McElwain to Colorado State

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There's been talk about McElwain and Smart being in the mix for HC spots for some time now.

I'm sure Saban has a contingency plan in place. My guess is that it's either Groh or someone from the outside.

I don't think we'd miss McElwain that much in the preparation phase for January 9. Where it would tell on us is in playcalling during the game itself.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Coach Mac was one of my favorites, I wish him great success, but dang I sure would have liked to see him just one more year. I think he did what CNS wanted so all the folks that thought he did not do his or that I just believe he has a set of guidelines after all it is Coach Saban's neck. I thought he did an outstanding job with our young QB's. He is the kind of guy that will do the right thing, he will be at the Big Game.

Don't want to sound mean here but I thought he could do better than CSU but I'm sure CJM knows best.

Thank You Coach, you will always be a Tide Man in my book.
This. But maybe a) the expectations there are lower so he'll have more time, b) the money is good and c) the altitude is just right...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Like....like...like....

He's gone guys. Coach Saban has called a staff meeting to notify the rest of the staff. Wish him well and hopefully we can send him off on a high note
Now see? If only the coaches kept up on tide fans, they wouldn't have to waste time in meetings.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
........ he calls the plays and it's hard to imagine anyone stepping in with the limited practices they'll have and doing better than even a distracted McElwain would do........
Someone mentioned that Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss and skipped their Championship game, but Phat Fulmer(felt good to say that again), was an offensive coach. Coach Mac has the keys to the offense and he knows the position his absence would put us in. Coach Saban knows the philosophy and plays but probably not all the names. I just hope that Coach McElwain didn't miss out on a job he liked better because of the game, but I bet he wants to be there as much as we want him to be there. It's crucial to our success in the game. It's easy to throw out all the emotions involved and declare that he is now a Colorodo State property blah blah blah, but CJM deserves to call this game. Coaches always have to assume that there is a good chance that this may be the last opportunity to play on this stage. It's a win for him, Colorado State, our team, the game and us fans that he will be there. I hope they mention Colorado State a dozen times during the game and talk up how great of a coach he is, which they will. Every mention of Colorado State and Jim McElwain in the game is like paying for a national commercial introducing your next coach. And Colorado State is probably not an extremely wealthy program at this time.

"Sorry coach can't come to the phone right now, he's coaching in the the National Championship game tonight, but I'll make sure he calls your son about that scholarship first thing in the morning."

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Someone mentioned that Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss and skipped their Championship game, but Phat Fulmer(felt good to say that again), was an offensive coach. Coach Mac has the keys to the offense and he knows the position his absence would put us in. Coach Saban knows the philosophy and plays but probably not all the names. I just hope that Coach McElwain didn't miss out on a job he liked better because of the game, but I bet he wants to be there as much as we want him to be there. It's crucial to our success in the game. It's easy to throw out all the emotions involved and declare that he is now a Colorodo State property blah blah blah, but CJM deserves to call this game. Coaches always have to assume that there is a good chance that this may be the last opportunity to play on this stage. It's a win for him, Colorado State, our team, the game and us fans that he will be there. I hope they mention Colorado State a dozen times during the game and talk up how great of a coach he is, which they will. Every mention of Colorado State and Jim McElwain in the game is like paying for a national commercial introducing your next coach. And Colorado State is probably not an extremely wealthy program at this time.

"Sorry coach can't come to the phone right now, he's coaching in the the National Championship game tonight, but I'll make sure he calls your son about that scholarship first thing in the morning."
CJM got the best job possible relative to his experience. I'm very happy for him; he could use CSU as a stepping stone to the Pac-12. We should all wish him well.

mwlewis

Sep 13, 2011
Good move by Jim and good luck to him. Now we need a OC that will better at getting us in the end zone and getting our red zone percentage up. Im not knocking McElwain, I think he is a great offensive coordinator, but I see this as a chance to only get better. Im hoping Saban is looking at Joe Gruden, Tom Clements, and Paul Chryst. Any of those guys would be good picks for OC, especially Chryst but it will be hard to pull him away from his alma mater but money talks.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Coach Mac, I wish you and your family well and am happy that you had this oportunity and was able to take advantage. Thanks for the memories.
Godspeed to you, Sir.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
good luck coach. Thanks for everything you did for us.
I'm sure CNS has a few guys on his speed dial, and we'll know who our next OC will be with in a week.
I just hope CJM sticks around for this bowl game, but I won't blame him if he has to leave now and hit recruiting hard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.