Last Clay Bowl

J.E.B. Stuart

Suspended
Aug 11, 2000
Friday night, September 23d, Clay Co. High School (3-1) plays Lineville (4-0) in the last Clay Bowl for bragging right in Clay County. Both schools merge into one high school starting next year. Right now Clay Co. is 3A and Lineville 2A. Based on the current student level charts that AHSAA used to determine classifications for 2010-12, the new school will be at over 400 plus students and thus a 5A high school. The great histories of both schools, state football and basketball championships at Clay Co. will be over. Clay County now will have only one high school. Old Millerville (Bibb Graves High School in real name) closed several years ago and currently is rotting to the ground. As populations shift, old schools go away. While progress may be good, it makes you lose something when all these traditional community area schools simply blow away in the wind. My father graduated from Millerville way back in 1935.

Other big games in this central Alabama area Friday night have #1 3A Piedmont (4-0) at #9 Glencoe (4-0); Weaver (3-1) at Walter Wellborn (3-1); also in 6A, #10 Oxford (3-1) at #6 Auburn (4-0). Oxford lost their top defensive player, a LB who is on Bama, the Barn, LSU radar, to an ACL tear and he is done for the year.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep would put them at 448 which would be 58th in 5A which would put them borderline 4A as well because some will go to the private school out by Wellborn Cabinets. Don't forget about Mellow Valley who didn't have football but also lost a high school in all of this as well when Bibb Graves was closed. Of course no sense in keeping 4 schools open that close to each other. It will be called Central High School of Clay County.

I also heard from some of my Ashland contacts that Danny Horn from Ben Russell (the former coach at Clay County) will be putting in for the job. Should get interesting! Also the source was someone I trust that knows him well. JEB who was your Dad? I have a TON of family in Millerville and Ashland myself.

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
WOW. I moved from Alabama 5 years ago and this was one of the biggest rivalries in the state during that time. weird to hear they are combining. They should be tough though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.