Breaking News: Penn State Will Remove Joe Paterno Statue

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Welcome to Psychology 101.

See those shirts? Some get the same reaction as others do to the rebel flag and Confederate Army. And they are wearing them like a rebel flag.

Extreme vs extreme with Joe Pa imo

I believe Penn State should be able to honor who they choose. And if people leave them alone, they will stop being defensive and do the right thing. Remember the man but in a silent manner.

I do not care what anyone outside of the family told me about Coach Bryant today to tarnish him. I would always see the good, then the bad. It's ingrained in my DNA. The more I heard to to just remember the bad, the more I would resist to not remember the good. Psychology 101. And the press feeds this divisiveness with a lot of "He may have known" " There is speculation that Paterno" Do research and always try to be objective and understand human nature.

If we do that, we will live in a better world. It is hard to tell someone that their mother is a bad person and you should believe it because they say so. You will believe you know your mother better than they do. If she was bad and you leave them alone.....they will see the light.

The media likes to release our anger by giving us a punching bag. Controlled aggression. compassion and reconciliation is much better.
That has literally worked with every single injustice throughout time. Just be silent and people will see the error of their ways. /blue font

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sabanizer, (and everyone else) read this:

http://theundefeated.com/features/penn-state-doesnt-get-to-decide-joe-paternos-legacy/

Read it and then sit and think about it for a while. If you have a soul at all, you will probably find yourself thinking about for a long time after, in horror.

These people are disgustingly sick and they have no clue about it. I've said it before and I will say it again. God forbid anything like this ever comes out about any of the Alabama legends we all love, especially any that are currently still a part of the program. I would disassociate myself entirely from the program if our people acted this way about it. That statue needs to be melted. Anything about Paterno that's on anything needs to be torn down and renamed.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the shirt had just been in support of Paterno I could have lived with it. A little demented but whatever. But to claim Sandusky is innocent is just insulting to his victims.

And I wish they would stop calling this a sex scandal. He did not have sex with those boys as sex requires consent. He raped them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If the shirt had just been in support of Paterno I could have lived with it. A little demented but whatever. But to claim Sandusky is innocent is just insulting to his victims.

And I wish they would stop calling this a sex scandal. He did not have sex with those boys as sex requires consent. He raped them.

Well, to hear the story told.....Paterno was framed and.....

a false narrative in the Jerry Sandusky story, which effectively framed Joe Paterno for crimes he obviously didn't commit and of which he may have had extremely limited knowledge (assuming they even happened, which the evidence now strongly suggests they did not).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

a false narrative in the Jerry Sandusky story, which effectively framed Joe Paterno for crimes he obviously didn't commit and of which he may have had extremely limited knowledge (assuming they even happened, which the evidence now strongly suggests they did not).
I do think Paterno knew his buddy was up to no good. I just meant if all the shirts had was what was on the front, I'd just brush them off as two more Joe Pa apologists. It is the back that makes them truly disgusting.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I will always say that I hope they lose every game they play. I used to hold Penn State in high regard, but it has truly changed for me the past few years because of this.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
After they had that awful Paterno tribute at the game the victims ought to sue for another round of emotional distress.

People who are non-repentant child molester supporters are hard to tolerate.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Nothing will ever change my mind about that school unless they completely divorce themselves from the Paterno name and legacy. Anyone that supports that man is saying they care more about a game then sexual abuse and that is disgraceful. Same goes for Briles his supporters at Baylor. I can't even pull myself to watch a Penn State game, haven't watched one since the news broke 4 years ago. I tried to watch some of the Baylor game last week but, changed the channel after five minutes. It just makes my blood boil to see people cheering those teams on and I can't watch.

I would love to ask every single Paterno fan begging for the return of the statue if they "would be showing the same kind of support if it was there kid who was abused". If their answer is "no" then how can they continue to support this man knowing it was someone's kid, or is their heart really that small. May God have mercy on their soul if their answer is "yes".

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

these idiots interviewed Sandusky and have concluded him to be innocent or not as guilty as the media says?

I used to pull for Penn State. I respected them. I get sick to my stomach when I see them play now.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Nothing will ever change my mind about that school unless they completely divorce themselves from the Paterno name and legacy. Anyone that supports that man is saying they care more about a game then sexual abuse and that is disgraceful. Same goes for Briles his supporters at Baylor. I can't even pull myself to watch a Penn State game, haven't watched one since the news broke 4 years ago. I tried to watch some of the Baylor game last week but, changed the channel after five minutes. It just makes my blood boil to see people cheering those teams on and I can't watch.

I would love to ask every single Paterno fan begging for the return of the statue if they "would be showing the same kind of support if it was there kid who was abused". If their answer is "no" then how can they continue to support this man knowing it was someone's kid, or is their heart really that small. May God have mercy on their soul if their answer is "yes".
Keep in mind that the coaches and players at PSU now had nothing to do with what happened under Paterno. The fans had nothing to do with it. You and I certainly knew nothing about it until a few years ago when the story broke. The mentality of no forgiveness forever reminds me of the NCAA punishing players, coaches and fans with probation years after the fact, instead of allowing the school to clean house with coaches and administrators who were or might have been involved. All of us Alabama fans know that horrible feeling and should not wish that on other schools and fans. Paterno and Sandusky are gone, as well as the school president and other administrators who knew what Sandusky was doing. I feel like their fans have suffered enough pain for the sins of others. Every PSU fan I've met was a genuinely nice person. You are welcome to disagree, but that's just my two cents worth, FWIW.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Keep in mind that the coaches and players at PSU now had nothing to do with what happened under Paterno. The fans had nothing to do with it. You and I certainly knew nothing about it until a few years ago when the story broke. The mentality of no forgiveness forever reminds me of the NCAA punishing players, coaches and fans with probation years after the fact, instead of allowing the school to clean house with coaches and administrators who were or might have been involved. All of us Alabama fans know that horrible feeling and should not wish that on other schools and fans. Paterno and Sandusky are gone, as well as the school president and other administrators who knew what Sandusky was doing. I feel like their fans have suffered enough pain for the sins of others. Every PSU fan I've met was a genuinely nice person. You are welcome to disagree, but that's just my two cents worth, FWIW.
I imagine a lot more people would be prone to forgive the Penn State fans if they would quit pretending nothing wrong happened. They ought to be ashamed of Paterno, not honoring him at halftime.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am for freedom of speech and assembly to a point, and this is within my acceptance. I just turn it off, do not watch, does not effect me. I am not condoning the perpetrators. The crimes are over and they have stopped, that would bother me.

