DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche decommits from Clemson

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Re: DE / ATH Robert Nkemdiche Updates

It's not the drooling over recruits part that gets out of hand, but when folks act like a Robert Nkemdiche or a Jaboo Winston or a Keenan Allen type recruit will make or break the team. While all three are great athletes, none of them, or any other athlete that has caused one of the meltdowns, will determine the future of the Alabama Crimson Tide. When people act as though their lives depend on where a player signs or if a team should ever play football again because Player W didn't commit/sign with their school, the board gets ridiculous. That is what BET, others and myself get annoyed with. Folks feel the need to post because Player W tweeted that he farted in class, which obviously means he's not coming to Bama; that is when the recruiting process gets out of hand.
I agree here and have said the same thing many a times with regards to certian recruits. Yes the players you mentioned would be great additions to our program but we will be fine without them. UA is not about 1 player it is about a team. People need to understand a program that recruits at our current level will miss on far more than we will sign. For every 5 star we sign we will probably miss on 10 more that many feel we have a legit shot at. The nature of the beast at this level.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

I don't think anyone has associated one recruit being the end of the dynasty in college football for any program but when you follow recruiting heavily like some you get emotionally invested in certain recruits that you think your program has a good chance at getting and when it doesn't happen some get upset. I don't think they see the end of winning days but they are upset. BTW... Nkemdiche is going to get great in UA

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

With all due respect, I see folks wanting to win recruiting battles just as much as they do the games. I don't see many folks tying the fate of the program to individual players.
There are some that want to win the recruiting battles, and then there are some that feel they HAVE to win the recruiting battles.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

I don't think anyone has associated one recruit being the end of the dynasty in college football for any program but when you follow recruiting heavily like some you get emotionally invested in certain recruits that you think your program has a good chance at getting and when it doesn't happen some get upset. I don't think they see the end of winning days but they are upset. BTW... Nkemdiche is going to get great in UA
Fans get way to caught up in recruiting. Especially with ratings by the services. They hang on every word that some other fan of CFB who now writes for a site and calls himself a self proclaimed expert or insider. They believe what they write is the gospel. These so called experts are not. They are paparazzi that harrass these recruits for the most part by calling them constantly or texting them to get info. They even follow the recruits that have twitter and take two words and make an article out of it so they can keep their current or get new subscriptions. The people that buy into it alot of times do get carried away with it and take it personal when the recruit spurns their school. Go read the LSU boards about Collins. I just read one the other day where LSU fans are following LC in track and getting excited every time he gets beat. AU fans last year threatened Yeldon on his twitter and on their boards were talking about going after his family. USC fans would have probably run CSS out of Columbia if they would have lost Clowney to UA. And yes we have some of the same fans that support UA.

What I do know is that I am glad that UA's success does not hinge on what some HS recruit may or may not do in college based on some great potential they have generated excitement for by dominating on a field every Friday night where the majority of the players they play against will never play football again competatively after they graduate HS.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

There are some that want to win the recruiting battles, and then there are some that feel they HAVE to win the recruiting battles.
And there are some on here who believe we have had an unsuccessful season if we don't win every game.

I understand what you're saying. Chat boards breed occasionally extreme points of view. That's why they're so popular. But I have never seen anyone apply program-killing consequences to one kid's decision, even in The Tebow Derby.

Folks do convey disappointment or joy, even the sane ones.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

It's jmo but I think the strong desire to land RN amongst many of us isn't because he's a program changer - Bama is so hot right now that a single recruit doesn't make or break us - but rather, that I personally want to see us finally land that consensus all-world, number one recruit.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

Hate to say this to you Tide Warrior but that's all sports in general. Recruiting is as much apart of sports as the draft and look at how people react to that. How many Saint's fans wanted Jeremy Shockey head after Sapp said he was the whistleblower which ends up isn't true. That's just sports, you got your crazies and the people that enjoy it and the people that pass the time with it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

