Link: 2013 PA WR Robert Foster Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
tomorrow they play Moon Township who are one of the worst, if not THE worst, teams in that conference. could put up some serious numbers...last year they put up 51 on 'em and took it easy in 2H up 38-0 HT

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Or, he might not want to have to deal with the locals if he announced early for Bama. ;)
Eh, what locals? I don't mean to overly denigrate Pitt, mind you, but they don't have much of a fanbase regardless of proximity. They only average around 40,000 in attendance per game, and that's the announced, not actual. Even Mississippi State and Kentucky draw more than that.

I'm not saying that location won't be a big factor here because I'm sure it will, but I don't think he's really got a great deal of in-state pressure. This isn't like an out-of-state school pulling a kid out of Bastrop or Bessemer. Totally different environment.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Yea Urban left that Florida bunch loaded since he recruited so well??? Such a powerhouse after Tebow left. But I guess he can lie better than most.....
Well, let's be very clear on this one: Urban was as good of a pure recruiter, in terms of his ability to woo top recruits, as anyone we've ever had in the SEC, including Saban. He could sell a case of pretzels to someone dying of thirst.

Where Urban failed was not in raw recruiting, but in prospect evaluation. After Cam he never committed to getting the true dual-threat QB he needed to run the spread option, he was too obsessed with speed outside at the expense of size, and on the lines he went too hard after a bunch of really athletic kids who weren't willing to get ugly and play physical down in the trenches. The end result was bad QB play, weakness on the line, and receivers outside who were consistently mauled.

Again, though, recruiting was never the issue. He got whoever he wanted. The failure was prospect evaluation, and he missed and missed badly on a slew of kids.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Eh, what locals? I don't mean to overly denigrate Pitt, mind you, but they don't have much of a fanbase regardless of proximity. They only average around 40,000 in attendance per game, and that's the announced, not actual. Even Mississippi State and Kentucky draw more than that.
if the "fanbase" argument was worth any weight you wouldn't be watching Revis, Fitzgerald, and McCoy in the Pro Bowl who all played for Pitt recently. Obviously you have no respect for Pitt's tradition and clearly averaging 46k per game isn't impressive up against our 106k but only WVU averaged more fans in the past 5 years in the Big East and Pitt has tremendous facilities they share with the Steelers. Of course Heinz Field only seats 65k...

I agree the Pittsburgh fanbase isn't all that excited about the football program right now but that doesn't stop them from landing 75% of the top kids in western PA. This year there's 3 of them...foster, dorian johnson, and tyler boyd. They lose an occasional guy like Terrelle Pryor and Rob Gronkowski but they get a hell of a lot more than they lose.

Playing for a lesser program with fewer butts in the seats doesn't stop future NFL stars from going to Pitt. Never has, never will. You can play earlier in your career, get a phenomenal education, stay close to home (although Larry Fitz was nowhere near home), and now play at a higher level of football (ACC next year). Not many schools have put out the quality of pro players that Pitt has and that's an undeniable fact.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
if the "fanbase" argument was worth any weight you wouldn't be watching Revis, Fitzgerald, and McCoy in the Pro Bowl who all played for Pitt recently. Obviously you have no respect for Pitt's tradition and clearly averaging 46k per game isn't impressive up against our 106k but only WVU averaged more fans in the past 5 years in the Big East and Pitt has tremendous facilities they share with the Steelers. Of course Heinz Field only seats 65k...

I agree the Pittsburgh fanbase isn't all that excited about the football program right now but that doesn't stop them from landing 75% of the top kids in western PA. This year there's 3 of them...foster, dorian johnson, and tyler boyd. They lose an occasional guy like Terrelle Pryor and Rob Gronkowski but they get a hell of a lot more than they lose.

Playing for a lesser program with fewer butts in the seats doesn't stop future NFL stars from going to Pitt. Never has, never will. You can play earlier in your career, get a phenomenal education, stay close to home (although Larry Fitz was nowhere near home), and now play at a higher level of football (ACC next year). Not many schools have put out the quality of pro players that Pitt has and that's an undeniable fact.
Have not really followed Pitt recruiting but the ones that I have it seems they stay home not because of tradition. R Shell is at Pitt because of his kid not tradition. It seems family is the only reason they may keep Foster home not tradition. Just saying.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
not true as explained above. Tony Dorsett (friend of his family, plays at same HS, Dorsett is a mentor) and Sean Gilbert (his uncle) are very much a part of Pitt tradition and those are the primary reasons Shell is at Pitt. That he was having twins girls only cemented what was the obvious outcome anyway.

