So Based on What You have Seen So Far - How will TXAM and Mizzou fare in SEC?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I think they're both mid-tier right now as others have said and for the same reasons others have mentioned: lack of depth, 4-quarter conditioning, and physicality. They don't yet understand the overriding concept of SEC ("big boy", aka "championship") football: superior well-conditioned physical defense wins championships, physical ball-control offense wears down and exposes inferior defense. They can call it "old man" if they want. Until they grow up, those pups can just keep watching the big boys carry the crystal home. It's not about who can score the fastest with a flashy offense. It's about who can make their opponents quit. Though I think Mizzou is currently more dangerous than TAMU, I think TAMU culturally has a higher short-term (2-4yr) ceiling because they're closer to understanding what they have to be in order to become competitive in this league, while I got the feeling since media days that Mizzou doesn't have a clue. They're like a cocky little know-it-all 14yr old boy who thinks he's got nothing to learn from grown men who've been there, done that. Interestingly, maybe they learned more than TAMU this week - Georgia wore their cocky butts out in the second half and made them quit.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
TAMU, and MO, welcome to the SEC - home of big boy football. When you play here, you better be ready to give it everything you've got, for a full 60 minutes.

BTW, I got a kick out of the MO fans chant yesterday, and decided to take it one step further
The cheerleaders start by yelling "M.I.Z" and the fans yell back "Z.O.U)" but I think they need to finish it off with "(M.O.U.S.E.)" :biggrin2:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I watched the Mizzou first half and thought that they looked OK. But obviously they have a way to go to become an elite SEC team.

Then I saw Arkansas lose. I think the SEC mid-tier is a bit weaker than usual this year. So once you get below Bama/LSU/USCe/GA there is plenty of opportunity for Mizzou and A&M to find themselves some elbow room, at least this year.

Oh, and Mizz needs to fix those uniforms.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
It must just be me but the Mizzou & Jawga game was awful, hard to watch, seemed to last forever. Neither one wanted to win. Penaltities fumbles turnovers just went on & on.

The Gators & Aggies was really physical, they were carting off more gators than The Swamp People.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Both teams showed up ready to play and were jacked up. They both looked good for a half, but that's what we always say about the SEC - you are going to have play for 60 mins. Both teams were held scoreless in the 4th quarter, and once UF and UGA's defenses adjusted after halftime, both of their offenses were shut down. As the schedule rocks on, they'll find out that there are "big games" like this week in, week out. Both coaches kept making the statement of how "big" the games were. These weren't really big games. These were typical SEC conference games, and neither game was against the top teams in the conference.They'll play a lot of "big games" this year.

GA Bamafan

1st Team
Oct 24, 2004
Pell City, AL
I think both will do well long term. There had to be some shock for both teams the way Georgia and Florida played the second half. The old-man style football and the pounding took their toll on both aTm and Mizzou. I see them as mid-tier teams for a few years.

aTm has a tremendous and crazy fan base they will support and do what it takes to be a success in this league. Plus they are no longer restrained by being in the shadow of Texas. This independence will lead to growth.

Mizzou had a lot of support last night. I don't know if that support will continue as they get into the SEC schedule. If it does they will be a competitor. If it wanes, I see them as continual mid-tier with a once in a decade run at being a top level team.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Missouri isnt physical enough to compete in this league in spite of what sheldon richardson thinks. I would say jarvis jones played a great game for an old man. I think with a couple of years to build on texas a/m will be competitive.
Jones should be in the NFL right now. He's a tremendous football player.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah...Missouri will be very beat up by the end of the season. They clearly don't have the necessary talent beyond the 1st string.
Yep, I thought Mizzou would beat UGA because it is early in the season when they are still fresh. Georgia showed their depth and talent in the fourth to blow open a close game. Mizzou and A&M lost their home openers early in the season. That doesn't bode well for their chances down the road.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I think both will do well long term. There had to be some shock for both teams the way Georgia and Florida played the second half. The old-man style football and the pounding took their toll on both aTm and Mizzou. I see them as mid-tier teams for a few years.

aTm has a tremendous and crazy fan base they will support and do what it takes to be a success in this league. Plus they are no longer restrained by being in the shadow of Texas. This independence will lead to growth.

