Entre: Crockpot Chicken & Dumplin's

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Place the chicken, butter, soups, broth, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to
cover.
Cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on high.
Uncover and use a fork to easily shred the chicken.
For the dumplings, you can either tear them into small pieces or roll them out and slice into
strips depending on your preference.
Add them to your chicken mixture, making sure to push them down into the liquid.
Cover and cook on high for another 60 minutes or until the dumplings are done to your liking.
Salt & pepper to taste before serving.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I will differently try this. My grandmother bless her died many years ago but her Chicken & Dumplings was the best. Never found anything to compare to her's and don't think I ever will but thanks for the slow cooker receipe might be the closest thing. I think you for this.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I've made this a couple of times recently and it's turned out perfectly every time. I roll my biscuits out and slice them to dumpling size. I haven't tried the "just tear 'em up" method as that's not what I grew up on. My grandmother's chicken and dumplings was very simple and delicious and I've never been satisfied by anyone's else's - certainly not my own - but this little slow cooker recipe has won me over and my whole family loves it!

I made a slight adjustment last time in that I didn't shred the chicken too much. I'd say I shredded half of it finely, then left the other half in more chuck-sized pieces - that was a bigger hit with the fam.

Definitely give it a try, Rogue!

Last edited:

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Oh my goodness I tried this earlier this week and it was GREAT. I chopped some celery and threw it in along with some sweet peas. I have enough for at least 4 meals during the week and it's good.

While I really can't remember my grandmother's receipes since I was a kid this is excellent. Thank you so much Staci this will be in my regular rotation of meals going forward.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
My first time on this forum - I'm not a cook, by no means. I saw this thread, and just wanted to toss something out there. This is one of my favorites - my wife makes a pretty mean batch! She boils a couple of eggs and chops up to add (along with the celery that's mentioned above) - it really adds to the flavor!

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi
I made a slight adjustment last time in that I didn't shred the chicken too much. I'd say I shredded half of it finely, then left the other half in more chuck-sized pieces - that was a bigger hit with the fam.
I like mine in chunky pieces along with the shredded as well....it's a texture thing.

I know you guys recycle leftovers like we do sometimes....add some fresh veggies [carrots, peas, onions, mushrooms, etc.], put it all in a casserole dish and throw some pie pastry on top, bake it a few and voila, .....chicken pot pie. Somehow it makes third day leftovers exciting again.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Place the chicken, butter, soups, broth, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to
cover.
For the dumplings, you can either tear them into small pieces or roll them out and slice into
Add them to your chicken mixture, making sure to push them down into the liquid.
Cover and cook on high for another 60 minutes or until the dumplings are done to your liking.
I'm not a chicken and dumplings fan but my mother always cooks it for our family reunion. One trick she started doing is taking flour tortillas and cutting them into bite size strips for the dumplings. Once they cook they expand like a dumpling and her pot always comes up empty at the reunion. I thought the flour tortillas was an interesting easy way to make the dumplings.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Has anyone tried the ready made dumplings from the frozen food section? They taste as good as my scratch made ones, I can also make a mess with a cup and a half of flour. They have wax paper between them but still stick sometime, we found that if you nuke 'em for 20 seconds it eliminates that problem.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
cover.
Should the crock cooker be pre-heated? Does it matter to flavor or cooking time?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Should the crock cooker be pre-heated? Does it matter to flavor or cooking time?
Doesn't matter. I've never pre-heated my crockpot; just put everything in that I need to and turn that sucker on! :)

I made a batch just this past week and seasoned it with a little Slap Ya Mama. Boy, did it kick up the flavor!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I recently found a recipe for chicken and dumplings, and so far I have made them two times. I haven't tried them in a crock pot yet, but that is a great idea. I put everything in big pot on the stove. I use Grands buttermilk can biscuits. I roll them in my hands to form a long tube, and then I cut them into 6ths or 8ths depending upon how big I want them then I roll them in flour to help them keep there shape while cooking. Everything is done within about 30 minutes. I'm actually having this tomorrow night for supper. Yummy!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I've had the same issues as others; my mom's chicken and dumplings were the best I've ever had. I never had my paternal grandmother's chicken and dumplings but did eat her gopher (tortoise) and dumplings when I was a kid. This was before the gopher tortoise was considered threatened or endangered.

i think I'll give this recipe a try. Do you flatten out the biscuits using a roller or hands; then cut into strips? (I don't care for thick, gooey dumplings.)

Is refrigerated biscuit dough the same thing as canned biscuits?

I have Mary B's frozen biscuits in the freezer; do you think these would work if I thawed and flattened?

ETA: just realized the last post is pretty old but it is the most recent in the Recipe forum.:conf2:

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
My wife does something similar, but uses flour tortillas for the dumplings. Not bad.

But, my mother's and father's families all were raised in the country in Alabama. My mom, and all those aunts were some of the best cooks in the world. There's no substitute for the way they kused to cook things, including chicken & dumplings. But in the day and age where mom and dad are so often full time employed, cooking has suffered mightily.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I just made my second version of this recipe and thought I'd post my thoughts....

First - thank you, Staci....awesome recipe. Very simple to make and who doesn't like the flavor of chicken and dumplings? YUM!

The first version I made was delicious but I got the texture all wrong. The chicken was too shreaded and I overcooked the dumplings so they kind of mushed out.

Second time around I took each piece of chicken out one at a time (after 5 hours on high) and pulled them apart into fairly large pieces. I did this on a plate so I could control the cuts. This made a huge difference.....the result was a more traditional version.

I also realized that the dumplings are supposed to have a kind of soft inside so it's OK to cut power after 30 minutes.....the result was a perfect texture.

I stuck to the original recipe but also added some extra celery and a couple small cans of sliced mushrooms. (Next time I will use fresh mushrooms to see how that improves things).

I also used chicken broth....no water.

Lastly....don't be afraid to season. You can use just salt and pepper, which I did, but I also added some Mrs. Dash. :)

I hope to try more recipes here and will post as appropriate.

In the meantime.....if you have not tried this recipe...go for it....it's amazing! :)

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Another variation from using refrigerated biscuit dough is flour tortilla's. My mother cuts them into pieces. They swell up and soak up the flavors just like any other type dough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.