Question: high school rule question

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Happened last night in middle school game. White team is punting...red team partially blocks punt. Ball carries past line of scrimmage and hits red blocker on foot. White recovers...who's gets possession?

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
White gets it.

The partial block is completely ignored for purposes of determining possession, since it occurred either in or behind the expanded neutral zone (2 yards downfield).

Once R (the receiving team) is first to touch (or be touched by) a scrimmage kick beyond the ENZ, it will be first down for whichever team is in possession at the end of the down. Rule 5-1-3(f).

Please note that R's touching is ignored if he is pushed or blocked into the ball by K.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Thanks. I was partially right when I explained it to an irate dad (idiot is closer). I was just in the stands and tried to explain it after it happened. When I said "maybe thats why the ref gave possession to them"...grandpa, not dad, said "you need to go get your rule book". That's ok, I find solice in the fact that they acted like idiots AND were wrong. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.