The ONLY reason I give us 15-20% chance of landing Foster is he doesn't have deep ties to Pitt like Shell did. But he's from the exact same area as Shell, Dorsett, Baldwin, the Blackawk 2014 QB, etc and the only player that Pitt has lost of significance from that area is Ty Law.

I have a real disdain for some of you posters that walk around with the chest out putting down every other program in the country. Look, we don't get everyone we want...if you don't realize that look at Ndkemdiche and Reuben for starters. Yes we're the #1 program in the nation with a tremendous history, coach, facilities, and fan loyalty but I like to remember the Dubose and Shula years just to keep a bit humble. The one thing, as a fan, I don't need to do is rip on other programs trying to recruit the same players.

Nobody in the world would put any 3 current Bama NFLers ahead of Pitt's McCoy, Fitz, and Revis so don't confuse Pitt with Kentucky or Maryland or Vanderbilt. While they are in a major rebuilding mode (and seemingly have been since Foge Fazio in the 80's) it is a very attractive program for a lot of reasons. If recruiting had to do with putting 100k people in the stands then UcheaT would actually keep a decent in-state player from time to time.

There's a lot of great reasons for kids to go to Alabama so ripping on a competing program isn't the way to go about it, IMHO.

I'll be back to post, what should be, the ridiculous #'s that Foster puts up tonight vs a really horrible Moon Twp team...

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
n/m. I'll refrain from ignorant sparring. But I will say this is TIDEfans.com. Not NOLEfans.com. Not PITTfans.com. Oh wow, surprise, surprise, there is a heavy pro-Bama slant on this message board. That is sooo shocking.... Pet peeve of mine lately.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
I read one article I believe posted on the tooth that said Foster needs to focus on classwork to make sure he qualifies. FWIW
saw this on espn as well ...

can't post the article since it's on the insider portion of espn but write-up from about an hour ago on foster says pitt in driver's seat and watch out for Oregon who is making a press for him (was previously on his short list).

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Wait, you make a great argument, but you forgot one thing:

The Homer Truth:
There is no school other than UA that a potential recruit should ever want to play for, no matter the family connection or being a lifelong fan, even if growing up next door to the school and/or stadium. etc...
;)

There are a number of reasons that great recruits pick other places, and there are a number of other schools that offer great facilities, education etc...and lots of them make it to the NFL even...

we just expect that we should get them all.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
n/m. I'll refrain from ignorant sparring. But I will say this is TIDEfans.com. Not NOLEfans.com. Not PITTfans.com. Oh wow, surprise, surprise, there is a heavy pro-Bama slant on this message board. That is sooo shocking.... Pet peeve of mine lately.
but we dont have to disparage every other program in the country, each and every time a recruit chooses to go elsewhere.
we win more than we lose in thr recruiting arena, and that shows in the recruiting class rankings every year.

We're blessed with a great program with lots of rich tradition, the best coach in the game right now, and success that most other schools envy...

why do some see the need to ridicule rather than discuss.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Nobody in the world would put any 3 current Bama NFLers ahead of Pitt's McCoy, Fitz, and Revis so don't confuse Pitt with Kentucky or Maryland or Vanderbilt. While they are in a major rebuilding mode (and seemingly have been since Foge Fazio in the 80's) it is a very attractive program for a lot of reasons. If recruiting had to do with putting 100k people in the stands then UcheaT would actually keep a decent in-state player from time to time.
I will agree with you Pitt has put some elite talent in the NFL recently but so has UAB, Toledo, N. Illinois, NC State (I could go on and on). Pitt is the Auburn of
AL, the GA Tech of GA, the Vandy of TN and have not won big since Jackie Sherrill left so please don't use Pitt for this argument. Putting an occasional superstar in the league does not make them a good program and will never make them a good program IMO.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
but we dont have to disparage every other program in the country, each and every time a recruit chooses to go elsewhere.
we win more than we lose in thr recruiting arena, and that shows in the recruiting class rankings every year.

