Could This be the Beginning of a new "Golden Age" at Tuscaloosa?

lbsportswriter

Suspended
Jan 4, 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
In the sixties and seventies, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant established a "dynasty" at Alabama that made them the team of those decades. He ended his 25 year career at Alabama with six national titles.

But is Nick Saban about to establish his own dynasty and what are the chances that it could surpass those of the legendary "Bear" Bryant's best decades?

You decide...click here

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Enjoyed the read Larry. I think if we win another title or titles in the next two years (2012 and/or 2013) it can be argued that this period is very well a new "Golden Age". I think it would be very unfair to Coach Saban and his staff to put six national titles as the standard for "Golden Age". The landscape of college football is so different now than when Coach Bryant coached. Taking nothing away from Coach Bryant, we have to grade people and teams within the time they actually played and there's no doubt Coach Bryant was one of the (if not THE) greatest to ever walk a sideline, both college and pro. However, we have to grade Coach Saban on the time and era he coached and based on the landscape that existed when he coached. And that landscape distributed more talent across the board, limited the players at his disposal on his sideline. Limited how and when they recruited etc.

So IMO, three or four titles in a 7 year time frame definitely qualifies as a "Golden Age" of Alabama football.

lbsportswriter

Suspended
Jan 4, 2012
You're late to the party. It began a few years ago.

LOL... I guess you could say that, but now with a second win in a three year stretch, it's now officially "started" in the sense that it's not a one game anomaly like so many other teams have had... But now, there's now denying that it's game on for at least a few more years... With Saban turning 60 this year, the question is no longer when, but for how long....

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
In the sixties and seventies, Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant established a "dynasty" at Alabama that made them the team of those decades. He ended his 25 year career at Alabama with six national titles.

But is Nick Saban about to establish his own dynasty and what are the chances that it could surpass those of the legendary "Bear" Bryant's best decades?

http://news.tidefans.com/2012/01/24...rpass-the-golden-age-dynasty-of-coach-bryant/

Larry

Great job, Larry...

it's really amazing to see the progression of fans comparing Bryant and Saban.

Before the 2009 NC: Sacrilege. (total pessimism)
After the 2009 NC: Pretty amazing to have 2 NC's at 2 different schools, but he's no Bryant. (shock)
After the 2011 NC: You know, it's amazing to think CNS MAY come close to winning as many NC's as Bryant did here, but it's still hard to believe what is happening at Alabama right here in front of our eyes. (reality and yet disbelief)
After the 201X NC: Hmm...getting closer now. (slow understanding and ability to see the future ramifications)

I'll say this, IF CNS (when?) wins another NC within the next 2 years, he WILL eclipse Bryant as the all-time NC winner!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Great job, Larry...

it's really amazing to see the progression of fans comparing Bryant and Saban.

Before the 2009 NC: Sacrilege. (total pessimism)
After the 2009 NC: Pretty amazing to have 2 NC's at 2 different schools, but he's no Bryant. (shock)
After the 2011 NC: You know, it's amazing to think CNS MAY come close to winning as many NC's as Bryant did here, but it's still hard to believe what is happening at Alabama right here in front of our eyes. (reality and yet disbelief)
After the 201X NC: Hmm...getting closer now. (slow understanding and ability to see the future ramifications)

I'll say this, IF CNS (when?) wins another NC within the next 2 years, he WILL eclipse Bryant as the all-time NC winner!
Coach Saban is the best in college football right now but Coach Bryant is and will always be, in my mind, the greatest football coach at any level, EVER.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Coach Saban is the best in college football right now but Coach Bryant is and will always be, in my mind, the greatest football coach at any level, EVER.
Coach Bryant dominated his era. And if Saban wins another title in the next two years and lord knows wins two more titles in his remaining time here I think it would be safe to say he dominated his era as well. It is much like the argument on "Who's the greatest NFL quarterback" and trying to compare players from two totally different eras. Where the defensive rules were different and how those rules impacted how the game was played. It is very tough to compare Tom Brady/Manning/Marino/Elway and Johnny Unitas. The rules on what a defense could do to defend the pass were drastically different.

And I think this Bryant/Saban comparison (assuming he wins another in a relatively short time) is the same. Can you imagine flip flopping the two coaches and putting one in the other's time era. Giving Coach Saban 125 players at his disposal and not having to deal with the 85 scholly limit and every little recruiting rule he has now? Think about that for a minute...

