Any George R R Martin fans?

BamaAlum97

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Tulsa, OK
I am 2/3 of the way through book 4. I am enjoying them very much. Martin does a really good job of developing characters and getting you emotionally attached to a character...then he starts toying with those emotions.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
GRRM is a genius! have read all the books and the short stories. I love that world and how he sugar coats nothing. Real adult language for real adult readers. This aint no Harry Potter thats for sure.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones and like the way GRRM organized the book -- it's like a series of interwoven short stories. I like that each chapter is focused on a particular character and the characters immediately around him/her, and I like that each chapter is reasonably short yet quite substantive.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones and like the way GRRM organized the book -- it's like a series of interwoven short stories. I like that each chapter is focused on a particular character and the characters immediately around him/her, and I like that each chapter is reasonably short yet quite substantive.
I'm now in the middle of the third book, and my only criticism of the series thus far is that the storyline meanders all over the place. I'm not certain that Martin knows where the story is headed at this point -- it feels a bit like a soap opera. Nevertheless, I find the political intrigue mesmerizing.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm now in the middle of the third book, and my only criticism of the series thus far is that the storyline meanders all over the place. I'm not certain that Martin knows where the story is headed at this point -- it feels a bit like a soap opera. Nevertheless, I find the political intrigue mesmerizing.
Have to agree with you about the storyline. I am also halfway through the 3rd book and have no idea where Martin is going with this series.

***mild spoilers if you haven't read much of anything***

I can only guess that the dragon chick ends up as queen in the end.I started reading these over christmas after I "borrowed" them from my brother. My other criticism is, the story is pretty depressing. I keep reading to see if something good happens for the good guys but it never does, or if it does it is soon undone. Just waiting for every last "good" character to die off now lol.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Have to agree with you about the storyline. I am also halfway through the 3rd book and have no idea where Martin is going with this series.

I can only guess that the dragon chick ends up as queen in the end.I started reading these over christmas after I "borrowed" them from my brother. My other criticism is, the story is pretty depressing. I keep reading to see if something good happens for the good guys but it never does, or if it does it is soon undone. Just waiting for every last "good" character to die off now lol.
The absolute best character is Tyrion -- he's sort of bad and sort of good -- I thoroughly enjoy his chapters most of all.

We'll have to share more notes as we progress through the books.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

One of the things I really like is that the characters are more complex than simple 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. The only one I think is truly 'bad' is Joffrey, and he's a sociopath.

ETA: And Ramsey Bolton, the sadist.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Just bumping this with the TV show set to return at the end of the month.

The events covered this season are going to be quite interesting, especially for those who are familiar with the happenings of the 3rd book.
They're just covering about 1/2 of book 3 this season, right? I hope so. I want them to take their time and cover as much detail as possible.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
One of the things I really like is that the characters are more complex than simple 'good guys' and 'bad guys'. The only one I think is truly 'bad' is Joffrey, and he's a sociopath.

ETA: And Ramsey Bolton, the sadist.
Joffrey apparently takes after his mother -- she's another evil one in my opinion. Oh, and the Freys are pretty disgusting as well.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Just wanted to say, I finally picked up reading where I left off in the third book, and this has got to be the most infuriating series I have ever read. I hope the Others kill everyone.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
This is the first of the series that A Game of Thrones is based on, correct?

I'm watching the HBO series and, while I enjoy it, I find myself frustrated by how much back-story is unknown to me. They try to fill the viewer in, but it seems to come at such a rapid-fire pace that a lot of it is lost on me.

I'm on a bit of a Truman Capote kick right now, but once it's run its course, I may have to start this series of books.
I just read In Cold Blood and thought it was great. Can you recommend any others?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.