So Based on What You have Seen So Far - How will TXAM and Mizzou fare in SEC?

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I couldnt agree with you more bamaga. All we heard about all week coming into this game from the espn gasbags was how great missouri was and how they were going to destroy us in last nights game. We didnt have all of our starters and missouri was going to exploit it. How underrated they were on defense,etc,etc. Just glad we were able to send the missouri faithful home last night with a nice welcome to s.e.c football.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
The trouble with those offenses is that their defenses don't get to go up against a physical offense in practice. As the game wears on, the defenses will take a pounding and wear down. Eventually, they'll be able to recruit to fit the style of play, but they're middle tier right now IMO. I think A&M will be a solid contender sooner than Missouri.
I thought it was kind of funny when that idiot Matt Millen made some comment about Sheldon Richardson being an SEC worthy defensive tackle at 280 lbs. based on his quickness. Sorry Matt, but 280 lbs. is an oversized linebacker/end hybrid in the SEC. I guess his talent evaluation skills are why he's in the booth for ESPN instead of an NFL front office.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
aTm has a tradition of blowing a lead in the second half, they will continue that tradition. Something was wrong with GA can't put my finger on it but Murray looked lost on the sidelines, kinda like JJ did at the BCS game.

The main question I think could go for the fan base & everyone had to be impressed with that, full house loud & proud.

I just hope they both can whoop up on API. Although Mizzou will have to wait.

Last edited:

TexanBammer

All-SEC
Sep 8, 2012
Richardson, TX
TAMU seems to be stuck in 1932.
At least you don't have to be surrounded by them. They're a weird weird bunch.

Personally hoping for Mizzou to do somewhat well. Have made a couple games up there and really enjoyed talking to their fans when I did. A&M can go 0-12 for the rest of eternity for all I care.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Mizzou is going to struggle with depth. Being in the SEC may help recruiting but, realisticly they will be a 7-5/8-4 type team in most seasons.

aTm has the fan base/facilities and recruiting hot bed of Texas to where they can become a top 3 or 4 program in the SEC west. No reason they can't be a consistent 8-10 win program who challenges for the SEC west title.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Why would TAMU do well now in a tougher league than they've done for the past 20 years? Make no mistake, the Texas shadow still looms large.
Living and working amongst aggies has made you hate them, I get it. I never had a real problem with GA fans until I lived in Atlanta and then I came to hate them. So I get that you hate them and refuse to admit they may succeed. But take away your personal bias for a minute and look at it objectively.

They have more money than God and will spend whatever is needed to upgrade facilities and pay coaches. So that's not a problem. Their fans are rabid and the love, admiration and support for players is there and well known. They aren't a new name, everyone knows who TAM is so they aren't out trying to sell a program like Boise State to recruits. They have a cult like atmosphere surrounding the university and their alumni. Meaning that if you want to be in business in the state of Texas if you position yourself as an aggie there are lots of people who will work with you because of it. We that live here hear the commercials all the time for businesses that include the fact that the owner is aggie class of ___ all the time. So finally add the fact that they can offer kids a chance to play on the premiere football conference in America and still go to a Texas school and you have a winning recipe for recruiting. Their recruiting has already seen a huge up swing in quality of player and this is all new to their staff. They will face better competition sure, but they are going to have a much higher class of athletes to do it with.

As much as they've always wanted to believe they were, they weren't ever really in the race for the top high school athletes in Texas. Now they are and will continue to be. I'm not saying they will come in and win the west, but they will do much better than before. Like I told one yesterday, if they can crack the top 4 in the SEC at some point they could win a mnc from there. If you can build a program that's in the top 4 of the SEC then year in and year out all it takes is a favorable schedule, some injury luck, a couple good bounces of the ball and you can be in the national championship game. Not saying that's coming tomorrow, but its more likely than not.

It sucks, I wanted FL to embarrass them yesterday because I wanted to give all the ags I know a big "welcome to the SEC" after a beat down. But that didn't happen. BAMA will destroy them, but the idea that they are at the feet of the rest of us is just not true.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
IMO I think it's too early to tell.

These two teams could have won yesterday and for me - that they each had a valid chance to win - is enough for me to want to "wait and see" before writing them off or giving them an endorsement.

Like FloridaTom I couldn't watch the Mizzou game very long because it seemed very boring. But I did watch all of the aTm game and their freshman QB Manziel has the natural talent and poise to take that team to whatever level is attainable....but he and his team need more seasoning.

