McElroy calls out Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
^ This

Greg may not have the clout to do this, but leaders don't keep their heads down and stay quiet. Being a leader sometimes puts you at risk.

Greg may suffer the consequences others have stated in the thread. He may even get cut. That does not mean that what he did was not the right thing to do, and I think it probably was.

If he is going to be a leader, then he has to at least attempt to lead. Trying to get your teammates to be a team and buy into what the coaches want to do is not something his teammates or coaches will openly have a problem with. If they privately have a problem with it, it is on them, not Greg.
Leaders also don't spout off to the media...

They grab people up behind close doors and take care of "theirs"

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Calculated or not, until they release him and he's not required to go back to the facility/locker room he's in great danger of getting a severe beat down. It can get quite primitive in the locker room...
His having been raised in a football factory I contend he's at least aware.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
As a bottom of the barrel rookie he'd be better off keeping his mouth shut.
Being right is being right. It doesnt matter how many years you have or havent played. We criticize football players and teams every single day on this board...and most of us havent played football on any level.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Lance Taylor?
Nope. :)

I'd take Matt Ryan over Sanchez any day of the week... and I'm not really a fan of Ryan.
Amen! How can you not like someone who throws to Julio? Plus, he got ATL to the playoffs.

No way...thats not how the NFL works.

The Jets management staff will have major issues with the public statements.
The coaching staff will have major issues with him calling them out
the p[layers will have major issues with his words

he was a 7th round selection thats been on injured reserve for the entire season
his position REQUIRES the players to have faith in your leadership and want to play behind you

this is not a good thing for GMac
How about the public statement their head coach made a couple of years ago when his naughty little foot fetish tapes came out? For the most part, that was swept under the rug and laughed at. When your leader can't keep his dirty laundry in the hamper, where is the respect? Rex Ryan lost a lot of respect back then. Another issue with the management of this team is the selection of both the goons discussed below. The Jets also had a player once, who was over a half a million dollars behind in child support. When they signed him, part of the agreement was to pay the back child support before he saw his first paycheck. They have a history of signing players with questionable character (see cancer, below). I know all the owners and coaches care about is WINNING and in the NFL they can technically BUY a championship, but GEEZ, it seems like the Jets do not care what type of PERSON lands in their organization. It makes it VERY difficult to wish success on them, even with a good friend as a coach.

The players who may be butthurt over this: Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. Let's look at both of these crown jewels of society. Holmes has a history, going back to his childhood, of drug possession/sale/use. He has had incidences of throwing a glass or bottle at a WOMAN in a nightclub, cutting her face, possession of marijuana, and various other belligerent behaviors--he refused to turn off his iPod on a flight so he just got off the flight instead. What a jerk. And, Plaxico. We all know what REALLY made HIM famous. Something about shooting himself with his own gun in a nightclub?
:rolleyes: These two clowns need to look at other players who have "had issues" and take some lessons--see Ray Lewis and Mike Vick. The verdict is still out on Vick, but look at the person Ray Lewis has become. It IS possible to turn it around.

When Greg used the word "cancer" he was right on the money. All it takes is ONE small tumor to create a chain reaction of damage. Those two above are as malignant as you can get. If this gets him cut, then maybe that is a good thing. Another team will pick him up or he will go on to have a GREAT career in sports. If he is anything like his dad, who was described by another poster as being an arrogant a**hole, then he will definitely have staying power. I find that people who describe someone in that way are just intimidated by that person. It is easy to label them as a jerk, when what they really are is confident, polished, smart and successful. :)

TideFan40

1st Team
Nov 7, 2006
Athens, AL
Yep. I love Greg but he really has no right to have any public opinion at all about what was wrong with the attitude of the team. Especially when he's never played a single down in a regular season NFL game.

Shew! I hope it doesn't happen but I'd be surprised if they don't release him.

Greg may not have realized it but when he said "If you go down our roster top to bottom there's no reason we shouldn't be a championship team"....well....uh....that, in a way,
implies, "We have talent..the coaches couldn't get it done".

And even if he talks about player attitudes and them not "Buying in" well, er Greg, this isn't college. NFL coaches that can't get players to buy in get fired and replaced by someone who can INDEED get the players to buy in. The owners don't fire players who have guaranteed 50 million dollar contracts. They fire coaches who .... them off.(Make them mad lol)

Not a good move by Greg. He may be working for ESPN sooner than later cause Rex Ryan ain't gonna like this at TALL...lol

sip
WELL said!

Would you take an interview opportunity to discuss all the deep problems your family has? I would hope not.

Your teamates are your brothers on the field for the entirety of a season. In any sport. If you have a problem with their attitude and or effort, by all means, call them out, but do it in your locker room where it is a team only issue. This is not an anti GMAC statement, it is an anti ANYONE who publicly airs out a team's dirty laundry.

Does anyone think Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady feel that every player on their team gives 100% every down of every game? I would think not. Do they address these issues? I would most definately think so, the trick is, we the public just don't know about it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
WELL said!

Would you take an interview opportunity to discuss all the deep problems your family has? I would hope not.

Your teamates are your brothers on the field for the entirety of a season. In any sport. If you have a problem with their attitude and or effort, by all means, call them out, but do it in your locker room where it is a team only issue. This is not an anti GMAC statement, it is an anti ANYONE who publicly airs out a team's dirty laundry.

