You Make the Call - Oct 4

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Team White is punting to Team Black. The returner for Black loses the ball in the lights and the ball bounces off of his helmet. A defender for White picks up the ball at Black's 35 yd line and races into the endzone. Does the score count?

(Print color in honor of the Panthers of Elmore Co HS being 5-0!)

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I don't know about running back a muffed punt in high school, but it is black's ball.

Oops! Looked at the team colors wrong. It should be white's ball, but no advancement.

Last edited:

KanBama

All-American
Nov 22, 2002
Wichita, Kansas, United States
It's been along time since I played HS ball, but I believe that you can not advance a fumble on a muffed punt return. it is 1st down from where the kicking team touched the ball.\ :conf2:

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
talisitider said:
Not allowed to advance a fumbled punt...... agreed
If I'm not mistaken, there's a big difference between a fumble and a muff. On a muff the receiving team touches the ball, but never controls it. On a fumble the receiving team controls the ball and then loses it. In the case of a fumble the kicking team CAN advance the ball. In the case of a muff the kicking team CAN'T advance the ball. At least that's how I understand it.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Right on the money, tex. This situation is a muffed punt, not a fumble. A fumble occurs only when possession is secured. Since the punt was only touched, the kick has not ended, but since black touchedthe ball, it will be white ball at the point of recovery.

Now, if the ball had been caught and white fumbled it, the fumble could have been advanced.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.