McElwain to Colorado State

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
If it's feasible, I hope he stays on to coach the BCSCG. However, if he can't, congrats on a great tenure and thanks for everything.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If true, I wish Coach Mac the best. He has been a very good coach and mentor for or QB's. He has done a very good job as OC calling plays as well IMHO.

As far as the BCS game, well be fine with or without him. I guarantee Coach Saban has a plan for whatever happens.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
What about Tony Sparano...who the Dolphins fired today? Both CNS and he are in the Parcells coaching line. Although my guess would be that Sparano gets another chance as a head coach somewhere.

But I completely trust whomever CNS decides to pick.

And good luck to McElwain at Colorado St...I think it is a good fit.

Lady Crimson

Suspended
Oct 13, 2011
Are all these coaching rumors really helpful or constructive?

We have people congratulating him without even knowing if it is true or not?

We have a huge game coming up...

Last edited:

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I would think CSU would be understanding and realize this is a "once in a lifetime" type game (where you have a chance to get revenge on a conference rival in the NCG). Surely they'll allow him to stay and coach it. I can't see a MWC team missing out on some blue chip recruits because they didn't have a head coach for a month.
It will not be about CSU allowing him to coach in the BCSNCG. It will be CNS allowing him to stick around with all the preparation required. CJM will be pulled in two different directions and not have the time required to do either of them as well as he is capable. I believe CNS will say thank you and move on. As much as I would like to have him, he needs to move on and get up to speed with recruiting and hiring a staff ASAP.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
So, he's leaving before the bowl game, wait, not just a bowl game the national title game. Thanks for nothing. Coaching changes before bowl games don't normally turn out too good. I hate how schools allow there staffs to be picked apart before the bowl games.
That happens. Cut left for Ole Miss leaving Randy Sanders to call the NC game for UT against FSU in 98.

tideronthehooch

1st Team
Nov 29, 2001
Roswell, GA
Its really a good sign if other programs want your assistants to be their head coach. Can't fault Mac for taking the job. I'm not sure if it would be better for him to stay through the BCSNCG if he was distracted or for CNS to give Mike Groh the interim tag and let him audition for the position. Could be risky to do that, but I'm sure he would be focused and would throw in a few wrinkles that LSU and Chavis have not seen before.

What about Tony Sparano...who the Dolphins fired today? Both CNS and he are in the Parcells coaching line. Although my guess would be that Sparano gets another chance as a head coach somewhere.

But I completely trust whomever CNS decides to pick.

And good luck to McElwain at Colorado St...I think it is a good fit.
Sparano was never even an offensive coordinator before becoming a head coach.

Some numbers to crunch:

Alabama's offensive rankings under McElwain: 63 (2008), 42 (2009), 22 (2010), 30 (2011). Throw a Heisman winner in there as well. Alabama's offense before McElwain: 75 (2007 under Applewhite) and 65 (2006... the highest it ever got under Shula's tenure as coach)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Have any recent coordinator been asked to pull out of a championship game? It would seem to me that the team doing the hiring would not want to be responsible for hurting a teams chances in the championship game, plus all the betting money. That would be a heavy burden to carry for no reason. He can do both.

I can not see any reason why he would not coach the game. This is Colorado State, not Notre Dame.

It will not be about CSU allowing him to coach in the BCSNCG. It will be CNS allowing him to stick around with all the preparation required. CJM will be pulled in two different directions and not have the time required to do either of them as well as he is capable. I believe CNS will say thank you and move on. As much as I would like to have him, he needs to move on and get up to speed with recruiting and hiring a staff ASAP.
Agreed. Coach Saban isn't going to allow his attention to be in two places. It's commit to one or the other.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Looked at Cecil's tiwtter account and nothing has been posted. Where are you seeing it? There is some guy posting it, but frankly it looks a little sketchy.
More than a little sketchy. Examiner.com has a credibility rep somewhere south of Bleacher Report, and the source cited in the report links to a story behind a paywall.

It could be true, but I think I'd like to see something from one of our beats before I buy this.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
There is not a snowball chance in heck that he does not coach the championship game unless Coach Saban tells him not to, if this hire is correct. No smaller team wants to effect a BCS Championship by forcing a crucial coach to pull out. Never happen. He will be in the press box on the 9th.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I'd say this is pretty solid. He turned down the Fresno State job over the weekend, where he was rumored to be on the short list and had some historic ties. Lots of outlets have gone with it, including T News and Birmingham News. Awful lot of smoke if no fire.

I wish him luck if he goes. I expect recruiting to Fort Collins can be a little challenging so he may need a head start.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Congrats to Coach, I hope he has success wherever he goes. I just hope he stays for the big game.

Colorado state is not in a bowl game. So most likely he will stay with us through the NC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.