McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonBleedRed

All-American
Nov 24, 2007
United States
I love Greg but a late round rookie who missed the whole season with an injury is in no position to talk. He may be right (and he is) but he hasn't earn enough locker room credit to speak as candidly as he did. My opinion is, McElroy will be looking for a new job ASAP.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I imagine it is difficult to go from a structured, team first mentality that Saban instills at Alabama to a free for all me me me mentality that makes up the nfl. Kinda like going from the Military back to civilian life.. it's quiet the adjustment.

TiderB

All-American
Dec 18, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Even though Greg probably doesn't have the clout to make these statements, if this were my team I'd want somebody calling out people like this. Even if he is a 3rd string QB. Should he have made these statements? Probably not. But I bet it'll stir up enough of a hornets nest that things will get better one way or another.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes, he should have kept his mouth shut on this issue. He'll never have a presence in that locker room now, and will likely get cut.

However, it was the truth. Rex Ryan is the biggest loudmouth bag of hot air in sports, and his team is full of overrated prima donas. Too bad Greg was caught up in all that mess, and hopefully he'll find a better home somewhere else.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE
Greg told the truth. Everyone knows it. He is smart enough to play pro football, but no one will want to block for him. I think he is done. RTR.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Yep. I love Greg but he really has no right to have any public opinion at all about what was wrong with the attitude of the team. Especially when he's never played a single down in a regular season NFL game.

Shew! I hope it doesn't happen but I'd be surprised if they don't release him.

Greg may not have realized it but when he said "If you go down our roster top to bottom there's no reason we shouldn't be a championship team"....well....uh....that, in a way,
implies, "We have talent..the coaches couldn't get it done".

And even if he talks about player attitudes and them not "Buying in" well, er Greg, this isn't college. NFL coaches that can't get players to buy in get fired and replaced by someone who can INDEED get the players to buy in. The owners don't fire players who have guaranteed 50 million dollar contracts. They fire coaches who .... them off.(Make them mad lol)

Not a good move by Greg. He may be working for ESPN sooner than later cause Rex Ryan ain't gonna like this at TALL...lol

sip
Sip - This is a rare occasion but I totally and completely disagree. GMAC earned the right to wear that uniform, thus to say anything he wants to say. He plays the position that calls for such leadership. If Sanchez were to lead, GMAC could stay quiet. Meanwhile, I applaud his nerve, knowing that what you suggest as his fate could well be the result. I predict this will earn him the starting job before this is all over.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Greg understands the individual aspect of the NFL which is why i think his comments were a mistake. i wouldnt be surprised to see a lack of effort by an offensive lineman or 2 if he's still there for the preseason next year. i know that sounds extreme but in the NFL it can be every man for himself

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
I appreciate all Greg did while at Alabama, but I always felt his arrogance exceeded his ability. I didnt care for his comments to the effect of his championship ring not saying "beat Texas without Colt McCoy". I agree with CBR. A late round rookie who never saw the field during the regular season due to injury doesnt need to be spouting off about anything.

Last edited:

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010
Please, do not take the following personal. It is how I see it:

To all who say he has no right to speak, you are wrong. He is in the locker room everyday with these players, he can see crystal clear how much the team is or is not gelling due to him being placed on IR and not really having to focus on football, and, even though he is a rookie, he is a leader at heart.

For all who think that the only reason we are commending him for his speaking out because we are Bama fans, you are also wrong. According to most Jets fans, NFL personal, and TV analysts he did right by the team and might have earned himself a spot in a QB competition this offseason.

McElroy spoke the truth and could change the way the locker room acts even as a rookie. His statements were powerful (All over the news) and intelligent. Glad he wore Crimson!!! RTR

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
To all who say he has no right to speak, you are wrong. He is in the locker room everyday with these players, he can see crystal clear how much the team is or is not gelling
I have the right to fart in public, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Yes, he has the right, but NFL locker rooms are a fragile environment, and I can assure you that many veterans are none too thrilled with him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I appreciate all Greg did while at Alabama, but I always felt his arrogance exceeding his ability. I didnt care for his comments to the effect of his championship ring not saying "beat Texas without Colt McCoy". I agree with CBR. A late round rookie who never saw the field during the regular season due to injury doesnt need to be spouting off about anything.
And Greg probably didn't appreciate the question/comment the sideline reporter asked/said that suggested that was the reason we won either....

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
I love it! Greg has balls!
^^THIS^^ I've been a Jets fan since Joe Willie and Richard Todd played with them. Anybody that don't call 'em like he sees 'em ain't worth his salt. Joe used to walk over to the sidelines to Coach Weeb Eubanks and say that guy ain't gettin' it done. Put his butt on the bench and get me somebody that will do the job. That team needs exactly that kind of leadership. Greg may not have Joe's talent but he's got moxie and intelligence. A hard combination to defeat.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I have the right to fart in public, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Yes, he has the right, but NFL locker rooms are a fragile environment, and I can assure you that many veterans are none too thrilled with him.
So what? It seems too me that is their problem, not McElroy's. They should be upset with themselves for not putting in the effort, not the guy who points it out. Its like getting upset at a friend because he turned you in for robbing a gas station. You are the idiot who tried robbing the place, not your friend. I'll admit I am no Pro fan, but I hardly see this as Greg ratting out the team. He is just calling it as he sees it, and it clearly needs to be said. :)

So what? It seems too me that is their problem, not McElroy's. They should be upset with themselves for not putting in the effort, not the guy who points it out. Its like getting upset at a friend because he turned you in for robbing a gas station. You are the idiot who tried robbing the place, not your friend. I'll admit I am no Pro fan, but I hardly see this as Greg ratting out the team. He is just calling it as he sees it, and it clearly needs to be said. :)
Most locker rooms operate under the practice of "Keep it within the family". You don't air the dirty laundry to outsiders. Now we don't know if Greg stepped up and said the same thing to the locker room, but I would doubt it.

Granted, though, if you want to to get a taste of how dysfunctional the Jets are... do a search for the bits that came out the day after the season ended. Tempter tantrums were the norm for some of their star players (Bart Scott and Santonio Holmes, who has been the source of a lot of issues)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Most locker rooms operate under the practice of "Keep it within the family". You don't air the dirty laundry to outsiders. Now we don't know if Greg stepped up and said the same thing to the locker room, but I would doubt it.

Granted, though, if you want to to get a taste of how dysfunctional the Jets are... do a search for the bits that came out the day after the season ended. Tempter tantrums were the norm for some of their star players (Bart Scott and Santonio Holmes, who has been the source of a lot of issues)
I think the emergence of Twitter has all but destroyed this long time "gentlemen's agreement". I've noticed over the last two years or so nothing stays "in house".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.