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Great article Larry. I think we as Alabama fans may finally be able to step a little further out of the shadow that was left by Coach Bryant. That doesn't in anyway mean to forget him or give him second billing. That will never happen nor should it ever happen, but we can finally enjoy the success of a coach that is a success all of it's own.

What I mean by that is when CGS won it all in 92 we loved him for it, we celebrated him and we held him up as we rightfully should have, but he was still connected to Coach Bryant. We all loved the fact that one of the Coach Bryant's boys who played for him, coached for him, sounded like him, coached like him, dressed like him, etc... won a championship at Alabama because if one closed their eyes to enjoy the moment you could almost hear Coach Bryant speaking every time Bebes opened his mouth. We loved CGS, but we really loved the connection to CPB. What I think many fail to realize is that deep down there is another reason that championship meant so much when CGS won it. I think deep down the fact that CGS won a national championship at Alabama many felt it was another victory for Coach Bryant. That made him an even greater coach on another level as one of his disciples came back home to BAMA and won it with everything Coach Bryant had taught him. It validated Coach Bryant in our minds even more.

My other point is that we have something to celebrate now and that's important. I remember back when all the pregame hype and intro videos became such a big deal. We had all this footage from the Bryant days and a few clips from CGS time and not much else. There was little other than Prothro's catch to really get excited about. Now we have highlight moments in the present that we can enjoy. It doesn't make the past any less important, but I think it's interesting how we used to just celebrate our past and now we celebrate the present. The feeling of celebrating the present wasn't this strong when CGS was the coach because he had such a strong tie to the past.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My other point is that we have something to celebrate now and that's important. I remember back when all the pregame hype and intro videos became such a big deal. We had all this footage from the Bryant days and a few clips from CGS time and not much else. There was little other than Prothro's catch to really get excited about. Now we have highlight moments in the present that we can enjoy. It doesn't make the past any less important, but I think it's interesting how we used to just celebrate our past and now we celebrate the present. The feeling of celebrating the present wasn't this strong when CGS was the coach because he had such a strong tie to the past.
I completely agree with this. It helps the program move away from the national perception of "They ain't done anything since Bryant was there." This also has shut up the SEC rival fanbases as well from using this. This was the standard line from a lot of the SEC fanbases that our program since the Bryant era hasn't really been present with regard to championship success. Now that little card is no longer available.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
LOL... I guess you could say that, but now with a second win in a three year stretch, it's now officially "started" in the sense that it's not a one game anomaly like so many other teams have had... But now, there's now denying that it's game on for at least a few more years... With Saban turning 60 this year, the question is no longer when, but for how long....
I agree you though. Even though the run started in 2008, it wasn't really a dynasty until we'd won that 2nd chanpionship. What CNS has done in the age of 85 scholarships and at time when the SEC is at its height. People forget already that there was 5 teams with 10+ wins from the SEC this year. What he has done is truly amazing. I'll say this; if CNS puts together another 5 year like his first 5 years here, he'll have to at least be in conversation with Coach Bryant as the best ever.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Coach Bryant dominated his era. And if Saban wins another title in the next two years and lord knows wins two more titles in his remaining time here I think it would be safe to say he dominated his era as well. It is much like the argument on "Who's the greatest NFL quarterback" and trying to compare players from two totally different eras. Where the defensive rules were different and how those rules impacted how the game was played. It is very tough to compare Tom Brady/Manning/Marino/Elway and Johnny Unitas. The rules on what a defense could do to defend the pass were drastically different.

And I think this Bryant/Saban comparison (assuming he wins another in a relatively short time) is the same. Can you imagine flip flopping the two coaches and putting one in the other's time era. Giving Coach Saban 125 players at his disposal and not having to deal with the 85 scholly limit and every little recruiting rule he has now? Think about that for a minute...

I'm just glad we've had them both. I don't mean in any way to say Coach Saban is anything but great. The scholarship rules you mention however were the same for everybody. Tennessee and Georgia had the same rules so it all balances out. It comes down to management and coaching. Imagine the headache of dealing with that many players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't believe in the "rebuild, reload" axiom for power schools. You always rebuild at all levels. The roster changes, what motivates the team slightly changes, the players the staff needs to focus on to let them flourish changes.

Alabama in 2012 will still try to do the basic things a Saban team is about but it may not be the same as this season. We were a very base defense compared to 2009 and 2011 in 2010 after the Arkansas game where coverage busts put the team in a hole. The offense became more pass heavy as our tailbacks were both nursing injuries. These things cost us those 3 games.

