TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Stanford (Top of 7th):
Burns grounds out to 2nd (5-3), 1 out
Becerra Strikes-out, 2 out
Miller in for Gerhart
Miller grounds to short (6-3) to END THE GAME!

Bama to the WCWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bama 1 Stanford 0

Traina picks up the win: 3 2/3IP, 0H, 0BB, 5K

CrimsonDynasT

2nd Team
Sep 23, 2007
Terrific game by our ladies--they showed heart and determination to beat a good Stanford team twice in a row. Congratulations--ladies! Here's to you becoming the first of our national championship teams in 2011.

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Congrats to our girls today...they bounced back today and played great...I thought the umpiring especially behind the plate was horrible in all 3 games!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Congrats to our girls today...they bounced back today and played great...I thought the umpiring especially behind the plate was horrible in all 3 games!
I'd say the 2nd game the umpiring wasnt that bad honestly. Not because of the score but because of the calls. Games 1 and 3 were just outright terrible. I hope we dont get them again. Its ok to me if you call high or low or inside or outside, but do it CONSISTENTLY! When a strike at the knees is a strike on us it should be for them. When its down the middle and its a ball for us it should be for them. They missed on BOTH sides today. I dont think they'll get a good grade from Murphy ;)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It was an exciting game to watch, congrats to the girls for earning a trip to the WCWS.

As to the play where Davis (our runner) and the Cardinal shortstop collided. Fortunately the 3B umpire called obstruction. and rightfully so. However, once Davis made it to third safely, she would have been "at risk" if she had tried to continue to home. Once she reached the next base, the one she was going toward when the obstruction occurred (in this case third), I believe that is as far as the obstruction gave her safe passage. If she had tried to score and been thrown out, I think the out call would have stood.

As an umpire, the obstruction/interference call was always one of the toughest. Trying to determine how far a runner gets to advance is difficult because there are so many variables that can come into play: you aren't necessarily familiar with the players, you don't know who is fast or if they're a good baserunner, or who has a strong arm, etc., etc., etc. That is why you will rarely see a player awarded a base beyond the one they were headed toward. If the obstruction had been closer to 3b, I could see the umpire possibly awarding home, but not in this instance, even though I sure wanted them to!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.