Jalston Fowler to have Knee surgery, out for season

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm 12 weeks out from ACL reconstruction. Really feel for him. He will be able to devote a lot more time to rehab than I can, but it sure isn't fun. It is amazing how much muscle mass you lose and how quickly you lose it.

Good luck JF!
I had the ACL graft + rehab also. His rehab will be very similar to ours. There's nothing which can be done to rehab the graft. By now, your graft has died and your body is building back in the connective tissue, with its blood supply. The nerves will never regenerate, so, if you rupture the graft, you won't feel any pain, just the sense of something giving. Now is the time to be very careful with your graft. In my case, I waited and pre-habbed for six months before the surgery. I wasn't in bad shape, playing basketball and triathlons before, but the prehab really helped. If I ruptured the graft or the other ACL, I'd do the same. I was up to 700lb in the leg press at 7 months and 1000 at 11 months. JW and other FB players have a big advantage, in that they've already done that "prehab," in their S&C. Oh, and did I mention their youth? :D

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Surgery tomorrow according to his facebook page. No other details.
Thanks for posting. I thought, for some reason, surgery was Teusday.

I'm usually a defensive minded guy but JF impresssed me a lot. I think he has NFL potential oozing from him. Hate it for him but I know he'll do anything and everything needed, and then some, to return to form.

RTR!!!

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Saban said in his presser this afternoon that the surgery would be tomorrow.

Nothing mentioned yet on the severity, of course, and in all honesty they probably won't know for certain until the surgeons open up his knee.

Best wishes to him tomorrow and beyond. Great kid.

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
I had the ACL graft + rehab also. His rehab will be very similar to ours. There's nothing which can be done to rehab the graft. By now, your graft has died and your body is building back in the connective tissue, with its blood supply. The nerves will never regenerate, so, if you rupture the graft, you won't feel any pain, just the sense of something giving. Now is the time to be very careful with your graft. In my case, I waited and pre-habbed for six months before the surgery. I wasn't in bad shape, playing basketball and triathlons before, but the prehab really helped. If I ruptured the graft or the other ACL, I'd do the same. I was up to 700lb in the leg press at 7 months and 1000 at 11 months. JW and other FB players have a big advantage, in that they've already done that "prehab," in their S&C. Oh, and did I mention their youth? :D
Hey, how do you know I don't have youth on my side too :) I'm 40 and there is no doubt this would have been much easier at 20. My strength and stability is coming back pretty well, but I still don't have full extension of my leg. I can stretch it and get full extension but 45 minutes later it is back to where it was. This is what I get for coming out of retirement from flag football after 8 years. I just hope I'm ready for spring tennis in March.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Fervent prayers being offered up for JF on this, his surgery date.

And throughout his rehab...

We're with ya in spirit, big fella...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Any update on Jalston Fowler?

I just noticed that Coach Saban have never quite said that he's out for the season, but keep saying " likely will be out for the season" IT sounds like he may come back in time final few games? I"m not sure?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Re: I Formation replacement for Fowler

Nobody. You probably won't see the I now that he's out.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Re: I Formation replacement for Fowler

Barrett Jones. That man can play any position that requries blocking. That would leave us with a bit of a void at center, but no time to worry about that now. :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Any update on Jalston Fowler?

So does anyone know what specifically the injury was/is?
AFAIK, ruptured/damaged PCL and a damaged MCL. The PCL surgery has a 70%+ success rate, if it's single ligament (i.e., ACL not involved and MCL and LCL not damaged beyond self-healing with trimming).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
does anyone know if Fowler got a medical red shirt?
You don't apply for that in advance. You apply to have a year of eligibility restored. I forget the number of quarters played which is the limit, but it's something like in the 20-25% range, so, if he wants to play an extra year (i.e., not NFL-ready), he'd be almost certain to have the year restored. In rare cases, in cases of double injuries, two years have been restored. I know some kid from OU had two years restored several years ago...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You don't apply for that in advance. You apply to have a year of eligibility restored. I forget the number of quarters played which is the limit, but it's something like in the 20-25% range, so, if he wants to play an extra year (i.e., not NFL-ready), he'd be almost certain to have the year restored. In rare cases, in cases of double injuries, two years have been restored. I know some kid from OU had two years restored several years ago...
Not by quarters but by games. Any participation in a game counts as a complete game. Rule says you can not have participated in MORE THAN 20% of the scheduled games in the first half of the season. Post season counts in the total games so Bama's number would be 14. 20% of 14 is 2.8. Any fractional number is rounded up, so his number would be 3. Rules says MORE THAN. 3 IS 20% of the games, so 4 would be MORE THAN 20% of the games.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not by quarters but by games. Any participation in a game counts as a complete game. Rule says you can not have participated in MORE THAN 20% of the scheduled games in the first half of the season. Post season counts in the total games so Bama's number would be 14. 20% of 14 is 2.8. Any fractional number is rounded up, so his number would be 3. Rules says MORE THAN. 3 IS 20% of the games, so 4 would be MORE THAN 20% of the games.
You are right about it's being by games. However, between 2007 and 2009, they increased the number to 30% (or 3 games, whichever is lesser), with no participation in the latter half of the season. (NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4) I answered carelessly. What I was really thinking of and got crossed in my mind was the quarters of loss of eligibility for illegal benefits, which is on a sliding scale...

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Earle - I haven't heard anything about how he is doing in his recovery/rehab. Is there any info out there that you can share?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.