'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
this and he reminds me of Jermaine Gresham from Oklahoma a couple of years ago.
This is the best comparison yet. I also liken him to Aarron Hernandez as another poster said. This kid is going to be something we have not had and we need to hold on to him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure how recent this information is considering we've already had a discussion about this...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...TS0301/303130007/O-J-Howard-receives-Opening-

He didn’t just raise eyebrows with his performance in Mobile, Howard also surprised some with his appearance at Auburn’s Junior Day. The All-State performer committed early to Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide program prior to the start of last season.

The recent coordinator changes in Tuscaloosa has Howard, who grew up an Auburn fan, opening the door a bit for a potential switch to the Plains.

“As I look at it now, I really don’t know what’s in store,” he said. “I give both (Alabama and Auburn) a chance because you don’t know what each coordinator will do. I am going to wait and see how the tight end is going to be used before I make my decision.

“(Scot Loeffler, Auburn’s new offensive coordinator) was trying to show me the different ways the tight end will be motioned — that really caught my eye. I want to see if he’s really going to use them that way. It might be a big twist coming down to the end.”

For Howard, it’s about seeing action as early as possible.

“You want to see if you can get on the field the quickest,” he said. “Both schools have a good engineering program, that’s what I want to do. Those are my two choices right now. It comes down to the opportunity of getting the chance to get on the field the quickest.

“I can’t please everyone.”
Call me being negative here, but I'm not sure how quickly he would get on the field at Bama.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
I'm not sure how recent this information is considering we've already had a discussion about this...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...TS0301/303130007/O-J-Howard-receives-Opening-

Call me being negative here, but I'm not sure how quickly he would get on the field at Bama.
I hope we can sign him on NSD but I will not miss out only any sleep because he may go elsewhere. I just hope the staff already has alternatives for his spot and I am sure they do. We are in a situation right now that we can afford to miss on players and I mean any player. We missed on Clowney and we won a NC and missing on Goldman will not hurt us in the long run in my opinion. I doubt any player this year will either.

I mean think how QBs we have missed on and every year how the critics always say on of UAs biggest weaknesses is a QB but yet we have won 2 NC in the last 3 years with what most consider subpar QBs compared to the top QBs in the country.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I hope we can sign him on NSD but I will not miss out only any sleep because he may go elsewhere. I just hope the staff already has alternatives for his spot and I am sure they do. We are in a situation right now that we can afford to miss on players and I mean any player. We missed on Clowney and we won a NC and missing on Goldman will not hurt us in the long run in my opinion. I doubt any player this year will either.

I mean think how QBs we have missed on and every year how the critics always say on of UAs biggest weaknesses is a QB but yet we have won 2 NC in the last 3 years with what most consider subpar QBs compared to the top QBs in the country.
Well put. It's all about buying in to the system and giving it you're all. I don't think I've ever seen a staff get as close to 100% out of every player the way this staff does. You can watch this program evolve from a few guys who gave great effort but had average talent to a group of elite athletes with exceptional talent who play their hardest every down. This has been an amazing journey. All that being said to say that if brother OJ is scared that his 100% won't get him on the field, then he may need to look elsewhere. This staff has already proven they don't give handouts.

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX

He is still committed to us and I doubt that he decommits. CNS tells players not to commit unless they are 100% committed to us. You can rest assurred that reporters and papers will put a spin on the comments of EACH and EVERYONE of our committments, right up until NSD. They will make it appear that School "A" or School "B" is a serious threat to taking away one of our commits and that recruit "X" is on the verge of decommitting from us. Even if we lose one of our current pledges we will still have a top 3 class.

Lastly please remember that most members of the press thrive on reporting on "shocking" topics and "teaser" articles. They bank on the number of people reading their articles and for the most part we are more likely to read articles that are "controversial". If I were you I wouldn't put much stock in these types of articles...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He is still committed to us and I doubt that he decommits. CNS tells players not to commit unless they are 100% committed to us. You can rest assurred that reporters and papers will put a spin on the comments of EACH and EVERYONE of our committments, right up until NSD. They will make it appear that School "A" or School "B" is a serious threat to taking away one of our commits and that recruit "X" is on the verge of decommitting from us. Even if we lose one of our current pledges we will still have a top 3 class.

