Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Re: Question for Legal Eagles -- What about the Asst S&C Coach??

It's more than curious to me that the other woman's fiancee, and assistant S&C coach, has been totally ignored by the talking heads, and deafeningly silent himself.

Given Petrino's former power to skirt University HR rules, I think it's safe to assume he could have hired or fired anybody on the S&C staff. So no matter what the org chart said, the poor fellow reported up through to Petrino. At least until a few hours ago.

Imagine your fiancee doing....whatever....with your boss's boss.

While engagement, even one publicly declared on Facebook, doesn't carry any legal status that I'm aware of, I'm sure such a claim would play well in front of a jury. I don't know if he has legal cause of action, but in the court of male egos, he certainly does. If I were on a jury, I'd sure find in his favor.

So to all the Labor & Employment litigators out there: Assuming there are no material mitigating factors in Petrino's favor that haven't yet come to light -- and you'd have to assume he would have made sure they were out there if they existed at all -- does the S&C coach have a potential legal claim?
Sue errbody! Wooo!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

It's more than curious to me that the other woman's fiancee, and assistant S&C coach, has been totally ignored by the talking heads, and deafeningly silent himself.

Given Petrino's former power to skirt University HR rules, I think it's safe to assume he could have hired or fired anybody on the S&C staff. So no matter what the org chart said, the poor fellow reported up through to Petrino. At least until a few hours ago.

Imagine your fiancee doing....whatever....with your boss's boss.

While engagement, even one publicly declared on Facebook, doesn't carry any legal status that I'm aware of, I'm sure such a claim would play well in front of a jury. I don't know if he has legal cause of action, but in the court of male egos, he certainly does. If I were on a jury, I'd sure find in his favor.

So to all the Labor & Employment litigators out there: Assuming there are no material mitigating factors in Petrino's favor that haven't yet come to light -- and you'd have to assume he would have made sure they were out there if they existed at all -- does the S&C coach have a potential legal claim?
I keep seeing him mentioned as Assistant S&C coach, but everything I've found online says he's Director of Swimming and Diving Operations. Not sure where the S&C stuff comes from.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Brother might hang around during the interim, but no way he can remain after they hire their future coach. If he plays it right, he might get a nice package to move on.

Thinking about their future, I am wondering about Tubby. Ears is not going to contend for national championships at Texas Tech and I believe he is from Arkansas. Depending on the contractural oblications with Tech, it would not surprise me to see him take a serious look. Arkansas could do worse.

1. Arkansas is where Tubby always went Duck hunting, during Recruiting Season...
2. Tubby's not happy at Tech, they have him still running a variant of Leach's Offense. Tubby wasn't allowed to put in his own offense.
3. What a hoot if Arkansas sends a plane to Tubby to try to get him to replace Petrino. :) (Tit for Tat)

Last edited:

Wow talk about a rough 2 weeks. Hate it for the guy.
And as I mentioned previously, I hate it for the wedding vendors that will probably be out of a job on June 9th. Judging by the fact the girl probably comes from a good family (Before the 20K she was given as a "gift"), it's safe to say her vendors required a good amount of money up front... but they still won't see full payment for a date that is prime wedding day real estate.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Jeff Long did the right thing!

Jeff Long made the right/correct decision in firing BP!

If Mal Moore ever retires and Coach Saban does not want that job, Jeff Long could be a good candidate for AD.

You want someone who has been on the firing line and has made good decisions.

I'm still watching to see what if anything happens to the former VB player. Lawsuits could result from that decision. If I were the AD, I would not want her in the position that she currently holds. Give her a raise and send her to the Volleyball part of the Athletic Department because of how she acquired the current position. Was the current assignment one that she earned on her Volleyback?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Jeff Long did the right thing!

Jeff Long was the one who hired Petrino knowing he was a total scum bag. I think he did the right thing, but he should have known it was bound to happen eventually.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

rumor is the AD tried to buy Ms Jessica Dorrell a first class ticket out of Fayetteville......but she only rides coach.

*rimshot*

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jeff Long was the one who hired Petrino knowing he was a total scum bag. I think he did the right thing, but he should have known it was bound to happen eventually.
He knew he was a scum bag? Up until now, what did Petrino do to be called a scum bag? He left the Falcons mid-season for the job he just got fired from? I can see the correlation of him not fulfilling his contract at one job to take another job and Jeff Long should have knowing that CBP was going to have an affair with an employee. Easy correlation between those two actions.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

No other choice could me made. I spoke with one of the 'Broyles' clan a couple of times in the past week and knew the only Q was when. (just had to sit on it till 'when' happened. ) Too many old-school PTB forced Long's hand. Next coach will surprise some but, shouldn't.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Garrick McGee. Is it?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I keep seeing him mentioned as Assistant S&C coach, but everything I've found online says he's Director of Swimming and Diving Operations. Not sure where the S&C stuff comes from.
You're right. My original information was wrong. He is on the swimming staff.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

He knew he was a scum bag? Up until now, what did Petrino do to be called a scum bag? He left the Falcons mid-season for the job he just got fired from? I can see the correlation of him not fulfilling his contract at one job to take another job and Jeff Long should have knowing that CBP was going to have an affair with an employee. Easy correlation between those two actions.

Agreed wholeheartedly. His actions prior to l'affaire Dorrell were tacky and perhaps even shady, but they didn't warrant the label of scum bag. They might be on the borderline for acceptable coaching behavior, but let's not get all self-righteous and act like Dan Lebatard.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The phone records are out, and boy did Bobby like to text her on days leading up to games...

Oh yeah... there were definitely picture texts sent.
Petrino calls/ texts to Dorrell highlighted:

Apparently there were texts before several SEC games, including 7 before Bama and 80 (!) before Vandy...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Thomas Murphy ‏ @TomMurphyADG Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
4 consecutive days prior to Bama game, first BP call of day to Dorrell's #: 5:52 a.m. Tues., 6:35 a.m. Wed, 5:49 a.m. Thurs, 7:55 a.m. Fri

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Let's look at his two major past "sins".

Unless he called Bobby Lowder and said they need to fire Tubby and hire him, I don't see the problem. Lots of coaches interview for jobs, even if there is no official vacancy. He also supposedly looked into other jobs. Well, Louisville is hardly at the top of the football food chain and football isn't at the top of the sports food chain at Louisville. I don't blame him for looking for a better gig.

Then there is his year with the Falcons. He went there expecting to coach Michael Vick, but that didn't happen and the season was a disaster. Yes, he probably should have told the team in person he was leaving, but I don't blame him for actually taking the Arkansas job.

Was he underhanded in moving up the coaching ladder? Probably. But that hardly makes him unique in his profession.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.