Could This be the Beginning of a new "Golden Age" at Tuscaloosa?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Suspended

Could This be the Beginning of a new "Golden Age" at Tuscaloosa?

In the sixties and seventies, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant established a "dynasty" at Alabama that made them the team of those decades. He ended his 25 year career at Alabama with six national titles.

But is Nick Saban about to establish his own dynasty and what are the chances that it could surpass those of the legendary "Bear" Bryant's best decades?

You decide...click here

Larry
    Last edited by BamaNation; January 27th, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: url

2. Advertisement

Re: Could This be the Beginning of a new "Golden Age" at Tuscaloosa?

You're late to the party. It began a few years ago.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan23 View Post
    Indeed. This is not the beginning. We are in the middle of it. Enjoy it.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Enjoyed the read Larry. I think if we win another title or titles in the next two years (2012 and/or 2013) it can be argued that this period is very well a new "Golden Age". I think it would be very unfair to Coach Saban and his staff to put six national titles as the standard for "Golden Age". The landscape of college football is so different now than when Coach Bryant coached. Taking nothing away from Coach Bryant, we have to grade people and teams within the time they actually played and there's no doubt Coach Bryant was one of the (if not THE) greatest to ever walk a sideline, both college and pro. However, we have to grade Coach Saban on the time and era he coached and based on the landscape that existed when he coached. And that landscape distributed more talent across the board, limited the players at his disposal on his sideline. Limited how and when they recruited etc.

So IMO, three or four titles in a 7 year time frame definitely qualifies as a "Golden Age" of Alabama football.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan23 View Post

LOL... I guess you could say that, but now with a second win in a three year stretch, it's now officially "started" in the sense that it's not a one game anomaly like so many other teams have had... But now, there's now denying that it's game on for at least a few more years... With Saban turning 60 this year, the question is no longer when, but for how long....

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Indeed. This is not the beginning. We are in the middle of it. Enjoy it.
    I hope not, that would mean only two more... (G)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by lbsportswriter View Post
    I hope not, that would mean only two more... (G)
    Well I didn't mean literally the middle.

But it has already begun... and I expect a few more before it's over.

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar

In the sixties and seventies, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant established a "dynasty" at Alabama that made them the team of those decades. He ended his 25 year career at Alabama with six national titles.

But is Nick Saban about to establish his own dynasty and what are the chances that it could surpass those of the legendary "Bear" Bryant's best decades?

http://news.tidefans.com/2012/01/24/...-coach-bryant/

Larry

Great job, Larry...

it's really amazing to see the progression of fans comparing Bryant and Saban.

Before the 2009 NC: Sacrilege. (total pessimism)
    After the 2009 NC: Pretty amazing to have 2 NC's at 2 different schools, but he's no Bryant. (shock)
    After the 2011 NC: You know, it's amazing to think CNS MAY come close to winning as many NC's as Bryant did here, but it's still hard to believe what is happening at Alabama right here in front of our eyes. (reality and yet disbelief)
    After the 201X NC: Hmm...getting closer now. (slow understanding and ability to see the future ramifications)

I'll say this, IF CNS (when?) wins another NC within the next 2 years, he WILL eclipse Bryant as the all-time NC winner!
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    Great job, Larry...

it's really amazing to see the progression of fans comparing Bryant and Saban.

Before the 2009 NC: Sacrilege. (total pessimism)
    After the 2009 NC: Pretty amazing to have 2 NC's at 2 different schools, but he's no Bryant. (shock)
    After the 2011 NC: You know, it's amazing to think CNS MAY come close to winning as many NC's as Bryant did here, but it's still hard to believe what is happening at Alabama right here in front of our eyes. (reality and yet disbelief)
    After the 201X NC: Hmm...getting closer now. (slow understanding and ability to see the future ramifications)

