Question: Opinions on minimum wage

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There is talk again about possibly raising it

1. Should there be one?
2. If so how much? (currently $7.25/hr)
3. Should it be tied to age (should teenage PT workers get less?)

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
I don't really care if there is one but it needs to be much lower. The only people who should be working for minimum wage are people with no work experience. Someone learning work ethic shouldn't be making $7.25/hr. I know that's not a lot of money but it's a lot to pay someone who has no clue what he/she is doing.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
It's one of the big reasons why kids can't find jobs these days. But if you made that argument to Pelosi back when they raised it you were a evil poor-person-hater.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
It's one of the big reasons why kids can't find jobs these days. But if you made that argument to Pelosi back when they raised it you were a evil poor-person-hater.
I actually had this discussion with a young girl who was moving back home to get financial aid situation taken care of. She said she couldn't find a job because she didn't have any experience. I was surprised she actually agreed with me about minimum wage being too high to pay someone who didn't have any experience.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well, ya'll know what my position is. I reserve the right to comment later. Don't be bashful Swoop jump right in;)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It certainly doesn't need to be raised, and I don't think there should be one, either. IMO, all it does is say where the poverty line is and devalue the wages of others. If they set it at $9, then $9 is going to end up with the same purchasing power as $7.50. If its $50, then $50 will be the new baseline purchasing power. And anyone who makes over that now actually has less purchasing power than they did before, because their wages are unlikely to increase just because minimum wage went up. Just my 2c :)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Yep, your minimum wage is definitely empowering workers in China, India, etc. with jobs.
Look If I say anything Swoop will produce some weird video of Obama lying. Banjeaux will put his new found toy-- the bovine excrement meter on the screen. You will try to out- intelligent me to my ruin. :)

But how low would wages here have to go before the big boys stopped going to China, India, etc?

I cower as I await your answer:)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ya'll might find this interesting:

From the US Dept of Labor
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

[HR][/HR] Question: Must young workers be paid the minimum wage?
Answer: The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. However, a special minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies to employees under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. After 90 days, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires employers to pay the full federal minimum wage.
Other programs that allow for payment of less than the full federal minimum wage apply to workers with disabilities, full-time students, and student-learners employed pursuant to sub-minimum wage certificates. These programs are not limited to the employment of young workers.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Look If I say anything Swoop will produce some weird video of Obama lying. Banjeaux will put his new found toy-- the bovine excrement meter on the screen. You will try to out- intelligent me to my ruin. :)

But how low would wages here have to go before the big boys stopped going to China, India, etc?

Sounds like someone needs a hug. Maybe you should visit a Chick-Fil-A. :)

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA

What was so weird about the videos I produced with Obama telling lies? It seems to me it is pretty common for him. You keep bringing it up and you'll make me think you want to see more. ;)

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
http://www.ehow.com/info_7979747_minimum-wage-waiters.html

Tipped employees are not paid the minimum wage by their employer. They pay their own taxs on their tips. ... Mmm..
However, if a tipped employee does not meet or exceed minimum wage from their tips, the employer must compensate them for the difference. It is also easier to avoid taxes on cash tips because it simply goes unreported and straight into their pockets at the end of the night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.