Which rule(s) don't you like?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
We were talking around the lunch table about rules that were ridiculous (i.e., the personal foul called on LSU on Auburn's PAT attempt on saturday). What rules don't you like - don't make sense, makes the game ridiculous, etc.?

Boclive

All-American
Sep 6, 2002
I think I am the only person

that really dislikes college football overtime rules.

Alternating turns from INSIDE the red zone.

Sucks to be me.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I like the overtime format (equal chance at with the football), but wish they would move the start position out of FG range--say the 35 or 40.

I don't like the celebration calls after an emotional battle where the players are just celebrating with each, not taunting. Case in point is our interception during the Arkansas game last year or a team getting a go ahead TD in the last minute. The zebras penalize them for excessive celebrating (come on, most of them are teenagers!) and then the opponents start at the 40 or better after the penalized kickoff. I just wish they would let them off the hook if the teams are playing an emotional, heated contest. Of course, if the players were rolling on the field for a loooooong time, then penalized them. Okay, I am rambling. Next...

rolltide92276

1st Team
Jan 8, 2002
Hueytown, Alabama, U.S.A.
In high school I don't like it that you return a kickoff if the ball goes into the end zone. I know most high school kickers can't kick it that far but a kickoff return is one of the most exciting parts of a game.

In college I agree w/ Bama Flum about the excessive celebration penalty. Sometimes it is necessary but most of the time officials are too quick to throw the laundry IMO. I also wish they would not have taken out the halo violation on punt reutrns. I don't know why they did and I'm afraid somebosy is going to get clobbered one day and be seriously injured.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Can't stand the unsportsmanlike penalty for a

celebration! I am all for NOT TAUNTING, but frankly if a player is happy and jumps up and down and looks at the crowd that's not taunting anybody.

I will give the refs credit for that rule this year as they've said that it won't be called unless it seems choreographed or involves multiple players.

I also wish the overtime rules were changed to place the ball at midfield or the 40 at it's closest. It would likey cut way down on the number of overtimes and put a premium on coaching decisions if your end a drive with a 4th and 5 or 6 from the 34 or 35 yard line! What do you do...risk turning the ball over with no points by going for it or try a very low percentage field goal from 52 or 53 yards? As it now stands, unless you get a holding penalty at least three points is almost a given and as we've seen touchdowns aren't a rarity!

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
I think that the most unfair rules in the book are the inadvertent whistle rules, but I really don't know how you can go about changing them.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I have to agree with a couple of y'all. I do not like the unsportsmanlike foul for celebration. Granted, if it takes forever or taunting is involved, it should be flagged. But dang, these are kids and they are going to be pumped up when they score - shouldn't they be able to celebrate?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I do not like the overtime rule in college ball that forces a team to attempt the 2 point conversion after the 2nd overtime. Special teams is a very important part of football and it is completely removed from the contest after the 2nd overtime, taking a potential advantage away from a team with better special teams...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.