LSU press conference, Les announces Tyrann Mathieu off team

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: LSU press conference, noon today (Aug 10)

So irrelevant you took the time to click the thread title and type out the above post. You might have even read the latest posts, which take up the last page. Yep, he's irrelevant...
You give me gas.....lol, but thanks for your insight!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Well, he could go anywhere and enter the draft. Why wouldn't he drop down to FCS and play this year instead of hanging around LSU? If he's enrolling at LSU, I have to think that he thinks that the rule will be waived and he will be let back on the team. If he is, it will be a huge mistake by Miles and the PTB above him. Too many short-term "celebrity rehabs" have shown how useless they are. It will end up biting them in the butt...
I agree. That rehab was a short one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he cares enough about LSU that the possibility of playing for them again next season acts as sufficient enticement for him to clean up his act, I hope they are dangling it. Of course, there have to be very strict conditions put in place, and constant monitoring.

We have all seen too many lives destroyed by drugs. I hope he finds his way through this somehow.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If he cares enough about LSU that the possibility of playing for them again next season acts as sufficient enticement for him to clean up his act, I hope they are dangling it. Of course, there have to be very strict conditions put in place, and constant monitoring.

We have all seen too many lives destroyed by drugs. I hope he finds his way through this somehow.
You may not have been following this, but LSU has a very strict rule - 3 positive tests and you're off every athletic team for LSU forever. This is not Miles choice and it's not the AD's choice - it's a school rule imposed from the school administration, and, IMO, it's a good one. That is the reason for my post above about the foolishness of modifying the rule for this one player. It wouldn't happen at Bama and I hope it doesn't happen at LSU, either...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You may not have been following this, but LSU has a very strict rule - 3 positive tests and you're off every athletic team for LSU forever. This is not Miles choice and it's not the AD's choice - it's a school rule imposed from the school administration, and, IMO, it's a good one. That is the reason for my post above about the foolishness of modifying the rule for this one player. It wouldn't happen at Bama and I hope it doesn't happen at LSU, either...
Thanks - did not know that. In that case, I am surprised that he has not already been told to move on to another school.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I wonder if this whole thing has been orchestrated after he failed the 3rd test. Miles kicked him off the team so he ends up looking like he has some integrity. Then Mathieu decides to get his life in order by going to rehab. A rather short one I might add. Now Mathieu will get the sympathy vote and Miles will give him a second chance. Both come out looking like great guys. This has been PR spin from the beginning IMO

You know how much this country just loves second chances. They'll change the rule so he can come back and everybody wins. Meanwhile, I wonder if LSU really pulled his scholarship or not.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wonder if this whole thing has been orchestrated after he failed the 3rd test. Miles kicked him off the team so he ends up looking like he has some integrity. Then Mathieu decides to get his life in order by going to rehab. A rather short one I might add. Now Mathieu will get the sympathy vote and Miles will give him a second chance. Both come out looking like great guys. This has been PR spin from the beginning IMO

You know how much this country just loves second chances. They'll change the rule so he can come back and everybody wins. Meanwhile, I wonder if LSU really pulled his scholarship or not.
Again, as I've said over and over, this decision is not Miles' at all and the rule is not Miles' to change. This three failures rule is a school-wide rule imposed from the school administration down. You didn't have to watch more than two minutes of Miles' presser to see that TM's ouster was not something he wanted. The problem is that, if they make an exception of TM, then the rule becomes a joke. My bet is they don't do it, but, if they do it, it will not have been Miles' decision, in the end...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Now Mathieu will get the sympathy vote and Miles will give him a second chance. Both come out looking like great guys. This has been PR spin from the beginning IMO
Go back and re-read this thread. 2nd chance was long ago.

This almost seems like desperation on TM's part. He may have a hard time grasping what he has thrown away. It's sad really, I hope the kid can get his life in order.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Again, as I've said over and over, this decision is not Miles' at all and the rule is not Miles' to change. This three failures rule is a school-wide rule imposed from the school administration down. You didn't have to watch more than two minutes of Miles' presser to see that TM's ouster was not something he wanted. The problem is that, if they make an exception of TM, then the rule becomes a joke. My bet is they don't do it, but, if they do it, it will not have been Miles' decision, in the end...
I completely agree that it's not Miles call, I do think it will happen though, Marketing & Recruiting plot heck ESPN will probably follow him around campus. LSU will look like the hero giving this poor kid another opportunity.

A former player told me that there are a lot of chances & warnings when someone gets caught that in a big time program the university does everything possible to help the kid.

OTOH, a repeat offense after another chance would really put egg on their face.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
It is possible that if he is close to graduating, that he knows a degree from LSU is more valuable than the first FCS school that will let him play football. He may also be smart enough to question his viability as a professional player and to understand the importance of a degree, as well as to be able to say, "I stayed and faced up to my poor decisions". Football may be on the back burner right now.
Just trying to find a positive. His inability to control his herb useage doesn't necessarily mean he has no other rational thought processes. While he shouldn't, and probably won't ever play again at LSU, I pretty much always want to see all these guys turn it around in life. That is something everyone involved could take pride in.
RTR

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Right, if the university makes this exception they no longer have a rule. I just don't think they can afford to do that. We have to remember that just like at Alabama, not everyone involved in a decision like this cares about football.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL

Best of luck to Tyrann. He's just another guy who made some bad decisions and suffered the consequences. It all depends on what he chooses to do. Hopefully he'll choose to clean up and stay that way.

There's really no reason for anyone to hate him or be wishing bad things on him, or even be saying that Les should be run out if he allows him back on the team next year.
Put yourself in Mathieu's shoes and tell me what you think.

Personally I wish him the best of luck in cleaning up and I hope great things come his way.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Best of luck to him. I hope he can get clean and stay that way. He definatley needs to get his act together. Other than that, I don't care.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.