Does anyone think Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady feel that every player on their team gives 100% every down of every game? I would think not. Do they address these issues? I would most definately think so, the trick is, we the public just don't know about it.
Agreed. Unfortunately youth has its shortcomings. :conf3: I'm sure at some point when he is a bit older Greg will look back and say or think "I didn't handle that exactly right."

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Greg didn't name any names so I don't think people in the locker room will be all that upset. He was a 7th rounder, but he also won a national championship, so he's going to a mic stuck in his face more often than the typical borderline roster guy.

He is not going to be assaulted in the locker room for his statements - that's just silly.

He is not going to get cut for making these statements. If he gets cut it will be because of his relatively weak arm and other measureables, not because of his mouth.

The locker room was toxic. Everyone with any sense knows that. While Greg didn't say it, he was mostly talking about Holmes. He's their cancer. Sanchez is a problem as well since he underperforms at the worst times, but since he's a high draft pick they're not giving up on him (yet). Burress probably has had an effect on the locker room too.

All Greg did was allude to some problems in a relatively non-specific way. Some people are acting as if he called Rex Ryan and dundering blowhard and said Santonio Holmes was an overpaid primadonna. He didn't. Get some perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Well after spending 21 years in the military, I've been around bad, good, and great leaders. Had men beside me I wouldn't trade for the world in a fire fight, and some I wanted to shoot myself. Speaking from experience you never chastise your troops in public by calling them out. Greg didn't do this, his statement (he didn't name names and those individuals know who they are) was about a mindset that is detrimental to team cohesiveness. Now that it's public, as a leader he has to help change the attitude in that locker room, and those "Team players" that had the right mindset has to not only appreciate his courage, but climb on board and help change that mindset!
Remember
"Courage is contagious, when a man stands up and does the right thing others backbones start to stiffen"
But this is like a guy who has never fought beside you or been in that theater telling you what you are doing wrong.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Greg didn't name any names so I don't think people in the locker room will be all that upset. He was a 7th rounder, but he also won a national championship, so he's going to a mic stuck in his face more often than the typical borderline roster guy.

He is not going to be assaulted in the locker room for his statements - that's just silly.

He is not going to get cut for making these statements. If he gets cut it will be because of his relatively weak arm and other measureables, not because of his mouth.

The locker room was toxic. Everyone with any sense knows that. While Greg didn't say it, he was mostly talking about Holmes. He's their cancer. Sanchez is a problem as well since he underperforms at the worst times, but since he's a high draft pick they're not giving up on him (yet). Burress probably has had an effect on the locker room too.

All Greg did was allude to some problems in a relatively non-specific way. Some people are acting as if he called Rex Ryan and dundering blowhard and said Santonio Holmes was an overpaid primadonna. He didn't. Get some perspective.
They've already had to separate Holmes and Sanchez in a meeting earlier this week. There have been reports of a lot of verbal confrontations between players. So to think it could progress and escalate to a physical fight is not out of the question. Especially seeing that a 7th round draft pick who didn't contribute one down in the regular season gets behind a microphone and gives his ".02" to the world about what's wrong with the team.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Colin Cowherd just played excerpts from Greg's interview and defended what Greg said and why Greg was saying it. He, too, called him a leader to try to correct what was wrong. Seems like Erik Ainge, QB at UT and the pros, said that Greg should be keeping his mouth shut. Cowherd took on Ainge, saying what an underachiever he was and that Greg showed the backbone of a leader. Just sharing. Roll Tide!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Update: Cowherd said Greg will be his guest tomorrow.
Yea, anything further from Greg on this I think is a mistake. I think he his initial what, how and where were fine, but repeatedly shouting it from the rooftops is different. My guess is he will try to moderate his tone without backing off of the team first. I am just not sure he will be able to do it with Cowherd stoking the flames.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
While maybe unwise as a rookie who hasn't played, but Greg exhibited true leadership by calling out the Jets' players. Obviously, Sanchez or any other Jets' player do not have the leadership skills to deal with the problems that have arisen. Erik Ainge is just a coke doping moron who is as thick as two short planks in lucid times.

BAMAccounting10

3rd Team
Oct 1, 2010
I support what Greg McElroy said. Rex Ryan talk so much smack its sickening--about how the Jets are going to win the SuperBowl, how "its personal" between him and their opponent...etc. The Jets NEVER live up to Rex Ryans talk. Greg knows what it takes to win a championship and be a part of something special. A championship team is more than just an assembly of talent--its a mindset. Greg doesnt have to be the starting QB to know the mindset of the team. I support Greg for calling out the "selfish" players that are all about their personal stats and records.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I hope Greg doesn't double-down and make it worse on Cowherd's show.

A newcomer to the pros ought to let his national radio interview be about something he did on the field, not some controversial remarks he gave from the bench. And if he hasn't done anything on the field that would get him interviewed, pipe down and wait 'til he does.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Yea, anything further from Greg on this I think is a mistake. I think he his initial what, how and where were fine, but repeatedly shouting it from the rooftops is different. My guess is he will try to moderate his tone without backing off of the team first. I am just not sure he will be able to do it with Cowherd stoking the flames.
If he continues to jaw off about the Jets problems you could change the name of the show to "McElroy's career is burning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.