DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Commits to Clemson

According to Conn, we weren't even the runnerup - LSU was. He thought he fit the Clemson defense better than LSU's, and he made the remark about Upton with regard to our defense. Conn: The rest of the interview is HERE
If not us, then I'm glad he's not in the SEC because he'll be a tremendous player. Dabo has shown he can recruit (I'm not an insider enough to know whether it's dirty or not), but Dabo has not developed that talent. The ACC is a terrible conference; it's like winning the ugly dog competitions. I'm also glad CNS didn't succomb to the package deal thing (which looks like what RN has been trying to set up).

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

The ACC is a terrible conference; it's like winning the ugly dog competitions.
That's true, but I think that Clemson is using that to their advantage. A 5-star player at an ACC school (except Miami) is going to be a 4 year starter no matter what.

In the SEC and especially at Alabama & LSU, that isn't the case. If any players are used against Alabama, it's probably Jerrel Harris and Tyler Love. At Clemson both would have been 4 year starters.

Michael Brockers was the 14th overall pick in this year's draft, but he still was only able to make LSU's starting line up his final year. He had to redshirt his freshman year and was a backup the last year.

At Clemson, that wouldn't have happened - he would have started all 4 years and gone in the 3rd round as a project player.

Last edited:

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

According to Conn, we weren't even the runnerup - LSU was. He thought he fit the Clemson defense better than LSU's, and he made the remark about Upton with regard to our defense. Conn: The rest of the interview is HERE
I believe the last quotes were from Carvell, the writer. Nonetheless, RN is Dabo's prize, for now.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

None of us knows why RN picked Clemson. Obviously we're all speculating except for maybe his coach. In the ATL area Clemson is very well represented and respected. I'm suprised at all the Clemson I see around here. Then again, it's only 2 hours away so it shouldn't be a surprise. All that said there is much buzz about Clemson in Gwinnett County. They recruit well here for both athletes and academics. I assume they must have a very well organized alumni group as well. I really don't see RN switching. Clemson seems to have what he's looking for, and that doesn't always spell out championships.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

In the ATL area Clemson is very well represented and respected. I'm suprised at all the Clemson I see around here. [...] All that said there is much buzz about Clemson in Gwinnett County.
I checked out Clemson's roster here and their punter is the only player from Gwinnett County. There are about 20 players from other parts of Georgia though. Alabama has 3 players from Gwinnett.

If you see a orange tiger paw in Gwinnett County, it represents the Parkview HS Panthers, not Clemson.

They pretty much copied Clemson's uniforms and helmets. They also use the same orange paw. Here's a link

I can't remember the last time I've seen a Clemson shirt, cap or bumper sticker in Atlanta. I see Auburn, Alabama, UF, UT, LSU and Ohio State all the time though.

Last edited:

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States

From the Georgia Sports Blog

What about Saban? Well, Alabama doesn't give up on players like Georgia does. It is hard to say The Saban would just quit recruiting Nkemdiche; that is why he is the best recruiter of talent since Hugh Heffner in his heyday. I think, based on my thoughts, that if Nkemdiche waivers on his commitment it'll be to play for The Saban.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Danny Sheridan was on Twitter giving his "knowledge." According to DS, Robert told Bama he wanted a 3 for 1, but Saban wouldn't do it. Not sure how accurate DS is. He's not taking much of a risk while giving this information since we all see he went to Clemson with his two teammates.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Danny Sheridan was on Twitter giving his "knowledge." According to DS, Robert told Bama he wanted a 3 for 1, but Saban wouldn't do it. Not sure how accurate DS is. He's not taking much of a risk while giving this information since we all see he went to Clemson with his two teammates.
Sounds like that's the situation that played out. I'm glad CNS doesn't do that. We are recruiting at a much higher level than Clemson, so those 2 extra spots would go to much better players than RN's teammates. RN is definitely the best out there, but I believe we'll end up with a high caliber DE just the same and not waste 2 spots for that player.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Here's a thought... It has been mentioned over and over in this thread that Robert has helped get teammates scholarship offers by going to camp with them. Could it be that RN is doing the same with these two teammates, too?

Maybe I'm just reaching on this.

