You Make the Call Sept 29

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
At the beginning of overtime, Team Green wins the toss and elects to go on offense. On first down, Team White intercepts a pass, but fumbles and Team Green recovers on the 8 yd line. What should be done?

Hint: Remember, this is high school, not NCAA.

Reactions: wisten

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Wow, two in one week!

I will be honest, I have no idea, but I will guess. I believe that once a TO occurs in OT, the play is dead. You can't return a INT for a TD. INT counts; Fumble does not. White teams ball with only a FG to win.

Just a guess... :confused:

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I'm going to have to guess. Not familiar with Federation rules concerning OT. I will guess that Team Green, even though they regained control of the ball, that they have lost their opportunity to a scoring attempt. It is now White’s turn. So, ball is spotted at the 25yd with White's attempt at a score? (Said that with a lot of confidence, huh?)

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
wisten said:
1st and goal green.. a score ends it.
I agree that it's first and goal green, but I disagree with a score ending it. I believe that it's first and goal green, and then white gets the ball after green's series ends.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
The play is essentially dead when White intercepts the ball. A turnover in OT (high school) ends the series of downs. Therefore in this situation, it is 1st and goal for White at the 10.

A couple of y'all need to remember that in HS, the overtime starts at the opponents 10 yd line. The ball is placed at the 25 in NCAA.

New YMTC will be up Monday...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.