We're blessed with a great program with lots of rich tradition, the best coach in the game right now, and success that most other schools envy...

I do not disagree with that in the least. I just know where I am posting. They are opinions, whether they are homerific, misguided, on-point, whatever, these are people's opinions. I haven't shared any disparaging comments in this thread, just observing. But let's not get silly. Pitt tradition vs. our tradition. Really? This is worthy of discussion? Wonder who will win that battle? Aw man, there you go, making me disparage. :)

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

Actually we lose more than we win. The difference right now under Saban we can afford to lose more. We probably give out 3 to 4 more times the scholarship offer than available because we go after the best in each class.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
not true as explained above. Tony Dorsett (friend of his family, plays at same HS, Dorsett is a mentor) and Sean Gilbert (his uncle) are very much a part of Pitt tradition and those are the primary reasons Shell is at Pitt. That he was having twins girls only cemented what was the obvious outcome anyway.

The ONLY reason I give us 15-20% chance of landing Foster is he doesn't have deep ties to Pitt like Shell did. But he's from the exact same area as Shell, Dorsett, Baldwin, the Blackawk 2014 QB, etc and the only player that Pitt has lost of significance from that area is Ty Law.

I have a real disdain for some of you posters that walk around with the chest out putting down every other program in the country. Look, we don't get everyone we want...if you don't realize that look at Ndkemdiche and Reuben for starters. Yes we're the #1 program in the nation with a tremendous history, coach, facilities, and fan loyalty but I like to remember the Dubose and Shula years just to keep a bit humble. The one thing, as a fan, I don't need to do is rip on other programs trying to recruit the same players.

There's a lot of great reasons for kids to go to Alabama so ripping on a competing program isn't the way to go about it, IMHO.

I'll be back to post, what should be, the ridiculous #'s that Foster puts up tonight vs a really horrible Moon Twp team...

The difference whether you mean to or not you post as if Pitt is our equal and they are not. So what if you want to compare NFL greats between the teams go ahead because I will take UA over Pitt in that tradition. Like someone else said every program puts players in the NFL. Regarding Shell I will believe what I want there regarding his children being the difference in the end. Most of that came from Pitt insiders off their boards. And some of those same baords have repeatedly stated including most of the pay sites that #1 concern for UA in Foster's recruitment will be distance. Does not say tradition, what handful of players Pitt may have in the NFL or whatever, which may all be a factor, but that the main factor will be distance. I can probably find you 10 quotes from articles stating that if you would like.

Look I am sure growing up in Pitt or the surrounding area many players respect that program and the some of the great names that have come out of there, but tradition would not hold up vs a player lets say from the west coast if Pitt was trying to beat out UA for a recruit. I also respect your pride for the program but again your post come across as if Pitt is our equal and even if they were wrong board to be thumping your chest about them. I am not on a Pitt board speaking my opinion but a UA board. Just saying.:cheers2:

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
The difference whether you mean to or not you post as if Pitt is our equal and they are not. So what if you want to compare NFL greats between the teams go ahead because I will take UA over Pitt in that tradition. Like someone else said every program puts players in the NFL. Regarding Shell I will believe what I want there regarding his children being the difference in the end. Most of that came from Pitt insiders off their boards. And some of those same baords have repeatedly stated including most of the pay sites that #1 concern for UA in Foster's recruitment will be distance. Does not say tradition, what handful of players Pitt may have in the NFL or whatever, which may all be a factor, but that the main factor will be distance. I can probably find you 10 quotes from articles stating that if you would like.

