McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If only there was some kind of amendment that would make sure Greg could say how he felt about things whether he was a rookie or a 20 year veteran.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
On local ESPN radio, Big Nate Newton stuck up for GMac. Ok, he is biased, since he knows him and his dad. The gist was "You can hate the kid, but you should be wishing he was on your team."

Nate was hard on the real culprits. He also took exception to Joe Willy's stance.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
What would you define as the league's "glory days"? The NFL is currently the most popular sport in the country, and it's not even close. It wasn't like that in the late 60's, 70's, 80's, and even part of the 90's.
Back when they played in the rain, mud, and snow. When the players gave effort. The practices were in full pads. When hard hits weren't outlawed, they were encouraged. When the players actually had to work jobs in the offseason. When every story wasn't about which player had been selling drugs, shooting people, raping college kids, or killing dogs. The league has been the most popular for decades. Today, it's unwatchable. The players jog down the field. Drop easy catches. Every team has artificial turf and every team plays artificial football. Anyone who's played organized football beyond the pee-wee league knows that the NFL is not football.

You can watch the league all you want and love any specific team, but know this: the team's players don't care if they win or lose. They're waiting for the next paycheck. Have you ever seen an NFL player cry after being eliminated from the playoffs? I've never even seen one look frustrated. The passion is just not there.

There are a few, notable exceptions to this rule. I'd say that Wes Welker is one of the more passionate players in the game. Peyton Manning invests many hours into his team's success. Tim Tebow has left everything on the field for the Broncos this season. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have devoted their adult lives to the Ravens defense. Beyond that, you have the Albert Haynesworth type.

Back when they played in the rain, mud, and snow. When the players gave effort. The practices were in full pads. When hard hits weren't outlawed, they were encouraged. When the players actually had to work jobs in the offseason. When every story wasn't about which player had been selling drugs, shooting people, raping college kids, or killing dogs. The league has been the most popular for decades. Today, it's unwatchable. The players jog down the field. Drop easy catches. Every team has artificial turf and every team plays artificial football. Anyone who's played organized football beyond the pee-wee league knows that the NFL is not football.

You can watch the league all you want and love any specific team, but know this: the team's players don't care if they win or lose. They're waiting for the next paycheck. Have you ever seen an NFL player cry after being eliminated from the playoffs? I've never even seen one look frustrated. The passion is just not there.

There are a few, notable exceptions to this rule. I'd say that Wes Welker is one of the more passionate players in the game. Peyton Manning invests many hours into his team's success. Tim Tebow has left everything on the field for the Broncos this season. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have devoted their adult lives to the Ravens defense. Beyond that, you have the Albert Haynesworth type.
Again, you mentioned you haven't watched a full game in sometime so how do you know all these specifics about the league?

But I feel like debunking some things here:

Back when they played in the rain, mud, and snow
I know you don't follow the league, but Green Bay and New England have home-field in the playoffs. Chances are pretty good we'll be seeing playoff games in bad weather conditions. Not to mention if things end up in Pittsburgh or San Francisco.

When every story wasn't about which player had been selling drugs, shooting people, raping college kids, or killing dogs
You can find degenerates in the league in pretty much any decade.

Every team has artificial turf
The Redskins, Chiefs, Dolphins, Broncos, Panthers, Browns, Packers, Chargers, Texans, 49ers, Eagles, Titans, Jaguars, Bucs, Steelers, Cardinals, Raiders, and Bears would disagree with that statement. Over half the league plays on grass, including teams with retractable roof stadiums.

Have you ever seen an NFL player cry after being eliminated from the playoffs? I've never even seen one look frustrated
Yes I have... and I've seen them get incredibly emotional without crying. Then again, you said you really don't watch the NFL so how would you know? I invite you to watch the games this weekend to see how teams react, especially when they lose in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
I think it's time for the Mods or Someone to step in

WOW I've never seen TideFans like this before. Hey, Gmac made his statement - he is a member of the Jets team, he can do that. If he gets canned because of it, he is a big boy and will have to carry the penalty for it. If, he doesn't get canned, maybe it will wake some of the others. But in any case we don't need to attack each other like this.

