If John Bonham of Led Zepplin had not died

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
What do you think the music since from Zepplin would be like? They started out bluesy like most English bands covering American bluesmen songs, transformed to some folky mixed songs (Led Zep 3) moved to heavy rock.

Physical Graffii was my fav album. The next album Presence not radio friendly but technically was very good. Their last album In thru the out door had some good radio friendly tunes and changed Zep's musical approach yet again.

One wonders what Zep would have done in the 80's, 90's and how their sound would be in the 2000's I somehow suspect they would have survived successfully in each decade. JP Jones is a master arranger and bass player/keyboardist, Plant & Page are masterful songsmiths and Bonham is just a monster drummer. Beatles, Stones and other 4 somes etc might be very good but the 4 of Led Zep was the very best musically and later creating great songs.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
That's a really good question, bro. And to be honest, I've got no answer. I like Physical Graffiti a lot too. Hard for me to pick a favorite because I'll dig on one of them for a while, and then the next time I put on III, I go, yep that's my favorite.

I think III is prolly my favorite, if for no other reason than it had Tangerine. I love that song. And Bron Y Aur Stomp, too. I like the acoustical flair of that record. And you don't hear it played nearly as much as other Zeppelin albums. In fact, probably the reason I don't listen to much Zeppelin any more is the fact that they were so "overplayed" as a band. But you don't hear III much.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I agree...good question. Given their track record as you state they are innovators and masters at slight evolution just enough to make you wonder which album of them all you like best. I can't decide which one I like the most - heck they are all so good and all special in their own way.

I think they would still be together and playing today if Bonham hadn't passed away. And they would have continued to produce a LOT of rock music much as their previous productions, IMO.

BTW, you guys do have the 3 CD release "How the west was won" don't you?

Here's one song from it...

:cool:

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Cant answer your question on where they may have headed but for me the first two albums are still my favorite. They did very good interpretations of blues songs.:cool: I've been hooked on blues since seeing Johnny Shines play while I was at Bama.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Cant answer your question on where they may have headed but for me the first two albums are still my favorite. They did very good interpretations of blues songs.:cool: I've been hooked on blues since seeing Johnny Shines play while I was at Bama.
Bamaro I had the chance to see John Lee Hooker in the 80's in North San Diego. I was front and center and took so great pictures. After the show I got a chance to meet him and talk with him. Charlie Musselwhite was playing with him but John Lee was the show. JL Hooker and Muddy Waters I love great bluesmen.

Zep did great work on their first 2 albums with blues and after 3 they did incorporate blues into the other albums, you can see it in Physical Grafitti and even earlier in Houses of the Holy but the got more metal.

After a somewhat failed album,though I don't think so they became more mainstream with "In thru the out door". I liked it FYI. I think if Zep was still around wih Bonham we would still be seeing great music from them. The four togther was special something we don't see in many lifetimes. IMO

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I saw the Led Zeppelin in 1977 in Birmingham. It was essentially the same show as the movie " Song remains the same"

Bonham is IMO the single biggest influence on rock drumming. He and Carmine Appice of the Vanilla Fudge and later with countless other performers took rock drumming to new level. I realize there are many great drummers of that era including Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and Ian Paice to name but a few but I'm talking strictly influence and not playing ability.

I strongly agree regarding John Paul Jones who was already an established session player with such acts as Donovan before joining Zep was an essential part of their sound. He is usually the last one thought of when discussing Zeppelin but was just as important as any of the other three. (If you want a good example of Jones influence on drumming listen to the drumming on "Hurdy Gurdy Man") Sounds like JB but was another session guy whom I can't recall. I think Page may have played on or helped produce some Donovan tracks as well. It was a pretty dynamic recording scene in London during the late sixties and I picture it as almost something magical. Rock and Roll was becoming more than anyone had imagined and was pushing sound and instrument technology similar to how software has driven the computer industry.

