'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates

StayHydrated

Jan 12, 2012
Not sure how to post a link but there's an article on bamamag.com this am where OJ talks about auburn offering all four year scholarships instead of one year scholarships and how auburn said they will honor their commitment even if he were to get hurt or if someone higher on their board were to try to commit later. I guess they are wasting no time throwing Taylor and philon in our faces.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Barn pushing hard for OJ Howard

IIRC OJ grew up a Barn fan. I think we are going to have to sweat this one out. We are going to have to get used to teams throwing Taylor and Philon in our faces especially our little brother in W. GA who is going to have to try and do anything they can to slow down our machine.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Right now, BAMA is the "IT" team to beat. OJ and any of our current or future commits need to think it over real good and hard before they do something that they will regret...:cool2:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The four year scholarship deal is something we're going to have to offer ASAP, I believe. Auburn is pumping it out to recruits, and even though it's just meaningless verbiage in reality, recruits are apparently eating it up. We're going to have to respond with something similar.

As for Howard, he seems to be a pretty soft commitment. I'm not saying that someone will flip him, but he's visiting around and listening to plenty of overtures. He's not the kind of guy at this point that we can just say, "Oh yeah, he's in the bag, no need to worry about him." We're going to have to continue to recruit him heavily.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

The four year scholarship deal is something we're going to have to offer ASAP, I believe. Auburn is pumping it out to recruits, and even though it's just meaningless verbiage in reality, recruits are apparently eating it up. We're going to have to respond with something similar.

As for Howard, he seems to be a pretty soft commitment. I'm not saying that someone will flip him, but he's visiting around and listening to plenty of overtures. He's not the kind of guy at this point that we can just say, "Oh yeah, he's in the bag, no need to worry about him." We're going to have to continue to recruit him heavily.

BET,

Is Howard worth fighting for?? his measurables is hard to predict at this point. what position is Bama recruiting him for, athlete??

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Re: 'Bama Commit OJ Howard Updates (Soft Commit)

I want him to he a part of our family but if he decides to decommit then I wish the best. I think we will be ok either way. Also CNS rarely loses out on a top commitment unless there are extenuating circumstances. With that said, I fully expect Howard to be a part of the 2013 class. Also we are recruiting such elite athletes that I would be shocked if other teams DID NOT pursue and utilize everything including the kitchen sink, to try to flip our guys.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Right now, BAMA is the "IT" team to beat. OJ and any of our current or future commits need to think it over real good and hard before they do something that they will regret...:cool2:
Exactly!!!..This class is filling fast with the best of the best HS recruits..If you commit..You better hold on tight to your spot..Cause there are recruits waiting for a committable offer so they can jump aboard..

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
Agree. Top kids are waiting in the wings, and that's why I have to wonder if the 4-year scholarship is that big an issue as a practical matter to folks we'd consider the true top-tier recruits. Seems to me the much more important consideration for them is who is going to get them ready for the NFL. Those kids already believe they'll be on scholarship the whole time they're in college. They're way past that issue.

JBAMMER334

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 23, 2012
Prattville, Al

Whats going to be funny is when auburns "awesome 4 year scholarship plan" gets them in a bind when players dont pan out or they have long term injuries and still have to honor those scholarships instead of having openings for recruits lol sounds good now but wait until the barn burns and theyre begging to get rid of these schollys!! rtr NDS=Never Doubt Saban

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN

You're probably right. If we thought rival recruiters were talking crazy about Bama before, just wait until they can "legitimately" (wink, wink) say that Bama offers only 1/4 of the scholarship they can offer, and Bama wants to cut you before you even get to signing day.

CrimsonBleedRed

All-American
Nov 24, 2007
United States

Not sure how to post a link but there's an article on bamamag.com this am where OJ talks about auburn offering all four year scholarships instead of one year scholarships and how auburn said they will honor their commitment even if he were to get hurt or if someone higher on their board were to try to commit later. I guess they are wasting no time throwing Taylor and philon in our faces.
That four year scholly gurantee is pure garbage. If he wants to buy into their "smoke and mirrors" recruiting pitch, then Bama will find someone as talented if not more talented to replace. I'm not taking a shot at the young man, I am simply stating a fact. But I will say thins, the scholly from Bama is essentially a four year deal predicated on the young men working hard on and off the field. Right now going to Auburn is essentially taking the easy road. If he prefers the easy roads, oh well.

But let me say this, I want to keep O.J. Howard and the crap AU is spewing, I simply hope players see through it.

deuce_deuce

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2011
Hoover, AL

the whole 4 year scholarship is funny to me. this is one of the most unnecessary parts of the rules. no matter which scholarship you have, if you perform you stay on the team. if you underperform you are encouraged to transfer. if you get in trouble you risked being suspended from the team. nothing changes.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012

the whole 4 year scholarship is funny to me. this is one of the most unnecessary parts of the rules. no matter which scholarship you have, if you perform you stay on the team. if you underperform you are encouraged to transfer. if you get in trouble you risked being suspended from the team. nothing changes.
This.

It is a meaningless distinction.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

The 4 year scholarship gimmick will destroy their program. If we lose a couple to the barn over this Coach Saban will find replacements.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I'm still waiting for them to prove we have just "dropped" a player because he just got hurt. Last I checked Prothro and kids like Ivan Matchett still got their schooling paid for...

Is that not a scholarship?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

CNS will not offer 4 year schollies. There are things called medical scholarships to take care of injury.

Barn is in desparation mode and a "common sense" conversation will erode away these statements that come immediately following a barn visit

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I'm still waiting for them to prove we have just "dropped" a player because he just got hurt. Last I checked Prothro and kids like Ivan Matchett still got their schooling paid for...

Is that not a scholarship?
Please don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument..

silly barners. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.