Look I am sure growing up in Pitt or the surrounding area many players respect that program and the some of the great names that have come out of there, but tradition would not hold up vs a player lets say from the west coast if Pitt was trying to beat out UA for a recruit. I also respect your pride for the program but again your post come across as if Pitt is our equal and even if they were wrong board to be thumping your chest about them. I am not on a Pitt board speaking my opinion but a UA board. Just saying.:cheers2:
sorry but i have no particular pride for the pitt program just correcting ignorant inaccuracies from folks that don't know what they're talking about.

believe what you want about shell. millions of cubans have the opinion that che guevara was a national hero and a saint...doesn't make them right. You're 100% wrong and obviously proud of it and nothing will change your mind

just saying

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Wait, you make a great argument, but you forgot one thing:

The Homer Truth:
There is no school other than UA that a potential recruit should ever want to play for, no matter the family connection or being a lifelong fan, even if growing up next door to the school and/or stadium. etc...
;)

There are a number of reasons that great recruits pick other places, and there are a number of other schools that offer great facilities, education etc...and lots of them make it to the NFL even...

we just expect that we should get them all.
too bad winning means forgetting the past to some fans. getting jilted at the altar by tebow doesn't ring a bell to anyone but me i guess. no doubt we have more going for us than any program in the nation...my whole premise from the beginning of this discussion was to post with a little class and integrity and we're at the point now where there is no need to disparage competing schools and programs, particularly one you know precious little about (not u Ohio, i mean the collective you). obviously that's not how the majority feel which, imho, is sad.

Last edited:

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
anyway, back to the player at hand

the most exciting thing about foster is that he's so lightly used by his high school that he's got all the tread left on his tires. that's one thing that concerned me with shell who carried the ball more in 4 years than 99.9% of high school running backs.

Foster is a WR in a running offense and they only put him at RB or wildcat when they're in close games which is very rare (cv are top 3 in state AAA and rarely tested). He punts, but doesn't get hit then. he returns ko and punts but the other team tries to KO out of bounds every time and rarely will punt to him, so he doesn't take hits in special teams either.

whoever gets him is not only getting a supreme talent but a very raw and relatively untouched star. he probably gets hit less than any player in the espn 150 at a skilled position and this fact can't be ignored.

sorry again for adding actual knowledge, not just cheerleading, into the thread. my apologies ;)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
anyway, back to the player at hand

the most exciting thing about foster is that he's so lightly used by his high school that he's got all the tread left on his tires. that's one thing that concerned me with shell who carried the ball more in 4 years than 99.9% of high school running backs.

Foster is a WR in a running offense and they only put him at RB or wildcat when they're in close games which is very rare (cv are top 3 in state AAA and rarely tested). He punts, but doesn't get hit then. he returns ko and punts but the other team tries to KO out of bounds every time and rarely will punt to him, so he doesn't take hits in special teams either.

whoever gets him is not only getting a supreme talent but a very raw and relatively untouched star. he probably gets hit less than any player in the espn 150 at a skilled position and this fact can't be ignored.

sorry again for adding actual knowledge, not just cheerleading, into the thread. my apologies ;)
I like your spirit RollTide and I know you think you are absolutely right and you may end up being correct in this particular case. We will see. However, you have gotten caught up in a message board argument and you want to be so right that you can't see it any other way (you may say the same thing). We do not get every recruit we go after but as some have said there is no better place for them to go right now and that is a fact. If you had made this argument 8-10 yrs ago you would have been correct.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
sorry but i have no particular pride for the pitt program just correcting ignorant inaccuracies from folks that don't know what they're talking about.

believe what you want about shell. millions of cubans have the opinion that che guevara was a national hero and a saint...doesn't make them right. You're 100% wrong and obviously proud of it and nothing will change your mind

just saying
Believe what you want and it has no value here except to give me some enjoyment. Your rant is like the political commercials on TV. You will go blue in the face making your arguement on a board no one really cares to here, especially on a UA board where you are trying to down play UA and put Pitt above them. Alot of hot air with no substance. See the difference between you and me, is I have my opinion right or wrong, but you tend to believe your opinion is fact.

Call me out and tell me how wrong I am if it makes you feel better so be it. I have an opinion based on posts from both UA and Pitt boards last year and this year. And it may be an inaccurate opinion. Again an opinion not fact. But since you feel you are all knowing and everything you speak is a fact it gives you the idea that you possess the power to call people or their post ignorant because they do not agree with you. I mean were you the kid no one wanted to share the ball with on the playground in elementry school and now feel because of years of mistreatment you demand the right to be heard. I would expect this on a Barn board but not a UA board. Take it back to the Pitt boards and feel proud about your accomplishment of defending Pitt and all its glory in CFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.