Description: You can experiment with different mushrooms and different cheeses with this one.Serving Size: 4Time: 40 minDifficulty: Easy
- Prep time 20 min.
- 4 (7 to 8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- 1 bunch asparagus or baby asparagus
- 2 cups grated pepper jac cheese
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 portobello mushroom, stem removed, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 large or 8-10 small white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup beef brothPreparation:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Butterfly each chicken breast horizontally (do not cut all the way through) to open like a book. Place between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, pound each breast to 1/4 inch thick. Place one fourth of the asparagus lengthwise in each breast, and sprinkle evenly with half the cheese. Roll chicken up over filling and secure with wooden tooth picks. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Instructions:
- 1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 2-3 minutes per side or until brown. Transfer to a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165F.
- 2. Meanwhile, return skillet to medium-low heat. Add shalltos; saute until translucent. Add mushrooms; saute until softened. Season with salt to taste. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 3. In a medium saucepan heat flour over medium-low heat until lightly browned, whisking continuously. Whisk in butter to incorporate; cook 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously. Gradually whisk in broth until well-blended and smooth. Cook 10 minutes or until thickened, whisking continuously. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining cheese. Add mushrooms and shallots.
- 4. Remove chicken from oven. Place on 4 plates, top with mushroom -cheese sauce and serve.