Lastly please remember that most members of the press thrive on reporting on "shocking" topics and "teaser" articles. They bank on the number of people reading their articles and for the most part we are more likely to read articles that are "controversial". If I were you I wouldn't put much stock in these types of articles...
I'm very familiar with our the print media works. I'm a Comm major with a focus on print.

To your big point: that's great but we're talking about 16, 17, and 18 year old kids. They might be committed to Bama when they commit, but they change their minds. What about Justin Thomas this year? He was committed to the idea of WR or DB until he played the 2011 season at QB and decided that's where he wanted to play.

Did you date in high school? Were you committed to that girlfriend of yours? Still committed to her or did you change your mind a few months (or weeks) after you started dating?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

the discussion is based on what OJ howard has said, publicly. no one is saying he isnt committed to us right now, but its a long ways to signing day for a recruit that is still kinda undercided.

Its all just discussion based on conjecture of a young persons thoughts for the day.

from what ive read of the posts, all are saying we'd love to have him, btu if he doesnt stick, we'll be just fine...and i agree.

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Regardless, of where he signs, we will be ok.... One player will neither make or break us.... We are a program based on a system/process, not one player... With that says, I feel that he will stick with us and I cannot wait to see him in Crimson!!!

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Regardless, of where he signs, we will be ok.... One player will neither make or break us.... We are a program based on a system/process, not one player... With that says, I feel that he will stick with us and I cannot wait to see him in Crimson!!!
This is true, but I would really hate to miss on the TE prospect we've been waiting to get in the program. Especially with DeSean Smith naming LSU his leader. Both are very similar prospects and could be elite pass-catching TEs. I would hate to lose out on both.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Unless we have 1 or 2 guys having breakout seasons this year I think his chances of seeing the field early would be pretty good at UA. He's a potential "difference maker" at the TE position. JMHO.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
new article on Tidesports.com, OJ was interviewed by Kieth Niebuhr. OJ stated that he was solid to Bama, but auburn was pushing really hard.

Niebuhr said that he covered 2 camps this past weekend, OJ by far had the best physique for a HS player and enjoys competing with the best of them.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Aubies OC has been trying to take credit for Aaron Hernandez in recent interviews leaving out he wasnt the OC at UF while he was around. Some kids may be buying the BS.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Aubies OC has been trying to take credit for Aaron Hernandez in recent interviews leaving out he wasnt the OC at UF while he was around. Some kids may be buying the BS.
what a surprise!! sounds like another Trooper story when he was telling recruits he turned down the Dallas Cowboys...

if these kids are buying the barn's BS, they deserve to go to the plains.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to Temple's bio on Loeffler, he was QB coach at UF in 2009. Hernandez was there at the time.

What are the interviews of him taking credit? I want to see how he's wording his comments to see factual they are. It's all about wording.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
According to Temple's bio on Loeffler, he was QB coach at UF in 2009. Hernandez was there at the time.

What are the interviews of him taking credit? I want to see how he's wording his comments to see factual they are. It's all about wording.
I believe Lutzenwhatever did a radio interview how loeffler used the tight ends like hernandez in his offense. What I mean was it wasnt his offense he was the QB coach and while coaching that position prepared Tebow to be unprepared to be an NFL QB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe Lutzenwhatever did a radio interview how loeffler used the tight ends like hernandez in his offense. What I mean was it wasnt his offense he was the QB coach and while coaching that position prepared Tebow to be unprepared to be an NFL QB.
Gotcha. Lutz probably is saying that to make himself have hope that he'll be important this year.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
O.J. Howard had some interesting comments in an article from Auburn's Rivals site. He seems to have some misinformation on how Alabama uses the TEs. He doesn't think we motion enough.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
O.J. Howard had some interesting comments in an article from Auburn's Rivals site. He seems to have some misinformation on how Alabama uses the TEs. He doesn't think we motion enough.
One guess where he got his information from. Smelley was utilized heavily the latter part of the year, Williams as well. Why don't these recruits look for themselves instead of believing school A when they discuss school B with them?

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
If that is what OJ Howard is saying then all I have to ask him is this: who does he think will get him the ball at *U? Mosley? Frazier? Hahaha. His talent would so be wasted at *U and I hope he sees that.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
he's seeming to buy everything the aub staff is feeding him. Chizik's going to be telling him his teams at Auburn have never lost a single game by the end of this recruiting cycle, or that he led Iowa state to a stunning Rose Bowl Victory over the NE Patriots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.