Bonham had a strong instantly recognizable style and some of the best examples of that style IMO, are found in songs such "Black Dog", "Good Times Bad Times", "The Ocean", "Misty Mountain Hop" "Fool in the Rain", "Nobody's fault but Mine", "Cashmere" and of course "Moby Dick" to name just a few.
I could just name practically every tune but you get the picture. Again I'm talking about drum style and not just all the killer tunes the group did.

How he got that incredible sound out of those Ludwig Vistalite drums is more than just tuning. His attack and technique had just as much to do with it. IMO of course.

They are without a doubt my all time favorite band and John Bonham is the drummer I have most tried to emulate whenever possible. Key word there is "tried". :redface:

Rest in Peace Bonzo.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
JPT4Bama:

You wrote: "Sounds like JB but was another session guy whom I can't recall."

According to this web page it was "Clem Cattini"

Very informative and interesting comments - thanks!

I'm am not a musician such as yourself but I assure you I share the passion equally. Led Zep is also my fav. all time band. I've never been able to figure out how they could have created so much amazing music through their period of existence. Much like the creativity of The Beatles only more instrument-oriented.

All the best,
Baz

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
JPT4Bama:

You wrote: "Sounds like JB but was another session guy whom I can't recall."

According to this web page it was "Clem Cattini"

Very informative and interesting comments - thanks!

I'm am not a musician such as yourself but I assure you I share the passion equally. Led Zep is also my fav. all time band. I've never been able to figure out how they could have created so much amazing music through their period of existence. Much like the creativity of The Beatles only more instrument-oriented.

All the best,
Baz
How about that? Can't say I ever heard of the guy but he's probably never heard of me either. :) Thanks for the info and Zep was something special for sure.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I saw the Led Zeppelin in 1977 in Birmingham. It was essentially the same show as the movie " Song remains the same"

Bonham is IMO the single biggest influence on rock drumming. He and Carmine Appice of the Vanilla Fudge and later with countless other performers took rock drumming to new level. I realize there are many great drummers of that era including Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and Ian Paice to name but a few but I'm talking strictly influence and not playing ability.

I strongly agree regarding John Paul Jones who was already an established session player with such acts as Donovan before joining Zep was an essential part of their sound. He is usually the last one thought of when discussing Zeppelin but was just as important as any of the other three. (If you want a good example of Jones influence on drumming listen to the drumming on "Hurdy Gurdy Man") Sounds like JB but was another session guy whom I can't recall. I think Page may have played on or helped produce some Donovan tracks as well. It was a pretty dynamic recording scene in London during the late sixties and I picture it as almost something magical. Rock and Roll was becoming more than anyone had imagined and was pushing sound and instrument technology similar to how software has driven the computer industry.

Bonham had a strong instantly recognizable style and some of the best examples of that style IMO, are found in songs such "Black Dog", "Good Times Bad Times", "The Ocean", "Misty Mountain Hop" "Fool in the Rain", "Nobody's fault but Mine", "Cashmere" and of course "Moby Dick" to name just a few.
I could just name practically every tune but you get the picture. Again I'm talking about drum style and not just all the killer tunes the group did.

How he got that incredible sound out of those Ludwig Vistalite drums is more than just tuning. His attack and technique had just as much to do with it. IMO of course.

They are without a doubt my all time favorite band and John Bonham is the drummer I have most tried to emulate whenever possible. Key word there is "tried". :redface:

Rest in Peace Bonzo.
Dude I keep trying to get the beat down to Good Times Bad Times. Bonhams footwork on the song is amazing.
s
I met Vinny and Eric Singer many years ago at the NAMM Show in Anaheim.

The Drum Shop here in LA had a Ludwig Vistalite kit set that looked exactly liked Bonhams. I would go there and look at that set like someone looking at a loved one. One of my major regrets was that I should have bought the kit even if I had to go into major debt. I know that will never have that opportunity again to purchase a Vistalite set like Bonhams.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Dude I keep trying to get the beat down to Good Times Bad Times. Bonhams footwork on the song is amazing.
s
I met Vinny and Eric Singer many years ago at the NAMM Show in Anaheim.

