Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15 - Bobby Petrino FIRED

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Re: Arkansas Calls Press Conference for 7:15

Wow. That little episode is gonna cost him millions. Hope it was worth it. I suppose he will be an assistant somewhere outside the SEC, or maybe an assistant in the NFL. Either way, it is a big step back for a guy that had everything going his way. I agree with others on here; he possibly could have survived except for two things: getting involved with a direct report and lying to the AD. Either one is grounds for dismissal.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

I think the Arkansas AD did the right thing by firing Petrino. Petrino's credibility was probably shot after this and would not function very well as head coach going forward.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I think the Arkansas AD did the right thing by firing Petrino. Petrino's credibility was probably shot after this and would not function very well as head coach going forward.
Exactly.

They will not be better for this in 2012, but will be better off in the long run. Tough call, especially for Tyler Wilson. Bet he wishes he could go pro now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I still think they could be a good team if they just keep the staff intact. They just need an interim coach to get the team as currently constructed and coached through 2012 and they can worry about the longterm in November and December 2012.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Bama Reb said:
Bobby Petrino, for all his personal faults, is still an excellent football coach. A school like Arky can hardly afford to dismiss him because they'll have an extremely hard time finding another coach of his caliber. That's especially true at this time of the year. Most coaches already have made their respective commitments so there aren't too many sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.
That said, I think CBP will have to agree to some type of penance for his actions. It may come in the form of a public apology alongside losing a portion of his salary for a given amount of time, but in the end I think he'll keep his job.
Not the first time I've been wrong, and probably won't be the last. That's why I don't gamble.
You can bet on one thing though, and that is that Bobby Petrino won't be out of a job for very long.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I think they'll just go with the guy who is already serving as the interim coach. There aren't any unemployed big names out there right now that don't have major baggage (Jim Tressel, Butch Davis), so just get through this year and start seriously looking next fall.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Not the first time I've been wrong, and probably won't be the last. That's why I don't gamble.
You can bet on one thing though, and that is that Bobby Petrino won't be out of a job for very long.
Me too, it really shocks me that somebody had the cajones to do the right thing. Wrong again.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Tressell has a show-cause sanction on him by the NCAA. Butch Davis isn't exactly a terrible hire if they are damned and determined to hire their longterm head coach in April.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

IIRC Davis is an Arkansas grad and big buddies with Jerry Jones another Arky's grad. kind of an iffy hire based on his track record.

Giant Squid

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2006

Wow, he picked his mistress for a job with 159 candidates and also gave her $20,000.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007

Good for Arky. I have a lot of respect for them, they did the right thing. Integrity is needed more in the work place these days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.