There are some that are competitive by nature and don't like to lose. It could be football games, ping pong, tiddly winks or recruiting. I don't find it wrong or extreme to be disappointed when we lose out on an elite recruit. I'm not going to beat my dog or let it ruin my day if it happens however.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

Hate to say this to you Tide Warrior but that's all sports in general. Recruiting is as much apart of sports as the draft and look at how people react to that. How many Saint's fans wanted Jeremy Shockey head after Sapp said he was the whistleblower which ends up isn't true. That's just sports, you got your crazies and the people that enjoy it and the people that pass the time with it.
I agree with you. I was just referencing it to recruiting because of the thread and current topic. But yes some people get way to caught up in it. I remember a story years ago when a Giants fan got beat up in a rest room after the Giants beat the Eagles in Philly. But Eagles may by the extreme on that since they also threw snowballs at Santa when their team was losing.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

It's jmo but I think the strong desire to land RN amongst many of us isn't because he's a program changer - Bama is so hot right now that a single recruit doesn't make or break us - but rather, that I personally want to see us finally land that consensus all-world, number one recruit.
I can go along with that. But it won`t ruin my day if an 18 year old kid decides he wants to play a game for another college. Except ,of course , if it`s the barn (just kidding, but only a little!)!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I haven't been able to keep up with RN's recruitment very much. I heard he was announcing sometime in May. Are we still the consensus leader for him?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

This one was always coming down to the very end, regardless of any announcements.

And by NSD it's probably going to be an outright circus. These Greater-Than-Zeus recruits who practically get a bust in Canton before they finish their junior year of high school never go quietly into that good night. I highly doubt Nkemdiche does either.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Apparently he is backing off the may announcement date and his coach thinks it "may come to down to the end"
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...7803726/robert-nkemdiche-slowing-process-down

eh... I was wondering why he stated he was going to make a verbal commitment in May anyway???????????

its probably best for all of us that are so involved in RN recruiting to step away for awhile. from here till NSD, we are going to hear every rumor and gossip under the sun regarding his " best visit" "girlfriend attending so so school" "his best of bestest friend is commiting to that school" bit over and over again. Innuendos will abound no doubt.

don't take this the wrong way, I want RN at Bama. but at the end of the day, Bama doesn't need RN.

Last edited:

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

I'd like him to announce for the good guys, but the mean-spirited side of me would also like to see him announce for the Barn and then flip to Bama before or on NSD. I think that's becoming a nice tradition.

RTOTA

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 25, 2012

I'd like him to announce for the good guys, but the mean-spirited side of me would also like to see him announce for the Barn and then flip to Bama before or on NSD. I think that's becoming a nice tradition.
I like to see them suffer as well but I think RN has so much hype that even if he did commit and flip the hype that the initial commit will generate would give any team a boost

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180

eh..

don't take this the wrong way, I want RN at Bama. but at the end of the day, Bama doesn't need RN.
Sorry sanjose but I have to disagree. Bama NEEDS every great player we can get and he is one of them. How could we not NEED players of his
caliber? That is what Bama's staff brings in every year.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Sorry sanjose but I have to disagree. Bama NEEDS every great player we can get and he is one of them. How could we not NEED players of his
Alabama needs players who lay the "me,me,me" aside and focus on team achievements. Alabama needs wrs who block downfield, superstar rbs who earn their playing time. Alabama needs o-lineman who will play any position to help the team. If a player of DJ Hall's ability can divide a team, think what a real big name could do. Alabama is too busy winning ball games to coddle primadonnas. Leave your ego baggage at home RN, climb in board and become the leader of this class.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Colt,

like I said, it would be great to have a guy like RN come to Bama. a great player on a great team, but if he doesn't come, guess what??

yeah, you know the answer. :wink: btw, Clowney was very similar to Nkemdiche. he went to SC and Bama goes on to win another NC in 3 years time.

bottom line, if RN wants a ring or two before he declares for the NFL, come to Bama and become another legend on a legendary team.

pure and simple. :BigA:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.