Tidefans circa 1999

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
At the top of the page you can search for archived dates . Most of the content can't be accessed . I found the position breakdown on June 19 , 2000 interesting . Hope was ok for me to post this . I found this site , typed in Tidefans and got a surprise . rtr...

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I was around then as well, but had not yet joined. I was a member of another site, and read Tidefans on a regular basis. I finally joined when someone posted something I just could not agree with or watch go unnoticed. A lot has changed since then. A LOT!!

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Wow, that was a long time ago. I remember in the lead up to that UCLA game a lot of folks bought into the hype. I was one of them :) Can't remember my old screen name from back then, but then again I can't remember my new password for my online banking I reset last week.

Last edited:

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
It goes back further to when it was Bama Nation. http://web.archive.org/web/19990220151423/http://members.aol.com/bamanation/ Hosted by AOL. Wow. Such humble beginnings. I think I became a member in late '98 or early '99 and even had a website that was part of the Web Ring. This place was then and is now the best Bama website and I am so thankful it has been here over the years.

It's hard to believe that we may have some members who aren't quite as old as the site. That makes me feel even older. :rolleye2:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Thanks folks.

Yes a lot of things have changed. We're coming up on our 13th TideFans anniversary. That's like 100 years old in internet time :D

A little history lesson....

We've gone through a number of servers, formats, forum systems, admins, and moderators, etc. We (meaning I) have made a lot of mistakes along the way but one thing we always tried to do was represent Alabama fans and Alabama sports in the best possible way. We're not perfect, but we strive for perfection.

BamaNation.com was the first incarnation of the site started on an AOL webspace around 1997. It was basically a site of links and articles and not much else. It started when I asked Jess, who was a student at the time, if I could post some of his articles and analyses that he wrote for a UA listserv mailing list we were on.

I registered the name "TideFans.com" in April 1999 and the site launched with a message board a few months later (in June).

We had several literal server meltdowns in 1999 and 2000 that set us back at the time. You youngsters may hear about the "great server meltdown of October 1999." We had so much traffic that it literally blew up a server. Melted. These servers were the equivalent ridiculously expensive Yugos.

We've since moved on to what I think is the best host in the business for sites like ours - Richweb.com . These guys are the best. We're running on a dedicated VPS server cloud that runs like a Lamborghini :) . You've probably noticed that even on the busiest days, the site still runs - even if it's a bit slower on those extremely high traffic days like signing day.

Thanks to all the members who've been around so long and the admins and moderators who have done so so so so much for TideFans over these years.

It's humbling that the little playground I put together 13 years ago has become what it has become. Thank you all! ROLL TIDE!

Brett

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Thanks folks.

Yes a lot of things have changed. We're coming up on our 13th TideFans anniversary. That's like 100 years old in internet time :D

A little history lesson....

We've gone through a number of servers, formats, forum systems, admins, and moderators, etc. We (meaning I) have made a lot of mistakes along the way but one thing we always tried to do was represent Alabama fans and Alabama sports in the best possible way. We're not perfect, but we strive for perfection.

BamaNation.com was the first incarnation of the site started on an AOL webspace around 1997. It was basically a site of links and articles and not much else. It started when I asked Jess, who was a student at the time, if I could post some of his articles and analyses that he wrote for a UA listserv mailing list we were on.

I registered the name "TideFans.com" in April 1999 and the site launched with a message board a few months later (in June).

We had several literal server meltdowns in 1999 and 2000 that set us back at the time. You youngsters may hear about the "great server meltdown of October 1999." We had so much traffic that it literally blew up a server. Melted. These servers were the equivalent ridiculously expensive Yugos.

We've since moved on to what I think is the best host in the business for sites like ours - Richweb.com . These guys are the best. We're running on a dedicated VPS server cloud that runs like a Lamborghini :) . You've probably noticed that even on the busiest days, the site still runs - even if it's a bit slower on those extremely high traffic days like signing day.

Thanks to all the members who've been around so long and the admins and moderators who have done so so so so much for TideFans over these years.

It's humbling that the little playground I put together 13 years ago has become what it has become. Thank you all! ROLL TIDE!

Brett
No sir, thank you. The job the admins and mods do here is superb, and your creation is second to none.

Best. Bama Site. Period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.