The Drum Shop here in LA had a Ludwig Vistalite kit set that looked exactly liked Bonhams. I would go there and look at that set like someone looking at a loved one. One of my major regrets was that I should have bought the kit even if I had to go into major debt. I know that will never have that opportunity again to purchase a Vistalite set like Bonhams.
LOL! The holy grail of single bass drum work! I know he previously used 2 but the story is only one for Good Time Bad Times. Honestly, I don't want to know.

I can't remember if it was that tune or another on one of the 1st two Zep albums but you were able to pick up the "squeak" of his Speed King BD pedal if you listened carefully.

Do you remember when "Ghost Pedals" came out? Excellent for it's day. I went through a couple of old Rogers swiv-a-matics before settling on the DW back in '83. Never found one better. IMO

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Died 32 years ago today.

Listened to sports talk radio in Nashville today, a show hosted by Steve Gorman (Black Crowes drummer). Yep, we have a drummer from the Crowes doing sports talk in Nashvegas. He said his favorite two are Bonham and Ringo.

Thought it was interesting how he said Ringo was sooooooo underappreciated.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Died 32 years ago today.

Listened to sports talk radio in Nashville today, a show hosted by Steve Gorman (Black Crowes drummer). Yep, we have a drummer from the Crowes doing sports talk in Nashvegas. He said his favorite two are Bonham and Ringo.

Thought it was interesting how he said Ringo was sooooooo underappreciated.
He was indeed. Of course George Harrison was also overshadowed by the fact thet Lennon and McCartney happened to be in the band. :)

Several things contributed to Ringo's situation including the primative recording techniques which tended to muddy up drum tracks especially in the Beatles case which would often stretch the limit of recording capabilities.
Ringo tended to lose respect when stories of how Paul was actually laying down drum tracks, etc. or that other studio drummers were overdubbing his tracks. Years later Bernard Purdie, the drummer on "Deacon Blues" among other great songs claimed it was he who "fixed" much of Ringo's original work. This has never been proven.

The funny thing is that producers would often suggest/coax drummers to "try and get that crunchy Ringo style" after a while.
Phil Collins is a good example of copping some Ringo licks. IMO

Gorman is an excellent drummer and his work on Black Crowes w/Jimmy Page sounds identical to Bonham.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's a really good question, bro. And to be honest, I've got no answer. I like Physical Graffiti a lot too. Hard for me to pick a favorite because I'll dig on one of them for a while, and then the next time I put on III, I go, yep that's my favorite.

I think III is prolly my favorite, if for no other reason than it had Tangerine. I love that song. And Bron Y Aur Stomp, too. I like the acoustical flair of that record. And you don't hear it played nearly as much as other Zeppelin albums. In fact, probably the reason I don't listen to much Zeppelin any more is the fact that they were so "overplayed" as a band. But you don't hear III much.
i'm with you on III being my favorite complete album (followed very closely by physical graffiti). although i have to say, achilles last stand is my favorite song they ever did. i just love the guitar work on that song.

i think they would have held up pretty well, not sure which direction they would have headed though. plant can still sing like nobody's business.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I think they would have adapted like they did from blues to harder rock. In thru the our door showed a more commercial rock music ande it seemed to be heading that way. Wihtout John Bladwin aka John Paul Jones Jimmy Page would have suffered. John Paul Jones was really Zepplin. Bonzo the best drummer ever completed Zep. I know Page is a GREAT guitarist and Plant is a GREAT singer but JP Jones and Bonzo they were the backbone of Zep.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Wake up thread :)

Full Led Zep segment on Kennedy Center Honors. Jack Black was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOy5TCB9JMw

I have always thought Ann and Nancy Wilson do a good job covering them. Their Stairway to Heaven finale was obviously moving.

No telling what they would have done if John Bonham had not died. I do appreciate what they did though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.