Satellite TV Setup for Tailgate

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I'm considering setting up a TV with satellite link for my LSU tailgate on the quad. I see folks doing it all the time, but I've never done it. I have the TV, a DirecTV account, DirecTV HD DVR, and 120v power. I know I need a dish and tripod, but I could use some advice on which unit to get; which one(s) not to get, setup, quality of signal on quad (NE corner of quad), etc.

Any advice for a satellite TV rookie would be appreciated.

4P Club

Jul 15, 2011
We tailgate in T-Town every home game. We use Direct satellite. You can use any direct dish but keep in mind you will have to set it up to your receiver. Also, you will need to set your dish according to the azmith and elevation. Your receiver will tell you all this. We use an aluminum tri-pod for a satellite dish. Once you get set up, you will need to point your dish to the SW. Sometimes this is very sensitive. Make sure nothing is blocking the satellite. Good luck. RTR.
John

seanndiane

Oct 29, 2008
For a beginner I recommend an 18 inch round dish. you probably won't get hd channels but they set up 100 times eAsier. I have set up a tailgate dish network or
directv 50 times. I finally got a Big SWM slimline and it took me forever to get all 3 sats. I can do it now but without a 300 dollar birddog, it takes me HOURS sometimes. The
18 Inch and a tripod is by far easier....at least till you learn. At home temporarily set
your receiver to 18 inch dish with multiswitch and it will tell you if you will
need a free BBand converter.Not used on a swm slimline dish if that's what you have at home. Also get a 20 dollar
meter eBay or camping world. setup screen select 18 inch round, multiswitch, zip code to get azimuth and elevation and find the 101. The slimline hd dish also requires a larger pole than regular dishes....it is a nonstandard size....only available from directive reps. $30.....I bought 4 poles from various places before I figured out the diameter was not a normal pole, fence or otherwise. Had to cut a piece and bolt it to my old tripod pole to get it in my tripod.
Good luck.
Try setup at home first.........or you might get really frustrated on game day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.