Poll: Which SEC West coaches will not be here in 2013?

Which coach will not be at his current school in 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Which of the coaches do you think is beginning their last season at their school? They could leave through being fired, retirement or moving to another job.

Last edited:

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
John L. Smith and Les Miles. It's pretty much expected the Smith is just a fill in after Petrino-gate and I think LSU is done. Every team that Alabama has beaten on the "big stage" has faltered badly. (Texas, UGA, UF, Clemson, VT)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I forgot to add a "None of the above" option for the poll, I guess there is no way to add it now?

I voted for Smith. I considered Chizik, but I think he'll survive unless they go 3-9 or something like that.

gmoney

1st Team
Apr 12, 2009
decatur,al
cheezee dip will survive for another year or two, the title will get him that far, and hopefully longer because it is so much fun watching them spiral downward

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
cheezee dip will survive for another year or two, the title will get him that far, and hopefully longer because it is so much fun watching them spiral downward
He will fire some more assistants after this season, or possibly during the season, that will buy him 1 more year and then you can say good bye cheezedip. Mark it down!

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
JLS is easily the favorite.

All the others will be at their jobs unless they go 0-12 or choose to leave for another job.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
John L. Smith is easily the favorite to not be there in 2013.

With the way last season ended, Ole Les can't be comfortable around Louisnana right now. So it wouldn't surprise me that if LSU isn't playing for the National Championship this year, LSU might encourgae Les to persue another job. Not a given, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Cheese Doodle only gets canned if the Tigers get embarrassed this year. I mean "short shorts" type embarrassment on and off the field. I don't see (nor want) Cheese doodle going anywhere, cause Bama should have their way with Auburn for as long as want to.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
If that's the case, I hope Cheeze Dip stays at the Barn a long time, but I agree that it seems like it is inevitable for Petrino to go there one day. It's like they deserve each other.
If Auburn has another lackluster year, the NC is not going to get him another year imo. Chizic is pretty much recognized as the team manager and psychologist for 2010. He kept a not very close team with a decades best QB from self destructing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I chose Smith as an obvious one.

Commentary on the others

Saban - only if he retires, which don't think he's close to doing

Frazee - not after just one season

Sumlin - ditto

That leaves us three guys to consider:

1) Miles - the catch with Miles is that the whole of LSU would love to fire him for no other reason than he's not Saban.
The problem with saying he's leaving is that I don't see him going to the NFL, and how many jobs are UP from LSU
besides us? He's not going to the Big Ten unless it's UM, he's not going to the ACC. In fact, he's not going
anywhere VOLUNTARILY.

Now....if the team has residual hangover from last year and gets off to a 2000 Alabama start and never recovers, it
is a miniscule possibility.

This is a unique situation because:
a) he has nowhere to go
b) they have nobody better to replace him.

2) Chizik - I think the national title bought him at least one year beyond this - and that's assuming this year does
turn out to be a total disaster (which everyone predicts every year and never has been). So I think he's safe but
the seat will get hot if this year is bad.

3) Mullen - I think Dan Mullen will be gone (greater than 80% chance) for the following reasons:

a) It is NOT impossible that State could be 7-0 going into their game with us. In fact, if this was the State team
from 2010, you could probably take it to the bank. The only two teams of consequence they play prior to
us are UT and Auburn (and even that's debated), both at home.
b) That means that even a CLOSE loss to us will raise his stock considerably
c) The loss of Bobby Petrino changes the calculus considerably as well
d) State has TWO tough road games, us and LSU. Everything else is (to various degrees) winnable. They don't
play Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina.

It is NOT improbable that State COULD go 10-2. I don't think they will because it's just not done there. But if
he does then he is going to be in better shape than ever to cash in and name his choice of whatever jobs are
open.

(Let me add - this might be the one scenario where LSU would fire Miles - if they could get Mullen after a 10-2 year
at MSU).

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Petrino to API, that's sounds possible.

They will hook him up with a sweet young thing.
Two or four legged variety? ;)

Seriously, I think Cheezy's future may well depend on how we do this season. If we repeat, there could be widespread panic in hooterville. Especially if we take them behind the woodshed again.

A woodshed job might be enough by itself considering how paranoid those clods are about all things Bama.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
John L. Smith and Les Miles. It's pretty much expected the Smith is just a fill in after Petrino-gate and I think LSU is done. Every team that Alabama has beaten on the "big stage" has faltered badly. (Texas, UGA, UF, Clemson, VT)
Excellent point. Back in 1992, the same thing happened with Miami. Took them quite a few years to resuscitate themselves.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
a) It is NOT impossible that State could be 7-0 going into their game with us. In fact, if this was the State team
from 2010, you could probably take it to the bank. The only two teams of consequence they play prior to
us are UT and Auburn (and even that's debated), both at home.
<snip>
It is NOT improbable that State COULD go 10-2. I don't think they will because it's just not done there. But if
he does then he is going to be in better shape than ever to cash in and name his choice of whatever jobs are
open.

(Let me add - this might be the one scenario where LSU would fire Miles - if they could get Mullen after a 10-2 year
at MSU).
One of my great friends is a die-hard MSU alum & fan. He said exactly what you said when I asked him in May about his MSU forecast. His precise words: "We could be the worst 7-0 team in the country...and may not win many more after that."

I'd love for Mullen to go to LSU or UF, as I'm just not convinced that he's all that as a coach. He has beaten the following SEC teams while MSU is supposedly on this massive upswing: Ole Miss (who hasn't? Nutt retired a few years back; he just didn't leave Ole Miss for a couple of years after)...Vandy. [list ends] He runs his mouth a lot & has that cute Franchione-esque thing about not naming their rival. He also has the Barn-esque thing going about the entire season being eval'd on whether they beat said rival. So, the last couple of years have been wildly successful in the eyes of the local Dawg faithful. (not even kidding, nor exaggerating...I've heard this said!)

Note: Mullen may well prove me wrong & take MSU to another level & start competing with actual good SEC opponents...at that point, I'll be happy that football/coaching prognostication is not how I make my living. ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I want Chizik to stay put.

I want Miles to stay put. If LSU tanks and they get rid of Miles they will offer the moon to CNS. I don't think he'll leave, but I don't want him even tempted by it.

I want Mullen to stay where he's at because I think he might could do some damage at LSU or back at Florida.

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
Smith for obvious reasons. Chizik will be around another year unless he has a mediocre season and gets smashed by us again or goes like 2-10, 3-9, 4-8.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
2015 at the latest, Mullen to Florida and Petrino to Auburn.
I agree with Capstone Tider on this. I said on some thread during the bike/babe incident that au has coveted Petrino since he worked for Tubs. We all know about the night flight to Louisville and that escapade. au will keep Chizik long enough, 2-3 more years until the fallout blows over on Petrino and he will be welcomed back to Lee County like the prodigal son.

UF will give Muschamp also 2-3 more years and then President Machen will go after Mullen in an attempt to recapture the Meyer
golden days. If however UT pulls the plug sooner on Dooley one these two coaches could wind up in Knoxville. Timing will be
every thing for these programs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.