McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Lets put this thing in perspective. How would we like it as Bama fans if our backup freshman injured quarterback who has yet to take a snap, and for all we know never will, got on the radio and started discussing our team and its problems over the air ways. I think we would find many less that would defend him...just sayin'

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I have Joe Namath as a "friend" on Facebook. I asked him about this situation. Here is his reply:

I'm not surprised by Greg McElroy's feelings regarding his "selfish teammates" and the "corrupt mindset in the locker room." However, I am surprised he disclosed them publicly. (Which he might now regret having done...) But, Greg is a sincere guy and he has never before experienced the individualistic egos some pro players have. There's an old saying about one or two bad apples ruining and rotting the bunch (or bushel). Let's hope Coach Ryan and Tannenbaum will make positive changes this offseason!

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Anyone should be allowed to speak their mind whether they are a rookie or a 10 year veteran. The truth is the truth and he just spoke it.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Lets put this thing in perspective. How would we like it as Bama fans if our backup freshman injured quarterback who has yet to take a snap, and for all we know never will, got on the radio and started discussing our team and its problems over the air ways. I think we would find many less that would defend him...just sayin'
Can't really compare the two, IMO.
The Jets have a coach who always talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk... either do the players. We've all heard the reports of discord within the organization (rifts with S. Holmes and a multitude of players). The Jets are horribly underachieving and did not make the playoffs..... The Jets aren't playing meaningful games.
We, on the other hand, are playing for and competing for national championships and SEC championships. Our culture is completely different and much more positive.
The coaches don't allow the caustic atmosphere that is obviously hurting the Jets' locker room.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Didn't stay in Alabama long it's gotten out Link though the staff and upper management will most likely disagree and Greg won't be around next year the overwhelming response of comments agree and applaud him for his words.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Greg probably considers himself an adult and more than comfortable with the responsibility and accountability that comes with actions or words. He probably could care less what we think which is probably a good way of looking at it.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Being right is being right. It doesnt matter how many years you have or havent played. We criticize football players and teams every single day on this board...and most of us havent played football on any level.
That's apples to oranges. I think my boss is an idiot when it comes to tax accounting and tax planning. The only reason he's an equity partner is b/c of his book of business which was obtained though family connections. It would be beyond stupid for me to say that in a public forum.

We know and love him as a national championship quarterback and leader. People in the NFL and with the Jets see him as a the 7th round draft pick who is running his mouth. I agree with Buzzard. My first thought was that this isn't going to go over well in that locker room. Greg may think the is an alpha, but he does not want to be in a confrontation with someone like Holmes, Cromartie, or Scott.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Being right and handling it right are two different things.

In this case, Greg didn't handle it right. Suprises me a little.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Anyone should be allowed to speak their mind whether they are a rookie or a 10 year veteran. The truth is the truth and he just spoke it.
So random reshirt freshman tweeting or saying something needs to be done about the special teams and kicking would be with you?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
McElroy is hands down my Favorite 'Bama QB and I think he has the ability to be a successful NFL QB but airing this kind of dirty laundry could make the journey to success a bumpy one.

Although I will say this (and to my shock I'm agreeing with Skip Bayless here)...Greg is a very VERY intelligent person and this had to have been a premeditated and calculated move on his part. I have to think he was trying show that he is a leader with backbone that can observe, diagnose, eradicate, and stand up to problems on a team. He is a 3rd string back-up who says to himself "I can be the starter and lead this team when the other guy obviously can't".

Whether this backfires on him only time will tell. Greg has grapefruits though....you gotta give the boy that much.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
McElroy is hands down my Favorite 'Bama QB and I think he has the ability to be a successful NFL QB but airing this kind of dirty laundry could make the journey to success a bumpy one.

Although I will say this (and to my shock I'm agreeing with Skip Bayless here)...Greg is a very VERY intelligent person and this had to have been a premeditated and calculated move on his part. I have to think he was trying show that he is a leader with backbone that can observe, diagnose, eradicate, and stand up to problems on a team. He is a 3rd string back-up who says to himself "I can be the starter and lead this team when the other guy obviously can't".

Whether this backfires on him only time will tell. Greg has grapefruits though....you gotta give the boy that much.
It it very well could be a calculated move. Time will tell if it was the right one.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I imagine Greg knows he isn't going to be an NFL starter. He might get some mop up duty to spot duty in case of an injury, but nobody is going to have him as their day 1 starter. He knows that. He's enjoying life as an NFL player and gaining experience for when he's an executive.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
Yes, he should have kept his mouth shut on this issue. He'll never have a presence in that locker room now, and will likely get cut.
Or maybe it will go the other direction and the talented folks in that lockerroom will rally and do something about the selfishness. Maybe he wasn't just speaking for himself but for others as well.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If I was in his shoes and situation I'd kept my mouth shut plain and simple and it would have nothing to do with the impact on me having a spot on the Jets or a career somewhere else. The NFL might be a professional football league with professional football players but that doesn't mean they act that way or handle things in a mature, adult manner.

I've watched people get their butts beat in locker room over less.....MUCH LESS. Greg's not dealing with college kids anymore. He's dealing with grown men with egos equal to or greater than his and the immaturity of a 5 year old. I'd hate to get my face bashed in (literally) when I didn't have to.
I venture to say Greg's not afraid of them.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Apples to oranges. These are grown men in a tough environment. Greg showed guts and I have no doubt fully understands what he may face in the locker room.

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
While I don't necessarily agree with McElroy calling out his team to the media, I think the backlash from a few of his teammates is hypocritical, childish, and somewhat telling in terms of the issues McElroy was trying to bring to light. You can't call out a teammate publicly for calling out teammates (anonymously) publicly. If your point is that these things should be handled internally then you need to practice what you preach. Otherwise you just sound like you're whining. On top of that most of the twitter attacks were pretty personal while McElroy made sure not to mention any names.

In my mind this just reinforces McElroy's point about the mindset in the locker room.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Well, I'm from the school of "Snitches get stitches". Playing all of the big three sports in HS then baseball in college I've seen some crazy mess happen in a locker room. But I guess that stuff don't happen anymore. Good for Greg.
I know from experience what goes on in locker rooms. Coaches aren't always around, not that it matters. My thinking is if the situation is so bad with the Jets he likely doesn't care what the organization thinks and has his mind set on leaving anyway. I admire his courage even if he should have handled it a little differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.