Star Wars: The Old Republic

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Anyone else going to be playing this game? Or has anyone been part of the beta testing? It sounds a lot like other MMO's but set in a more "known" environment.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
played the beta. its a wow clone with a star wars skin. its kinda sad that after 6 years, no one can build upon what WoW has done and make the MMO genre any better.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
I also played the beta and kind of agree on the WoW clone perception as noted by jeremy. But it does have some features that make it different. But the "video" for each quest where you get the voice talent can be exhausting. And you get to choose from three options when interacting with the quest giver.

As for WoW it is still the top of the mountain on MMO's and I'm not sure how you can make an MMO better than that other than changing the setting/ story ala Star Wars, super hero, etc...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. I did WoW for a couple years and it got kinda old (mainly b/c of the grinding mats and I never got into the story). What interests me about SWTOR is the fact that you don't HAVE to grind mats for professions, but can send out your allies (or whatever they're called) to do it (sounds like Eve in that it's on a timer). I'm sure there will still be grinding for gold/credits and rep if you wanted to do that. But it also has the familiar setting of Jedi/Sith and that lore kinda intrigues me more than an unknown world of orcs and goblins, etc. Plus the weaponry is cooler to think about with lightsabers and blasters compared to swords and axes.

Yall going republic or empire? And what advanced class are you leveling? I am thinking of guardian or juggernaut because I enjoyed tanking in Wow.

Last edited:

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
I pre-ordered and have had a lot of fun playing so far. The story and picking your dialogue choices does add another element to it. If you don't want to deal with cut scenes, then this is not the best game to play since there are tons of them. I'm a big fan of the old KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect games, so this is the type of game I enjoy playing other than NCAA Football.

I've made one of each class on one server, but have focused on Jedi Knight for the most part. Every class has a unique story.

I don't remember ever enjoying WoW nearly as much, but that's just me. Not my intention to put down the most successful MMO.

All that being said, there is lots of room for improvements.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Yeah, I started playing it in January and I am going Sith side with a Bounty Hunter Power Tech. Still low lvl (18 or 19), so I haven't done too much of anything.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.