works (for me at least) although it's not supposed to. Heres how I did it:

Click on the NetFlix thing, it'll ask you to sign in. Hit X and try to sign in, and it'll tell you the psn is currently undergoing maintenance. Hit circle (the only choice), and when you do NetFlix will load, but the sign in screen will come up again. Try to sign in again, and repeat the previous steps. After you hit circle again, you are free to use NetFlix. :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
PSN to be back up this week:

PSN Getting Restored This Week « GotGame

Finally as a big “we’re sorry” in their “Welcome Back” plan, Sony will be offering premium content and services for free, including:
# Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
# All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
# Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” offerings will be rolled out in the coming weeks according to Sony so stay tuned!

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
Free PS+ is nice but I don't see the point if I sign up for 30 days just to lose all I downloaded if I let it lapse. The only reason I would even consider it is the automatic downloads of software updates, and that doesn't make it worth it.

The Qriocity would be cool the check out though.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
Can't do it. I have some sort of weird aversion to the 360. Never liked it, and never will. Truth be told I don't even play online much. I think I'm one of the few who will buy a game like modern warfare to play the single player, and then as an afterthought, play online. And on a related note, I was severely disappointed in Homefront. I beat the campaign in like 4 hours....

I just want to get the network back up so I can buy a few new games for my psp, and so that accessing NetFlix isn't such a pain.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Can't do it. I have some sort of weird aversion to the 360. Never liked it, and never will. Truth be told I don't even play online much. I think I'm one of the few who will buy a game like modern warfare to play the single player, and then as an afterthought, play online. And on a related note, I was severely disappointed in Homefront. I beat the campaign in like 4 hours....

I just want to get the network back up so I can buy a few new games for my psp, and so that accessing NetFlix isn't such a pain.
Man I am the exact same way! I buy games for the offline story modes. lol

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
TOKYO — Sony said Tuesday it aims to fully restore its PlayStation Network, shut down after a massive security breach affecting over 100 million online accounts, by the end of May.

Sony also confirmed that personal data from 24.6 million user accounts was stolen in the hacker attack last month. Personal data, including credit card numbers, might have been stolen from another 77 million PlayStation accounts, said Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka.

Sony aims to fully restore PlayStation Network, down by hacker attack, by end of May - The Washington Post

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.