It will be very interesting to watch the two teams play in their next conference games.

Especially when they play the reigning national champions....now those two games will be very fun to watch!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can someone please explain why Mizzou hasn't gotten DGB involved as much as you would think a team would want to get that guy involved? Or has he been a disappointment?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Can someone please explain why Mizzou hasn't gotten DGB involved as much as you would think a team would want to get that guy involved? Or has he been a disappointment?
I gather from several comments made by the announcers that he runs crappy routes. They showed some of his HS clips and all of them were basically them throwing a screen pass out to him and letting him out athlete everybody on the field to the endzone. He can do that at this level.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
aTm has a tradition of blowing a lead in the second half, they will continue that tradition. Something was wrong with GA can't put my finger on it but Murray looked lost on the sidelines, kinda like JJ did at the BCS game.

The main question I think could go for the fan base & everyone had to be impressed with that, full house loud & proud.

I just hope they both can whoop up on API. Although Mizzou will have to wait.
HUH??!!

bama backer

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2006
Citrus Springs, Fla
IMO Aggies and Mizzou can eventually compete (because of location and size) but at what level. Changes will have to be made in types of players they recruit and develop, and improve their systems of Offense and Defense. I wonder just how prepared they are for an S.E.C. schedule as they will be broken-down more week to week by much better teams overall in this conference. Coach Saban does not show all his cards in one or two games but has proven to always have a well thought out system (The Process) to implement throughout the season and into the bowl game.

Mizzou does look like they will lead the league in turnovers with their type of spread offense. It is also going to be interesting to see how well the Aggies and Mizzou handle their away games.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I'd project Mizzou to go 4-4 or 3-5 in the league, beating A&M and the fourth win possibly coming by pulling an upset at either Tenn or Florida. They have a tougher non-conference schedule than they probably expected with Arizona State this weekend (who looks pretty good), on the road at UCF (looks like a trap game to me), and a late home game with Syracuse (they should win that one), which gives them a range of 6 to 8 wins.

I think A&M looks to be competitive in the conference with everybody they play except us and LSU. Arkansas looks beatable (in College Station) unless they pull it together, Auburn looks awful, and the Aggies should be able to compete in Starkville but probably lose there. I think they beat Ole Miss but Mizzou probably beats them, which gives them a shot at 2-6 to 4-4 in the league. They should sweep their non-conference schedule to get to 6 wins overall and bowl eligibility at minimum. Arkansas and Auburn looking so dreadful early on gives them a better shot at beating expectations than Mizzou has.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm sure Miszz's fans were expecting an easier path because of their success in playing SEC teams in bowls, but bowl season is a totally different animal. It's a one game season, everybody has a chance to get healthy, everybody has two weeks to game plan for one team, there is no regard for the following weeks so nothing is held back. Plus Mizz probably wanted to be there and often SEC teams aimed for a higher bowl. All that is very different from a regular season game in the SEC. Now after facing one SEC team, they will face another, and another, it's a whole different challenge.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Texas A&M

Coaching: A

Coach Sumlin does a great job developing talent and running a program with a cutting edge high octane offense.

Players: B-

The team seems to have some young budding talent but before they start to reap the rewards, they are going to have some tough spots.

Recruiting Potential: A+

Texas A&M is located in one of the richest football hot beds in the world, Texas. They will start to recruit top notch players now that they have upped their status by joining the SEC.

Team I Compare them to in the SEC: Arkansas

Long Term Predicament:

I see Texas A&M upsetting a team or two this year and slowly becoming a force in the SEC. Within 3 years I feel they will be a top 12 team pre-season and will become very competitive in the SEC.

Missouri

Coaching: B-

Coach Pinkel is an above average coach who puts teams on the field that are very sound. He was able to "outcoach" some coaches while they were members of the Big 12, unfortunately for him, this is not the Big 12.

Players: C-

This team is badly undersized and not very deep. A few injuries to this team could be cataclysmic to them.

Recruiting Potential: C-

Missouri will struggle to find athletes that have the capability to excel in the SEC.

Team I Compare them to in the SEC: Kentucky

Long Term Predicament:

I see Missouri struggling in the SEC. They will play teams tough but due to their lack of athletes and size they will field teams annually that will hover around .500 in the SEC.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.