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009

Sounds like that's the situation that played out. I'm glad CNS doesn't do that. We are recruiting at a much higher level than Clemson, so those 2 extra spots would go to much better players than RN's teammates. RN is definitely the best out there, but I believe we'll end up with a high caliber DE just the same and not waste 2 spots for that player.
No idea if it's true but it is believable. A deal like that may make sense for Clemson. They've recruited well but they need difference makers to reach the next level. RN could be that guy for them. But for us taking 2 or 3 guys we would otherwise not is not wise. We'll take someone in RN's spot who is just about as good and could even be more fundamentally sound/consistent in a few years. Or RN could get injured, etc. With the 2-3 spots not spent on his teammates we'll take 4* or 5* players who will contribute much more to making a more solid overall team.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

I checked out Clemson's roster here and their punter is the only player from Gwinnett County. There are about 20 players from other parts of Georgia though. Alabama has 3 players from Gwinnett.

If you see a orange tiger paw in Gwinnett County, it represents the Parkview HS Panthers, not Clemson.

They pretty much copied Clemson's uniforms and helmets. They also use the same orange paw. Here's a link

I can't remember the last time I've seen a Clemson shirt, cap or bumper sticker in Atlanta. I see Auburn, Alabama, UF, UT, LSU and Ohio State all the time though.
Ummm, my child plays for Brookwood and I can guarantee you the only Parkview paw you'll ever see there is the one they secretly manage to paint on or around Brookwood every year before they play us. There are Clemson vanity tags all around my area. There is quite the Clemson influence here and they are represented well. The Clemson staff has been at scrimmages here at Brookwood and obviously they've travelled on over to Grayson as well. In the past few years they might not have signed Gwinnett talent, but trust me they've been here. As long as Dabo is there with his energy and enthusiasm they'll continue to battle in the Gwinnett and ATL area.

To be honest he's a great recruiter, but I have huge doubts about his coaching. I think RN is done and will indeed sign with Clemson unless they have a bad year. And I'm not so certain that won't happen. I just don't see Dabo and the Clemson program being relevant, I just don't.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Ummm, my child plays for Brookwood and I can guarantee you the only Parkview paw you'll ever see there is the one they secretly manage to paint on or around Brookwood every year before they play us. There are Clemson vanity tags all around my area. There is quite the Clemson influence here and they are represented well. The Clemson staff has been at scrimmages here at Brookwood and obviously they've travelled on over to Grayson as well. In the past few years they might not have signed Gwinnett talent, but trust me they've been here. As long as Dabo is there with his energy and enthusiasm they'll continue to battle in the Gwinnett and ATL area.

To be honest he's a great recruiter, but I have huge doubts about his coaching. I think RN is done and will indeed sign with Clemson unless they have a bad year. And I'm not so certain that won't happen. I just don't see Dabo and the Clemson program being relevant, I just don't.
Dabo's opening game against the plains rednecks will set the tone for how the rest of their season goes............:cool:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Heard today, but not verified, that RN wanted Saban to take three other players. That's insanity...

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA

Makes you kinda wonder what's going through a kid's head, if they think they can dictate what Saban is going to do.

Insanity might just be the appropriate term.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Heard today, but not verified, that RN wanted Saban to take three other players. That's insanity...
Wow. That is ridiculous. Like I said above, the idea of him taking visits with friends with the hope to get them offers has been mentioned plenty of times in this thread. I can understand that, but I cannot understand him thinking or believing a school would take three teammates in order to sign him. That is just unreal.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Makes you kinda wonder what's going through a kid's head, if they think they can dictate what Saban is going to do.

Insanity might just be the appropriate term.
Seriously! I would have passed on him, too. This is not a "devastating" blow. RN will regret his decision and Nick Saban will continue to coach kids up and win NC's. I'm good with that.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010

Are those three any good? If they have some potential and are "4*" players, that's probably fine. But if they are only slightly better than some of the walk-on here, then it's a price too high to pay.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Are those three any good? If they have some potential and are "4*" players, that's probably fine. But if they are only slightly better than some of the walk-on here, then it's a price too high to pay.

Doesn't matter. No kid should be dictating what the Head Coach should do.

If true, then Nkemdiche is out of the picture unless he wants to make it on his own. If those other guys are ANY good, they will get schollies based on their own merits.

Either way, we will be fine! :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.