*** QB Cooper Bateman Commits to Alabama *** (See Page 18)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: QB Cooper Bateman Updates

Auburn won the national title less than 24 months ago. Bateman has actually heard of them. Especially since he took a visit there. And that BCS title, dirty or not, is still theirs and makes them relevant.
I know it was with sarcasm and I think we have all heard the stories or spread the story of where some people did not know of *U or they are located in the state of Alabama. A guy who I played high school ball with who played for Pat Dye at *U told me they went to a bowl game one year and a lot of people he talked to did not know what state *U was from. I understand most people know they won a NC recently and they are in the SEC

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Andrew Bone had a premium recruiting chat tonight, and in response to a couple of questions about Cooper Bateman, he said Bama's chances were "very high" and he expected us to land his commitment when he visits.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

That said, Bateman is looking to decide before then, so I'm not sure how much that will count. I still like our chances here and I am encouraged that he is returning to Tuscaloosa later this summer, but for the most part the kid sounds like a toss-up to me.
With what BOL mods and Andrew Bone is saying, I'll be shocked if he doesn't commit to Alabama in June.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Most 'Bama people seem to be very optimistic here, but we'll see. The return trip to T'town is seemingly giving a lot of people confidence that the deal will be sealed then.

The distance factor is still my biggest concern, for what it's worth. Even if he commits to us in June, it's still six months from NSD and two thousand miles to Tuscaloosa.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Most 'Bama people seem to be very optimistic here, but we'll see. The return trip to T'town is seemingly giving a lot of people confidence that the deal will be sealed then.

The distance factor is still my biggest concern, for what it's worth. Even if he commits to us in June, it's still six months from NSD and two thousand miles to Tuscaloosa.
We saw this past class what distance will do to players. Not saying Bateman is Kiel, but just look at how Kiel backed out from his commitment to LSU because of the distance.

BamaBriar

Scout Team
Mar 24, 2011

Don't think distance was a factor in Keil backing out of his commitment to Indiana and I understand that the reason he backed out of his commitment to LSU wasn't distance, he just didn't have the chest to play at LSU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Don't think distance was a factor in Keil backing out of his commitment to Indiana and I understand that the reason he backed out of his commitment to LSU wasn't distance, he just didn't have the chest to play at LSU.
I hope distance isn't why Gunner backed out of his Indiana commitment since he lived very close to IU.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I agree distance could play a factor with Bateman. Utah is three times as far away as Indiana (Kiel). Driving time averaging 70mph for 10 hours/day it is a three day drive from Utah to Tuscaloosa. Bateman's parents may have enough $ to fly out for games and to send him home every once in while but this has to be a big consideration for him and his family. Hopefully playing for championships and playing in the NFL will outweigh this negative.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

These are some highlights of Bateman that are a little better video quality than the ones on Youtube. It should already be on the video, but if not, it's the one titled Cooper Bateman.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/videos/_/id/140417/cooper-bateman
Im not a qb expert but his drop backs seemed a bit eratic to me. He seemed to give away the passing level based on how far he dropped back, is that normal? or something he'll have to work on? seems a few times when passing deep, he did a four step drop out of the shotgun which seemed to put him out of the protection of his o line. two step drop seemed to go with intermediate passes, and of course no drop back for the quick designed routes.

He does seem to have a good arm and good movement as a runner. I hope we land him.

DWiser

1st Team
Sep 21, 2003
Columbus, MS

According to Michael Casagrande (the Daily Bama Blog), Cooper Bateman has committed to Alabama! Hope this is legit! RTR

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Big pick-up for now, he's the caliber of QB we've been searching for. On the downside, he's still 2,000 miles from Tuscaloosa and it's still almost eight months to National Signing Day, and as I've said we're going to have to keep fighting to hang onto this one. Can't be complacent here.

We're going to take another QB with him -- both because we need another for depth and for concerns over distance with Bateman -- and it will be interesting to see what direction we go in. Ferguson might be it if he has a strong showing in camp, but we'll see.

If we can hang onto this one, he'll be one of the biggest additions of all. We're going to put together a great class regardless, but adding a high-end guy at arguably the biggest need (and, incidentally, the most important) position on the roster can't be overstated.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

A few things after letting this settle and calm down after reading the news...

1. Wasn't he supposed to throw in front of Saban and Nuss before committing?
2. Love that he's enrolling early. While we'll have to fight for him like BET says, it's less time. And that Spring camp will go a long ways.
3. Like BET, I'm interested in seeing who the second QB will be.
4. Should we expect any other guys committing after this news?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.