That fan with the shirt and a person wearing a confederate flag are similar imo. I have never demanded someone not express that flag. Just my libertarian views.

My earlier point is that if it didn't rattle so many feathers you might see less of it. Maybe

Last edited:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I imagine a lot more people would be prone to forgive the Penn State fans if they would quit pretending nothing wrong happened. They ought to be ashamed of Paterno, not honoring him at halftime.
I think the main problem is nobody really knows how much Paterno knew. He said he turned the information he had over to his superiors and left the ball in their court. But I may have misunderstood what I've read and what I've been told. Had I been the head coach at PSU, I feel confident that I would have fired Sandusky immediately upon hearing and verifying McQueary's story. But I haven't spent a lot of time reading the entire story because it's such a sickening topic, and I'm not sure we will ever know everything that happened anyway. It's usually easy to judge somebody else if you've never walked in their shoes, but I don't think I would be honoring CJP as a PSU fan at this point. Penn State needs to just put Paterno behind them unless evidence is introduced that totally clears his name in the matter. My point is the fans still love their school and football team, and you can't blame them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am for freedom of speech and assembly to a point, and this is within my acceptance. I just turn it off, do not watch, does not effect me. I am not condoning the perpetrators.

That fan with the shirt and a person wearing a confederate flag are similar imo. I have never demanded someone not express that flag. Just my libertarian views.

My earlier point is that if it didn't rattle so many feathers you might see less of it. Maybe
I respectfully disagree. The confederate flag means a myriad of things. From it's creation during the Civil War, to it's use during the Civil Rights era, in pop culture such as the Dukes of Hazzard, and the list can go on and on. It can be seen as respulsive, devisive, or even inspiring.

Because even if you distill the Confederate flag down to the Civil War, it can be seen as anything from the noble pursuit of self-determination to the deplorable institution of slavery.

But these shirts are trivializing child rape. Rape. Of children. Did you read the article I linked? Yes I'm for freedom of speech. I'm not calling for these buffoons to be arrested. But I am for calling them out for what they are. And I'm not for allowing it to be compared to anything other than what it is.

Edited to add: In other words, something like the confederate flag is a complex issue. Things like these shirts are not complex at all.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I respectfully disagree. The confederate flag means a myriad of things. From it's creation during the Civil War, to it's use during the Civil Rights era, in pop culture such as the Dukes of Hazzard, and the list can go on and on. It can be seen as respulsive, devisive, or even inspiring.

Because even if you distill the Confederate flag down to the Civil War, it can be seen as anything from the noble pursuit of self-determination to the deplorable institution of slavery.

But these shirts are trivializing child rape. Rape. Of children. Did you read the article I linked? Yes I'm for freedom of speech. I'm not calling for these buffoons to be arrested. But I am for calling them out for what they are. And I'm not for allowing it to be compared to anything other than what it is.
I am son of the revolution and Confederate war. Thew only thing I am ashamed of is my ggg something General Glasscock that led the Indians through Alabama for Jackson. I am a true southerner and proud of it, family since 1642. Virginia to Tennessee to Alabama.

My comparison is the fan wearing a joe pa shirt. Joe Pa was a myriad of things too. And Alabama22 expressed some things I too believe, but conveyed better than me. They honored Joe not the sick hole sandusky. I am sure he is banished from the books.

And the truth is there are many people that get the same feeling you do looking at those bufoons as they do the Confederate flag, they see one thing.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Living in this part of the country, I know plenty of PSU grads. Most are as disgusted as we are about what happened. But even they have a hard time believing that the man who they held in such high esteem could have been this evil. They do believe it, but have a hard time wrapping their minds around it. Most just want to move on. They don't want to even think about paterno or the events that took place during his tenure. They certainly do not celebrate paterno any more. They are looking forward. For them, I hold no ill feelings.

But for those who continue to respect and revere paterno in spite of the mountain of evidence proving his guilt, I am disgusted. And for the school - it should have been shut down.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am son of the revolution and Confederate war. Thew only thing I am ashamed of is my ggg something General Glasscock that led the Indians through Alabama for Jackson. I am a true southerner and proud of it, family since 1642. Virginia to Tennessee to Alabama.

My comparison is the fan wearing a joe pa shirt. Joe Pa was a myriad of things too. And Alabama22 expressed some things I too believe, but conveyed better than me. They honored Joe not the sick hole sandusky. I am sure he is banished from the books.

And the truth is there are many people that get the same feeling you do looking at those bufoons as they do the Confederate flag, they see one thing.
I had a lot typed up in response, but it's just not worth it.

We must agree to disagree. Peace to you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.