If John Bonham of Led Zepplin had not died

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-eight-year-old-drummer-cover-led-zeppelin-w521460

John Bonham's drum part in Led Zeppelin's "Good Times Bad Times" is one of classic rock's most legendary grooves. And, thanks to the skipping kick-drum part in the verse, one of the trickiest to pull off. That's just one reason we're so impressed with the above video of eight-year-old drummer Yoyoka Soma.

The young Japanese prodigy has been at it since age two, and now plays in a family band. She effortlessly nails the entire Zeppelin song (watch her foot at the 25-second mark), complete with stylish cowbell flair.
The Internet is teeming with cover videos, many of them by kids like Soma. But there's something special about this one, which was originally a submission to the Hit Like a Girl drumming contest. It's not just the accuracy of the performance; it's her loping, laid-back approach, which is not only Bonham's greatest contribution to rock percussion – it's the hardest part of his style to imitate.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm nearly certain they would have sounded pretty "80s" by 1984-85 - most bands when pushing close to two decades start 'chasing' the current new bands in an attempt to stay relevant.

That would have been heartbreaking, if true.

FWIW, Bonham is probably my favorite rock drummer ever. He was a flipping beast!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm nearly certain they would have sounded pretty "80s" by 1984-85 - most bands when pushing close to two decades start 'chasing' the current new bands in an attempt to stay relevant.

That would have been heartbreaking, if true.

FWIW, Bonham is probably my favorite rock drummer ever. He was a flipping beast!
What's your opinion of the band Greta Van Fleet with that young singer that sounds an awful lot like Plant? Just curious what folks in the music business think about situations like that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.