I'm more positive about the run game not taking a dive in 2012, but the new players in the back seven will decide how multiple we can be defensively. Every team has questions right now. And the three or so teams nationally with low attrition and high expectations still have to figure out how to take it to the next level.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
[/SIZE]I'm just glad we've had them both. I don't mean in any way to say Coach Saban is anything but great. The scholarship rules you mention however were the same for everybody. Tennessee and Georgia had the same rules so it all balances out. It comes down to management and coaching. Imagine the headache of dealing with that many players.
Ya know I've been thinking something for a long time and have kept it to myself because I am sure I will get lit up over it. But I saw someone else mention it the other day and I think I will throw it out there for conversation. I'm not sure that CNS isn't a harder driven and more disciplined coach than Coach Bryant was. There is no arguing the success and results of Coach Bryant, but I really don't think CNS has more than a few moments a day the man isn't thinking about his football program. We all know that Coach Bryant was prone to and enjoyed many distractions, you might say he "indulged" himself in them, but I don't think CNS really has any. Maybe it's just the discipline part because I know what drove Coach Bryant and he was driven to the edge by it. I think part of it could have to do with the era they were in as well, life was just a little slower and more pleasant back then in general I believe.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
[/SIZE]I'm just glad we've had them both. I don't mean in any way to say Coach Saban is anything but great. The scholarship rules you mention however were the same for everybody. Tennessee and Georgia had the same rules so it all balances out. It comes down to management and coaching. Imagine the headache of dealing with that many players.
Not to be nitpicky but it is different. Bryant was a better recruiter than the majority of his counterparts, just like Coach Saban is today. However, Bryant had 40 more talented players at his disposal (and his counterparts 40 less) that would never considered going to UGA, Tennessee etc. So the other schools basically had to get what Bryant didn't want. Where as now, those same 40 schollies are not at Saban's disposal and are distributed amongst other teams that back in Bryant's day would have worn a Crimson jersey.

The implied point was it is quite possible if you changed era's in which they coached their success would mirror the other.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Not to be nitpicky but it is different. Bryant was a better recruiter than the majority of his counterparts, just like Coach Saban is today. However, Bryant had 40 more talented players at his disposal (and his counterparts 40 less) that would never considered going to UGA, Tennessee etc. So the other schools basically had to get what Bryant didn't want. Where as now, those same 40 schollies are not at Saban's disposal and are distributed amongst other teams that back in Bryant's day would have worn a Crimson jersey.
Bear was one of the greatest coaches ever, but what nick saban has done in the modern era,well, that puts him in the conversation already...

as others have said, what he's done with the rules that are in place is amazing...he has had a LOT of restrictions that Bear didnt...

if he has another 5 years like the last...i think he will go down as one of the all time greats...

Last edited by a moderator:

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
The debate on whether CNS could ever replace CPB is a wonderous thing. As a fan for over 50 years would it hurt me for someone to say the CNS was the best ever, not at all. Through the years CPB was the best there has ever been and along comes CGS who everyone wished would have continued and what might have been and now there is CNS with 2 NC's in three years. Will he be considered the best ever, in a way I hope so because that will mean that Bama is the King of CFB again and the team to beat every year. The best thing though is what a pair of bookends that CPB and CNS make. It was a wonder when I was young and it's a wonder now that I'm getting old. Most colleges never get to see even one of those type of coaches and we were honored with two of them. How do you draw to a pair like that?

lbsportswriter

Suspended
Jan 4, 2012
The debate on whether CNS could ever replace CPB is a wonderous thing. As a fan for over 50 years would it hurt me for someone to say the CNS was the best ever, not at all. Through the years CPB was the best there has ever been and along comes CGS who everyone wished would have continued and what might have been and now there is CNS with 2 NC's in three years. Will he be considered the best ever, in a way I hope so because that will mean that Bama is the King of CFB again and the team to beat every year. The best thing though is what a pair of bookends that CPB and CNS make. It was a wonder when I was young and it's a wonder now that I'm getting old. Most colleges never get to see even one of those type of coaches and we were honored with two of them. How do you draw to a pair like that?
You just summed up my feelings too.... I had the GREAT opportunity to meet Coach Bryant in many venues, the best of which was at his home... And now, I get to talk to Saban and interview him, I know his wife Terry and am blessed to have been however thinly associated with both. You're right, name another school with TWO greats,,, I'm sure if we scratched our heads we could come up with some, but not THIS great...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.