Fake Saban quote about the NC game going around (THREAD FROM 2011)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Fake Saban quote about the NC game going around

Oklahoma St. is already ahead of Alabama in most computer polls, if they beat Oklahoma they will probably be ahead with all the computers, so that combined with a voter revolt is the only scenario that keeps Alabama out of the BCS game.
Nope, as of this week Alabama leads OSU in four of the six computer polls and is several spots ahead of OSU in the two human polls...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA

I think people are forgetting the last part of the non-quote: "but if a team loses to a 27 pt underdog that is probably going to end up 6-6 on the year, AND the 6-6 team is excited to just be bowling because it historically doesn't happen, and you don't play in a conf. championship game because there isn't one....then all bets are off and the clearly better teams should go to the BCSNCG....that's just my opinion...aiight"

AUTigers001

1st Team
Feb 3, 2010

Speaking of fake Saban quotes: " If Kirby does leave for a head coaching position Ted Roof is at the top if my list to replace him.". #fakesabanquotes

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006

Last week OSU was ahead of Bama in the computers. They didn't play this week while Bama did, soBama jumped them. A win over OU would likely jump them over Bama in the computers again. However, they are 5th in the Coaches AND Harris poll.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Nope, as of this week Alabama leads OSU in four of the six computer polls and is several spots ahead of OSU in the two human polls...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs
You're right, I got that backwards. I know OSU is 5th in the human polls, but they WILL jump Alabama in the remaining computer polls if they beat OU. I know the human polls, hence the references to VT and so on. The scenarios play out the same as I broke them down, (remember OU is 5th in computer polls) but sorry for getting that part wrong.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

The quote in question just sounds out of character for a coach who is always saying he does not worry about things beyond his control.
I just have a hard time imagining CNS saying anything like that. Of course, this was during his LSU days, so maybe he was a little meshuga back then, to fit in with the crowd.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The Irony about all of this is -- is that if UGA beats LSU, and Oklahoma would beat OSU, then the National Championship Game, using this criteria would only allow the following teams to compete for the National Championship:

Georgia
Oklahoma
Oregon/UCLA
Va Tech/Clemson
Wisconsin/Mich State
Louisville
Houston
TCU

You'd take out Bama, LSU, Stanford and OSU.....

That would be fun! :rolleyes:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

WHy is everyone worried about Oklahoma State? There is a gap between Bama and OSU in BCS Poll, and it would take a lot for them to jump ahead of Bama. Alabama is pretty much safe to play for the championship.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Or you could just use a REAL Les Miles quote from their 2-loss 2007 championship season, "We're undefeated in regulation." :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006

Because Alabama is one of the most hated programs. Let's face it....when you win as much as we have people will do ANYTHING to prevent you from winning anymore. OSU is the flash new kid in town. I'm not worried, but I'm not 100% confident either. It would not surprise me if some voters vote OSU #2 next week and Alabama #5, just because they hate Alabama/the SEC.

Lady Crimson

Suspended
Oct 13, 2011

WHy is everyone worried about Oklahoma State? There is a gap between Bama and OSU in BCS Poll, and it would take a lot for them to jump ahead of Bama. Alabama is pretty much safe to play for the championship.
I guess we are just worried about the "lot"...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

I am not really worried so much with Okie Light as I am with VA Tech. Something tells me that they could be the team that voters would pile on for a non-all SEC national championship if they clean up Clemson. However, if LSU beats Georgia as expected, I don't think it matters. It's a rematch.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I am not really worried so much with Okie Light as I am with VA Tech. Something tells me that they could be the team that voters would pile on for a non-all SEC national championship if they clean up Clemson. However, if LSU beats Georgia as expected, I don't think it matters. It's a rematch.

I think it would be great for the voters to jump on va tech, their computer score for va tech is like 11. So it would help for them to vote va tech and take votes away from Oklahoma state.

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006

I think it would be great for the voters to jump on va tech, their computer score for va tech is like 11. So it would help for them to vote va tech and take votes away from Oklahoma state.
Exactly. With the projected computer scores for next week Brad Edwards has said that OSU would need 25% of 2nd place votes and 75% 3rd place votes to pass Alabama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

They should be, but let's consider the bad scenario. VT loses, and Okie. St wins big.

