Breaking News: Penn State Will Remove Joe Paterno Statue

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
. I think it is a good chance that Joe Pa deteriorated faster because of his conscience. Yes I am over philosophical sometimes, but he sure went down the hill quickly after this broke.
I do think his death was a form of suicide. Not suicide in the classic sense, but I feel he gave up after he lost his team. He hung on longer then he should (he had a number of health issues) just because that was his whole life and was in a race with Bowden to get the record. He was diagnosed with cancer after he got fired. I have known people who died quickly after being diagnosed who were much younger than Paterno, but he may have just given up on life as he had nothing to live for and did not want to to live to see his name and legacy tarnished.

I wish he had been in good health so he could have seen all that came out about him.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I do think his death was a form of suicide. Not suicide in the classic sense, but I feel he gave up after he lost his team.
I just put this section of your statement.....which is how I feel but you conveyed well.. No trying to make sorrow for Joe Pa, but prisoner's of was in Korea would just lay down and allow themselves to die after being broken. It works both way of course. I had two uncles with the same cancer, the one that said "To heck with this, I heading to the golf course" lived, the other one that had the least zest for life died.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I can't believe you are comparing a 5th Century historical figure with a football coach who covered up for a child molester. I have no idea why you are defending him. I hope he did deteriorate faster because of his guilt. He deserved to spend time in a prison.
What's that saying...when in a hole at least quit digging.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'll add that Attila the Hun had absolutely nothing to do with the Great Wall of China being built 2,000+ miles away from his furthest excursion to the East and 800+/- years before his birth. Hun. It's where Hungary gets its name. That's a long way from China. Was he a bad dude? Yes. But what does that have to do with price of rice in China? Nothing. And nothing to do with Paterno either.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Please drop that I mentioned storing the statue. Maybe non the Hun, but the Chinese did if fact build a wall to keep a northern ethnic group out of the territory. The same one that Atilla belongs too.

Keeping it or destroying is what is peanuts. The man destroyed his name, why keep bringing back up what to do with the statue? I have nicely tried to end that twice lol. It was just a flippant remark, not important.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It was just a flippant remark, not important.
I think part of the issue, is how far some people went in defending Joe Paterno. People are sensitive at this point because the lines are so clearly marked. On one hand you have a guy who shielded a child predator, and on the other hand you have victims who had no justice in any form for decades.

So, if you seem like you are doing anything that is defending Joe Paterno at all, people won't take kindly to that point of view. For instance one poster who kept defending Paterno in the last topic on the matter hasn't shown up here as far as I can tell. He won't come here and own up to being wrong, so anyone who even seems like they might be standing up for Paterno is probably going to catch the backlash intended for true apologists. Not trying to criticize you, just saying be mindful of the optics.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I think part of the issue, is how far some people went in defending Joe Paterno. People are sensitive at this point because the lines are so clearly marked. On one hand you have a guy who shielded a child predator, and on the other hand you have victims who had no justice in any form for decades.

So, if you seem like you are doing anything that is defending Joe Paterno at all, people won't take kindly to that point of view. For instance one poster who kept defending Paterno in the last topic on the matter hasn't shown up here as far as I can tell. He won't come here and own up to being wrong, so anyone who even seems like they might be standing up for Paterno is probably going to catch the backlash intended for true apologists. Not trying to criticize you, just saying be mindful of the optics.
I assume this is directed at me. If so ...

Yes, I was initially wrong about Paterno, and I have no problem admitting it. I had a lot of respect for him, and have lost it. If you need me to own up (again) to being wrong, there it is.

Again, like I said in the last topic I have had enough experiences being wrong about people to know it can go both ways. That includes being convinced that someone was guilty when they were not, and being convinced that someone was not guilty when they were. My obviously failed attempt at indicating Paterno may have had the same blinders about Sandusky, and just did not believe the reports which may have been few and scattered over decades just did not go over well. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

I've stayed out of this one due to the very optics you were warning to be mindful of.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Wow, has this thread started to go off the rails............

In my usual idiom, I'll do what I can to finish pushing it completely off the rails.

"It's the Attila the Hun Show."

Warning: contains gratuitous advert, for the guy who does the theme song, and enough offensive humor to offend everyone.

And now for something completely different...............back to bashing Joe Paterno.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wow, has this thread started to go off the rails............

In my usual idiom, I'll do what I can to finish pushing it completely off the rails.

"It's the Attila the Hun Show."

Warning: contains gratuitous advert, for the guy who does the theme song, and enough offensive humor to offend everyone.

And now for something completely different...............back to bashing Joe Paterno.
I think we are the only place in the nation discussing the destruction of the statue.......I just had a continuation assumption and made the quip, and there she goes. It's irrelevant imo, a non story. I should run for president, I create the issue's!

And love that Monty Python.

I give my word that I have no more comments on what to do with the statue. I am relieving myself from that burden.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
One of the more bizarre side aspects of what went on was the ice cream named after Sandusky.

The Penn State Creamery has removed the "Sandusky Blitz" ice cream flavor, named after former PSU assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, from its shelves and online menu, the Daily Collegian first reported yesterday.
Prior to the flavor's removal from the creamery website, The Big Lead got a screen grab of the ingredients. Sandusky Blitz was described as a "banana-flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl."
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_creamery_pulls_jerr.html

A banana flavored ice cream named Sandusky. What a coincidence, or they really must have an odd sense of humor there.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've always thought if a particular topic is one someone thinks has been talked about too much...continually bumping the thread fussing about too much discussion of the topic is counter-productive. Just a suggestion...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Every time I think Jay Paterno cannot possibly be a bigger schmuck, he moves the bar.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ealed-court-documents-20160712-htmlstory.html
I'm certain Jay Paterno would really hate to see the statue melted down. He really is a piece of work. He seems determined to continue to join the national discussion every time the scandal is mentioned in the media, as if he has resolved he will have the last word on the topic no matter what.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm certain Jay Paterno would really hate to see the statue melted down. He really is a piece of work.
Well, he's a piece of something for sure.....

He seems determined to continue to join the national discussion every time the scandal is mentioned in the media, as if he has resolved he will have the last word on the topic no matter what.
I think when he goes into his "I know more than you" taunting drill, some reporter ought to verbally level him with, "You know, if your Dad would have fought as hard for those children as you are for him, we'd all be much better off for it."

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I'm certain Jay Paterno would really hate to see the statue melted down. He really is a piece of work. He seems determined to continue to join the national discussion every time the scandal is mentioned in the media, as if he has resolved he will have the last word on the topic no matter what.
Let Jay move to an unincorporated part of Centre County, PA and give the statue to him. He can put in in his front yard and stay up every night guarding it from people that want to deface it.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, we are the mindless mob. You stand for truth and justice.
Still a classic in my book. The mod rules, Dio and Viv

There is only so much of this topic that I can take without a little relief. Be it The Hun or Dio. It was sad situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.