I'll say this, IF CNS (when?) wins another NC within the next 2 years, he WILL eclipse Bryant as the all-time NC winner!
    Coach Saban is the best in college football right now but Coach Bryant is and will always be, in my mind, the greatest football coach at any level, EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Coach Saban is the best in college football right now but Coach Bryant is and will always be, in my mind, the greatest football coach at any level, EVER.
    Coach Bryant dominated his era. And if Saban wins another title in the next two years and lord knows wins two more titles in his remaining time here I think it would be safe to say he dominated his era as well. It is much like the argument on "Who's the greatest NFL quarterback" and trying to compare players from two totally different eras. Where the defensive rules were different and how those rules impacted how the game was played. It is very tough to compare Tom Brady/Manning/Marino/Elway and Johnny Unitas. The rules on what a defense could do to defend the pass were drastically different.

And I think this Bryant/Saban comparison (assuming he wins another in a relatively short time) is the same. Can you imagine flip flopping the two coaches and putting one in the other's time era. Giving Coach Saban 125 players at his disposal and not having to deal with the 85 scholly limit and every little recruiting rule he has now? Think about that for a minute...
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Great article Larry. I think we as Alabama fans may finally be able to step a little further out of the shadow that was left by Coach Bryant. That doesn't in anyway mean to forget him or give him second billing. That will never happen nor should it ever happen, but we can finally enjoy the success of a coach that is a success all of it's own.

What I mean by that is when CGS won it all in 92 we loved him for it, we celebrated him and we held him up as we rightfully should have, but he was still connected to Coach Bryant. We all loved the fact that one of the Coach Bryant's boys who played for him, coached for him, sounded like him, coached like him, dressed like him, etc... won a championship at Alabama because if one closed their eyes to enjoy the moment you could almost hear Coach Bryant speaking every time Bebes opened his mouth. We loved CGS, but we really loved the connection to CPB. What I think many fail to realize is that deep down there is another reason that championship meant so much when CGS won it. I think deep down the fact that CGS won a national championship at Alabama many felt it was another victory for Coach Bryant. That made him an even greater coach on another level as one of his disciples came back home to BAMA and won it with everything Coach Bryant had taught him. It validated Coach Bryant in our minds even more.

My other point is that we have something to celebrate now and that's important. I remember back when all the pregame hype and intro videos became such a big deal. We had all this footage from the Bryant days and a few clips from CGS time and not much else. There was little other than Prothro's catch to really get excited about. Now we have highlight moments in the present that we can enjoy. It doesn't make the past any less important, but I think it's interesting how we used to just celebrate our past and now we celebrate the present. The feeling of celebrating the present wasn't this strong when CGS was the coach because he had such a strong tie to the past.
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; January 25th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    My other point is that we have something to celebrate now and that's important. I remember back when all the pregame hype and intro videos became such a big deal. We had all this footage from the Bryant days and a few clips from CGS time and not much else. There was little other than Prothro's catch to really get excited about. Now we have highlight moments in the present that we can enjoy. It doesn't make the past any less important, but I think it's interesting how we used to just celebrate our past and now we celebrate the present. The feeling of celebrating the present wasn't this strong when CGS was the coach because he had such a strong tie to the past.
    I completely agree with this. It helps the program move away from the national perception of "They ain't done anything since Bryant was there." This also has shut up the SEC rival fanbases as well from using this. This was the standard line from a lot of the SEC fanbases that our program since the Bryant era hasn't really been present with regard to championship success. Now that little card is no longer available.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    LOL... I guess you could say that, but now with a second win in a three year stretch, it's now officially "started" in the sense that it's not a one game anomaly like so many other teams have had... But now, there's now denying that it's game on for at least a few more years... With Saban turning 60 this year, the question is no longer when, but for how long....
    I agree you though. Even though the run started in 2008, it wasn't really a dynasty until we'd won that 2nd chanpionship. What CNS has done in the age of 85 scholarships and at time when the SEC is at its height. People forget already that there was 5 teams with 10+ wins from the SEC this year. What he has done is truly amazing. I'll say this; if CNS puts together another 5 year like his first 5 years here, he'll have to at least be in conversation with Coach Bryant as the best ever.