Remember, Oklahoma is 5th in the computer polls, Okie St. is barely in third place. By beating Oklahoma they automatically jump to second.

Then, if VT loses, it clears the path for even ethical voters to vote for Okie. St. over Alabama. As it stands Okie. St. is in 5th, but if they beat up on Oklahoma it's pretty fair to think they jump Stanford. VT though, if they beat a good Clemson team becomes harder to jump, especially in the coaches where VT is third and Okie. St is sixth. It's hard to argue that if both win, Okie St. deserves to jump VT and Stanford. If VT and Okie. St. wins I think a likely outcome would be Alabama 2, VT 3 and Okie. St. 4 in the coaches and that would avert disaster. In the Harris, it's more possible for Okie St. to jump VT with a win as they only have to go up one spot. Okie. St. being 4th in just one poll should be enough to keep them out of the BCS.

However, the potential for Okie. St. to be third in both human polls (or even worse, second) is a real risk. If LSU loses, it becomes almost impossible to predict the outcome. Let's just run through a couple likely scenarios.

Okie. St. wins, LSU wins, VT loses:
Okie. St would likely be 3/3/2
Alabama would likely be 2/2/3
This is assuming relatively vanilla outcomes, Okie. St. wins but not in a huge blowout.

Okie. St. wins by a BLOWOUT, LSU wins, VT loses:
Okie. St. could become 2/3/2
Alabama could become 3/2/3
This scenario keeps Alabama out. Basically, the Harris Poll could decide that a Okie St. win was so big they jump a losing VT team and an idle Stanford and Alabama. If that happens, Alabama is out.

I looked back over things again and I don't really see how LSU losing could hurt Alabama. Considering the dynamics of the poll, it would actually provide an extra obstacle for Okie. St. in the Harris as not only do they have to pass up VT somehow, and an idle Stanford but they'd have to jump LSU and Alabama in order for it to hurt Alabama. Going 5th to 1st is highly unlikely in either poll and it's also highly unlikely that LSU loses but doesn't move down a single spot in the polls. So, realistically, if LSU loses it comes to where LSU lands and the computer polls as to which goes. For instance, the polls could be like this:
Okie. St. 3/2/1
Alabama 1/1/3
LSU 2/3/2
In that scenario, the only safe team is Alabama as it comes down to how far things shake up in the polls. So, I'm not really worried about LSU losing as it seems highly unlikely something bad (for Alabama) comes of that.

The risk that is looming (like some of the Heisman talk in which candidates have been left off a ballot intentionally to hurt their chances) is that the pollsters realize they can choose who they want to play and act accordingly. For instance, thankfully the AP is out of the BCS as they already have Oklahoma St. at third. If you want to see AP antics, it's there in black and white. Stanford won convincingly and Okie. St was idle yet they moved Okie. St. from 5th to 3rd, jumping #4 Stanford. The reason for doing this was simple, they wanted to set the table for Okie. St to jump Alabama if they beat Oklahoma. That's all there is to it, they were manipulating the results and going against the logic of their previous votes (they did the same in the OU/LSU/USC year, in which they took votes they had given to LSU or OU and gave them to USC in the final poll simply to run counter to the BCS. There is an article on ESPN detailing how Okie. St. has a chance as well if you want to read it: http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/54347/oklahoma-state-making-strides

So, the AP poll already has a plan in place to crown Okie. St their champs (If they win and LSU loses). There has to be some concern that this kind of blatant manipulation spill over to another poll, but I do consider it highly unlikely as no other poll has that kind of history of going with who they want over who is deserving.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

However, the potential for Okie. St. to be third in both human polls (or even worse, second) is a real risk. If LSU loses, it becomes almost impossible to predict the outcome. Let's just run through a couple likely scenarios.
I still think if they are third in both polls, and 2nd in the computers -- we'd still be in the title game..... They'd have to be 2nd in at least one of the polls. Especially if we are able to maintain a lead in 2 of the 6 computers.....

It would help if there were upsets across the boards in the Big 12 -- to somewhat weaken OSUs computer strength!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.