Clay Chalkville goes from #1 in 6A to 0-9

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The AHSAA has been busy. That doesn't include Prattville's investigation either.

The AHSAA has ordered a total of 24 forfeits over the past two weeks from Class 6A Clay-Chalkville and Wetumpka, Class 5A J.O. Johnson, 4A Sumter Central and 2A Randolph County.

Of those, only Sumter Central will make the playoffs, albeit with a lower seed. The Jaguars fulfilled one requirement to make the playoffs by suspending coach Andre Pickering, who provided false information to the AHSAA during its investigation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the Birmingham News article on it. I'm not sure what I think about this. The player left Huffman and went to another school before transferring to Clay Chalkville. With this ruling, a player can never play athletics again after being expelled even if he or she transfers to another school and is in good standing there.

Ford did not name the player, but did provide a reason for his departure from Huffman.

“From what I understand the kid in question was dismissed from the Birmingham school system,” Ford said. “He got into some trouble and went to Restoration (Academy.) He called and told me that he got everything straight at Restoration and had transferred to Clay.”

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The rule has ALWAYS been like that. Same deal with Chris Keys when he went to North Jackson. If you're not in good standing with your old school a transfer wont help unless you go to an AISA school...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The rule has ALWAYS been like that. Same deal with Chris Keys when he went to North Jackson. If you're not in good standing with your old school a transfer wont help unless you go to an AISA school...
So if I'm in the 9th grade and get suspended and transfer, I can't play at my new AHSAA school my senior year even if I haven't gotten in trouble at that school for over 2 years?

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
The player involved had been expelled from Huffman on December 13, 2010 for a period of one calendar year, which made him ineligible at any other AHSAA school until that time elapsed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The player involved had been expelled from Huffman on December 13, 2010 for a period of one calendar year, which made him ineligible at any other AHSAA school until that time elapsed.
Ok thanks for the info. That makes more sense, but no one has included the length of the expulsion.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It's been well reported he was suspended for one calendar year. That's what got him.

RTR you're not "done for good" if you left your school in bad-standing, but you'll be gone a year at least.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's been well reported he was suspended for one calendar year. That's what got him.

RTR you're not "done for good" if you left your school in bad-standing, but you'll be gone a year at least.
I didn't see the length of his suspension in the articles I read (B'ham News and Montgomery Advertiser). What you guys are saying makes more sense now.

I've wondered from the get-go - did CC not consider the repercussions for him playing?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The AHSAA upheld its ruling today. CC goes from 9-0 and #1 in the state to finishing the season 1-9.
Well you know the school admin. either knew and tried to get away with it or they should've known and they are incompetent!

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Well you know the school admin. either knew and tried to get away with it or they should've known and they are incompetent!
I agree, but there are a lot of teenaged kids on that team who might not. There are the victims here, and they are just kids. This has got to be heartbreaking for them.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I agree, but there are a lot of teenaged kids on that team who might not. There are the victims here, and they are just kids. This has got to be heartbreaking for them.
That's true, and that's the shame of the situation that should never have happened. If the adults knew, that's what happens when you go "all in"!

The AIA took our state softball championship and season away when they found out our coach wasn't certified to teach here in AZ. The AD knew as well as HR, yet it was allowed!

Whether we like it or not WE are role models.

Last edited:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Here's my problem with the way this played out:

Huffman knew the kid had transferred to CC, knew he was playing, and knew he wasn't eligible. The gentlemanly thing to do would be to pick up the phone before the start of the season & alert CC so they could do their due dilligence. Instead, Huffman waited until the end of the season to complain to the AHSAA.

Why?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Huffman knew the kid had transferred to CC, knew he was playing, and knew he wasn't eligible. The gentlemanly thing to do would be to pick up the phone before the start of the season & alert CC so they could do their due dilligence. Instead, Huffman waited until the end of the season to complain to the AHSAA.

Why?
It isn't someone else's job to check the background of students. It's the registrar.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Why?
C'mon J we know why. Payback. If I'm not mistaken Coleman left Huffman after Andre Smith for Shades Valley and is now the DC at Clay. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Plus I'm sure Huffman was holding the "ineligible card" in case at the end of the year they were within a game or so of the playoffs. I've seen coaches do that all the time. It's getting cutthroat time this time of the year and has been like that the past few years. Look at the forfeits the past few years on the last week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Why?
It isn't someone else's job to check the background of students. It's the registrar.
That's what I can't understand. His transcript should say something about being suspended, shouldn't it? Or Why wasn't he asked about transferring to Reformation Academy? CC could have easily found this out, but at the same time, Huffman could have said something earlier...
C'mon J we know why. Payback. If I'm not mistaken Coleman left Huffman after Andre Smith for Shades Valley and is now the DC at Clay. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Plus I'm sure Huffman was holding the "ineligible card" in case at the end of the year they were within a game or so of the playoffs. I've seen coaches do that all the time. It's getting cutthroat time this time of the year and has been like that the past few years. Look at the forfeits the past few years on the last week.
JD pretty much did the same thing to Wetumpka this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well this just got interesting after the judge's ruling today. CC is in the playoffs, which knocks Gadsden City out. The judge will hear the arguments next Wednesday, so CC still could be ineligible. Now with 3 days before the games, teams are having to change gameplans and preparation for who they are playing.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't see it holding up. The AHSAA will take it higher and get it stopped. I'm sure the AHSAA has told the teams to prepare for who they thought they would play this week. If not I'm sure most of the coaches involved in this b.s. knows the injunction will be overturned from the higher ups.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.