Blitzing LB from Nickel formation - Help!

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
Hey,

I need help. I've played a couple of guys on XBOX Live that evidently know some kind of trick with the nickel formation. I don't know what the defensive call is (other than the formation), but they spread out the line, and then they blitz one of the two LBs in the middle between the tackle and the guard. Somehow, they get a clear shot into my backfield every single time, and I can't figure out how they do it.

Does anyone know this trick? If so, I'd really appreciate it. And I promise not to use it on you on XBOX Live!

Kenny

Does anyone know?

Last edited:

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
Ozzie4AD said:
Is it just a crash or lightning blitz? I don't pull cheese like that and cheese like that is the reason that I don't play online.
I don't know what it is. It happens so fast, I can't really tell what's going on. It seems like somehow the way the DL is set, it causes my OL to create a gaping hole that his blitzing LB runs right through.

I can't tell if it's a cheesy play, or if the guys that run it are really skilled. Either way, it's eating my lunch!

Ah... the good old Thunder Blitz!

You described the play pretty accurately. What happens when you spread the D-Line and shift the LBS to the middle is that the center has to pick up one of the blitzing LBS. The other one has a clear shot at the quarterback.

Believe me, this was like the only play I would use on defense in previous versions. They've fixed it to where it's not as effective, but if you have two good LBS... it can work pretty well.

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
DiamondDust said:
Ah... the good old Thunder Blitz!

You described the play pretty accurately. What happens when you spread the D-Line and shift the LBS to the middle is that the center has to pick up one of the blitzing LBS. The other one has a clear shot at the quarterback.

Believe me, this was like the only play I would use on defense in previous versions. They've fixed it to where it's not as effective, but if you have two good LBS... it can work pretty well.
Thanks DD! I'll give it a shot. At least I know what the play is, so I can practice what to do against it if someone is using it against me play after play.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I would suggest

Putting a shotgun formation pass play in your audibles and then hot route a reciever to a slant over the middle. If both lbs blitz then the middle will be totally open, allowing you to throw the slant. You could also audible the RB to pick up the other lb and try your shot downfield if you like. The deciding factor is the coverage BEHIND the blitz. If it is zone, I recommend the slant, while if it is man, maybe try the deep ball. Let me know if you even use my advice. :BigA:

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
AlexanderFan said:
Putting a shotgun formation pass play in your audibles and then hot route a reciever to a slant over the middle. If both lbs blitz then the middle will be totally open, allowing you to throw the slant. You could also audible the RB to pick up the other lb and try your shot downfield if you like. The deciding factor is the coverage BEHIND the blitz. If it is zone, I recommend the slant, while if it is man, maybe try the deep ball. Let me know if you even use my advice. :BigA:
Yeah, I really need to do that. The problem is, I can't hot route when I'm on the road (not consistently anyway), so I need to find a good shotgun formation play that has a slant over the middle. Right now, I use Ball State's playbook, which only has the Shotgun Spread formation, and I don't think there's a good slant in that formation.

Thanks for the advice!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
How about

Quick slants is in there isnt it? No audibles needed. Slot seams might work. Better yet, try Ace Spread Quick Slants. The HB is already blocking and at least on practice option you will have time. The shotgun plays have been unsatisfactory due to inconsistent snapping from Closner. Try putting that play in your audibles and you should at least have him guessing or playing back and you will get more time. Also be sure to include at least one more play in Ace Spread so when you audible he wont always know what play you are doing and maybe you can spring a run on him. :D

kmccoy1

Scout Team
Jul 17, 2003
Alpharetta, GA
AlexanderFan said:
Quick slants is in there isnt it? No audibles needed. Slot seams might work. Better yet, try Ace Spread Quick Slants. The HB is already blocking and at least on practice option you will have time. The shotgun plays have been unsatisfactory due to inconsistent snapping from Closner. Try putting that play in your audibles and you should at least have him guessing or playing back and you will get more time. Also be sure to include at least one more play in Ace Spread so when you audible he wont always know what play you are doing and maybe you can spring a run on him. :D
Yeah, I had the same problem with the high snaps. The Ace Spread play is a really good idea. I've been running Ace Spread Corners, but the two WRs seem to interfere with each other in the middle of the field. Still, it works like a charm against the 4-4 Mad Robber. I haven't run into anyone running that nickle blitz lately, but I'll certainly spring the slants on whoever tries it next!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.