Santorum: Satan is working on the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
theory means a lot more than you think it does.
i know what theory means, but it is still JUST THAT, a theory. In fact, until we witness something evolve before our eyes, it will never meet the scientific definition of a law. Even if we did witness evolution, we'd have to have it repeated more than once.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The way the word "theory" is used by popular culture, and opponents of science, is the way scientists use the word "hypothesis."

By the time a scientific explanation reaches the status of theory, it is as close to scientific fact as anything ever gets, with the exception of scientific laws, which are qualitatively different, being more observational than explanatory. Theories do not become laws with more support. To say something is "just a theory" is to say that it is "just the most reasonable explanation for phenomena that has a whole lot of evidence in support of it, having made specific predictions that turned out to be true, and having survived sincere attempts to falsify it"

Part of the power of the scientific method is that these propositions are NOT presented as incontrovertible fact, and that they are falsifiable. A falsifiable theory that has survived attempts to falsify it is strong. A worldview that makes no falsifiable predictions is not scientific.

The amount of evidence that exists in support of the theory of evolution justifies it as a factual explanation of how biodiversity happens. The theory of evolution says nothing whatsoever about the origin of life itself, and there are ideas about that, but none has come to dominate the consensus.

Asserting divine origin is of no explanatory value, since that just leaves the question of who created the creator.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The way the word "theory" is used by popular culture, and opponents of science, is the way scientists use the word "hypothesis."

By the time a scientific explanation reaches the status of theory, it is as close to scientific fact as anything ever gets, with the exception of scientific laws, which are qualitatively different, being more observational than explanatory. Theories do not become laws with more support. To say something is "just a theory" is to say that it is "just the most reasonable explanation for phenomena that has a whole lot of evidence in support of it, having made specific predictions that turned out to be true, and having survived sincere attempts to falsify it"
and what specific predictions has the theory of evolution made that turned out to be true?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Uh, no, it does not apply to what he said in that post, specifically, to what I made bold, which was (since you obviously didn't read it the first time :rolleyes:)...I'm not afraid of people of faith. Not real hard to understand.....unless you just can't.
sorry for misreading your post???

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
the one you quoted and seemingly responded to...... :conf3:
The origin of life is where the Bible (OT) begins; the theories and back and forth on the many posts (including the one I qouted) all relate to whether the Bible, in Genesis, is true or not.
:)
My post was in regards to some things in the OT that are difficult to grasp.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The origin of life is where the Bible (OT) begins; the theories and back and forth on the many posts (including the one I qouted) all relate to whether the Bible, in Genesis, is true or not.
:)
My post was in regards to some things in the OT that are difficult to grasp.
i get that the burning bush is not scientifically viable. HOWEVER, IF there is a creator/god of the universe, he'd be able to pull it off. again... IF just so that nobody else misreads the post...

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
OK, so here is a problem that I have been introduced to recently, not the only one, but just as an example:

The bombardier beetle has two chambers in it's abdomen containing chemicals that, when mixed, create an explosion. Evolution is a result of a series of mutations.... so, did he develop the two chambers first? To what end? If it was not a beneficial mutation, it would have vanished according to evolution. Did he create the chemicals first? What prevented the chemicals from reacting in the abdomen and blowing the bug up? The bombardier beetle would have had to simultaneously develop two separate chambers in its abdomen and at the EXACT SAME INSTANCE in time, begin to create the two chemicals. Otherwise, the chambers would have been of no benefit and would have devolved away right after evolving into existence.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
OK, so here is a problem that I have been introduced to recently, not the only one, but just as an example:

The bombardier beetle has two chambers in it's abdomen containing chemicals that, when mixed, create an explosion. Evolution is a result of a series of mutations.... so, did he develop the two chambers first? To what end? If it was not a beneficial mutation, it would have vanished according to evolution. Did he create the chemicals first? What prevented the chemicals from reacting in the abdomen and blowing the bug up? The bombardier beetle would have had to simultaneously develop two separate chambers in its abdomen and at the EXACT SAME INSTANCE in time, begin to create the two chemicals. Otherwise, the chambers would have been of no benefit and would have devolved away right after evolving into existence.
Plausible explanation

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

You do realize that evolution occurs over thousands to millions of years, right? Nothing drastic happens at the EXACT SAME INSTANCE.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
An obvious example is bacteria developing resistance to antibiotics.

But there are lots more
resistance to antibiotics is not the creation of a new species. darwin's very own birds in the galapagos islands changed their beak size, but then they would change back when food became plentiful again.... you can provide evidence of "adaptation", but not evolution in the sense that it would create a new species.

and in the case of the predictions that you sited, all but two said only that the predictions were supported by the evidence or "fit the predictions closely". If evolution is such hard science, why are we not saying evidence CONFIRMS or evidence PROVES, or "fit the prediction EXACTLY"? I understand that there is SOME compelling evidence for evolution... it is not the rock hard case that most of us would have the rest of us believe.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
You do realize that evolution occurs over thousands to millions of years, right? Nothing drastic happens at the EXACT SAME INSTANCE.
The idea is that mutually dependent complex structures appearing simultaneously would be highly improbable. Unfortunately for this argument, it is irrelevant because it ignores the fact that structure which may be optional at one stage of complexity may later become necessary due to modifications of some other structure.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
that is addressed in the next sentence.... and I am assuming a relative "EXACT SAME INSTANCE" given that you are talking about millions and billions of years, actually

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The idea is that mutually dependent complex structures appearing simultaneously would be highly improbable. Unfortunately for this argument, it is irrelevant because it ignores the fact that structure which may be optional at one stage of complexity may later become necessary due to modifications of some other structure.
But, why did it evolve in the first place if it was "optional"? that is completely contradictory to the idea that evolution is a series of mutations/adaptations that benefit the species.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
resistance to antibiotics is not the creation of a new species. darwin's very own birds in the galapagos islands changed their beak size, but then they would change back when food became plentiful again.... you can provide evidence of "adaptation", but not evolution in the sense that it would create a new species.
Observed Instances of Speciation
and in the case of the predictions that you sited, all but two said only that the predictions were supported by the evidence or "fit the predictions closely". If evolution is such hard science, why are we not saying evidence CONFIRMS or evidence PROVES, or "fit the prediction EXACTLY"? I understand that there is SOME compelling evidence for evolution... it is no the rock hard case that most of us would have the rest of us believe.
That's not how science works.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
But, why did it evolve in the first place if it was "optional"? that is completely contradictory to the idea that evolution is a series of mutations/adaptations that benefit the species.
No, it isn't. Something can be beneficial without being mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.