Gator

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Re: I think it's time for the Mods or Someone to step in

Was Greg interviewed on Colin Cowherd's show today? We were tied up during the show. If he did, what did he say?

For the record, our local ESPN station announcer supported Greg, too. But then, he's been accused by Vol fans of favoring Bama in general.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

See, the thing about the old days is....they're the old days.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

WOW I've never seen TideFans like this before. Hey, Gmac made his statement - he is a member of the Jets team, he can do that. If he gets canned because of it, he is a big boy and will have to carry the penalty for it. If, he doesn't get canned, maybe it will wake some of the others. But in any case we don't need to attack each other like this.

Gator
Gator, I think we're all just READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLL!!!!!!!

I support GMac on what he did. Listen, you can say he didn't contribute, and no he wasn't a starter, and may not have done anything to have an impact on the field during a game, but he's a part of that team, and i'm sure he contributed in practice. He's honest, and I respect the heck out of that. As a matter of fact, I think that is what the nfl needs a little bit more of, is people that care about the team as a whole, and not just about what they do individually. Just my opinion.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Was Greg interviewed on Colin Cowherd's show today? We were tied up during the show. If he did, what did he say?

For the record, our local ESPN station announcer supported Greg, too. But then, he's been accused by Vol fans of favoring Bama in general.
This kind of stuff belongs on the NS board.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

some of these comments on the NFL has me :conf2: and :mad2:.. lets leave those comments for those of us who follow the pro game. i've read some things that just downright arent true and some that are just plain dumb.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN

This kind of stuff belongs on the NS board.
You may be right, Red Star, but my post just continued earlier topics already talked about on this thread. Doesn't the whole thread belong on either the NS or on the pro board? It made me wonder when it showed up here -- and stayed. Enjoy your day and especially enjoy tomorrow night when we monkey or elephant stomp LSU!

tidegrandpa

All-American

You may be right, Red Star, but my post just continued earlier topics already talked about on this thread. Doesn't the whole thread belong on either the NS or on the pro board? It made me wonder when it showed up here -- and stayed. Enjoy your day and especially enjoy tomorrow night when we monkey or elephant stomp LSU!
I put this on the Bama football forum, not because of the JETS. Because of the PLUCK and GRIT of a Bama player calling things as he sees them and letting the chips fall where they will.
I appreciate people like that and am proud he is a Bama man.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

It was a joke. If you frequent that delinquent board enough, you'd get it ;) No disrespect was meant.

I put this on the Bama football forum, not because of the JETS. Because of the PLUCK and GRIT of a Bama player calling things as he sees them and letting the chips fall where they will.
I appreciate people like that and am proud he is a Bama man.
It's a perfectly fine thread for the football board. It's a good topic to discuss, as evidence by the 14 (and counting) pages. I promise, no disrespect was meant. Probably only a dozen or so people got the joke anyway.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN

We are all getting scrappy! Or maybe just I am because of being tense -- positive, but still tense -- about tomorrow night. For the record, I'm proud of McElroy and am happy the thread was on the Football forum. Usually the mods are quick to move threads about pros away, so this was unusual -- that's all.

Cowherd announced Thursday that Greg would be on his show Friday. It would have stirred ESPN up for yet another 24-hour news cycle. . . so it seems that he may have passed on it after all. RTR

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

most of these nfl players see football as all they have,so dont rock the boat. GMac is a very smart young man football is not his only option he can rock the boat and let the chips fall, cause he will do well with or without football for a paycheck. most of these thugs today cant say that. imo.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The board has slowed down except for the burp over the next couple of days for the CG. When it's off-season, we'll let a thread stay up about a recent Bama player. However, in this instance, the thread has devolved down into an endless circle, chasing its tail, so we'll let it die a natural death...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.