Mizzou had a lot of support last night. I don't know if that support will continue as they get into the SEC schedule. If it does they will be a competitor. If it wanes, I see them as continual mid-tier with a once in a decade run at being a top level team.
Why would TAMU do well now in a tougher league than they've done for the past 20 years? Make no mistake, the Texas shadow still looms large.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
Long-term both schools will be fine, especially TAMU. Depth is their biggest issue. Culturally, though, A&M is a weird cult on par with Auburn, and Mizzou fans at like bros on Jersey Shore. I'm guessing their women don't even wear skirts to the game.
Sorry Prof, but I cant agree that A&M is a cult on par with Auburn. Auburn is very pale in comparison; A&M is truly unique and nobody else wants to be like them. One of the reason I respect them is that they are so good at what they do and could not care less what anybody else thinks about their traditions. That said, I chose not to attend A&M, although I had several chances.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Mizzou has the better chance at early success since they are in the east. But where will they recruit from? The state of Missouri doesn't turn out that many players. They had a bit of a Texas pipleline in recent years, but does that dry up since they won't play in that state as much now? The fanbase will get tired of being in the East and a move to the West with more exspansion will keep them engaged.
TAMU has tons of potential. Will it be realized? Will they be able to get past Alabama and LSU? Not anytime soon. They will be another tough opponent, though. When Saban is gone, they might be primed to make a run.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Jarvis played a great game last night,as did jonathan jenkins as well. I honestly dont think missouri wouldve scored as much as they did last night if we wouldve had all of our starters playing(ogletree,commings,vasser and b.rambo). I am still amazed at the how arrogant missouris players and fans were going into last nights game.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
Because 20 years ago thay had a tough winning program. Reason, because they had a good coach. R.C Slocum was not a great coach but he played a hard nosed defense/ball control type of game and recruited players that could play in this scheme. They will do well in the SEC if they have the right coach...they have everything else. Back in the '90s they beat LSU 5 straight years (mainly because LSU did not have a good coach) and dominated Texas (ditto). Their is nothing mystical about A&Ms lack of high level success over the pas 10-15 years.

CharlestonTide

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 14, 2010
Mizzou is thin and undersized on d-line and QB is going to get hurt if they intend to use him like they did last night against UGA. See them as fourth or fifth best in East. Not physical enough.

TA&M is has a tendency to lose the second half big. It is in their head now and they tighten up. If they can not hold lead against this UF team at home with this much emphasis on game they will have a hard time this year with schedule. They finish in west behind MSU but ahead of AU, Miss and maybe Arky.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Why would TAMU do well now in a tougher league than they've done for the past 20 years? Make no mistake, the Texas shadow still looms large.
Mostly because their recruiting has picked up dramatically since joining the league.last time I looked they had a top 5 class.

unrelated-

I think neither team belongs, but TAMU is ecstatic to be here. different values, different culture, different people. Nothing against them personally.

Maybe, just maybe Mizzou is a secret agent team sent by the other conferences and FOX to infiltrate America's conference and prove to the world the SEC is no better than any other league.:eek2: lifting the veil of invincibility! And foiling ESPN's plan of SEC football domination !!!:rolleyes:
I am so sick and tired of all the discussion everywhere about whether these two will fit in and how they will compete. If they have the right coaches , the right motivation(boosters ,donations, fanbase, leadership) they will be successful, if not they won't! No wonder the rest of the country has SECfatigue . Turn on ESPN and it's all you hear, especially stupid storylines like this over and over and over for months! It's like listening to Gary Danielson broadcast a florida game circa 2009. (TIMTEBOW, TIMTEBOW,TIMTEBOW). Why does college football have to emulate the WWF? Isn't the game itself enough? got that off my chest!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.