Entre: Crockpot Chicken & Dumplin's - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Relayer's Avatar

Re: Crockpot Chicken & Dumplin's

My wife does something similar, but uses flour tortillas for the dumplings. Not bad.

But, my mother's and father's families all were raised in the country in Alabama. My mom, and all those aunts were some of the best cooks in the world. There's no substitute for the way they kused to cook things, including chicken & dumplings. But in the day and age where mom and dad are so often full time employed, cooking has suffered mightily.

2. Advertisement

That looks so good!

I just made my second version of this recipe and thought I'd post my thoughts....

First - thank you, Staci....awesome recipe. Very simple to make and who doesn't like the flavor of chicken and dumplings? YUM!

The first version I made was delicious but I got the texture all wrong. The chicken was too shreaded and I overcooked the dumplings so they kind of mushed out.

Second time around I took each piece of chicken out one at a time (after 5 hours on high) and pulled them apart into fairly large pieces. I did this on a plate so I could control the cuts. This made a huge difference.....the result was a more traditional version.

I also realized that the dumplings are supposed to have a kind of soft inside so it's OK to cut power after 30 minutes.....the result was a perfect texture.

I stuck to the original recipe but also added some extra celery and a couple small cans of sliced mushrooms. (Next time I will use fresh mushrooms to see how that improves things).

I also used chicken broth....no water.

Lastly....don't be afraid to season. You can use just salt and pepper, which I did, but I also added some Mrs. Dash.

I hope to try more recipes here and will post as appropriate.

In the meantime.....if you have not tried this recipe...go for it....it's amazing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I just made this today for the first time. It was delicious.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll