"Street legal" golf cart

RTRV

May 23, 2012
I am having a hard time getting the correct information about what makes a golf cart street legal. I'm only looking to ride around on gameday if I need to run to the store or pick up some friends. Does anyone on here have a street legal cart? Or can you direct me to the right people who would know? Thanks in advance

bama_gpr

Jan 25, 2009
Germantown Hills, Illinois
My in-laws have a GEM (I think Global Electric Motors). At least in CA it is street legal. Has signals, brake lights, headlights, license plate, etc. State of CA even paid for part of it as it is considered an electric vehicle. It has 2 modes golf course and road, it will go about 25 in road mode. They actually bought it from Costco probably 8 yrs ago when they bought a place on a golf course. It is legal on streets with speed limits to about 45 IIRC.

NashvilleTider

1st Team
Dec 30, 2002
Nashville, TN
You can dissect this if you like. The policy says:
Carts that meet DOT Standard 500/NEV criteria and are registered and licensed
o Only carts that meet DOT Standard 500/NEV criteria and are registered and licensed may operate on public roads with a posted speed of 35 miles per hour or less. This includes intra-campus roads that are under the exclusive control of the University.
o The use and operation of a Standard 500/NEV cart shall be no different than any other registered and licensed motor vehicle.
o The operator of a DOT Standard 500/NEV licensed and registered cart must have a valid driving license as required by law and the license classification shall be no different than that required to operate a tradition passenger vehicle. The actions and driving behavior of the driver shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations and codes.
o Unless a DOT Standard 500/NEV licensed and registered cart displays an appropriate pass or placard, access to areas closed to general vehicle traffic is not allowed. This restriction includes, but is not limited to the roads surrounding the Quad, other streets closed several hours prior to game time, roads that require a pass or permit to gain access and parking areas that require a pass or permit for entry.
o Except for official-use by the University, the Bruno Event Team or an authorized vendor, licensed carts may not operate on sidewalks, grass or other areas neither designed nor intended for use by a traditional motor vehicle.
• Non-licensed carts
o The use of non-licensed carts is limited to parking lots designated for RV parking and the operator of a non-licensed cart must operate in a safe, reasonable and prudent manner.
o Non-licensed carts may not operate on sidewalks, grass or other areas neither designed nor intended for use by a traditional motor vehicle.
• ATV’s (All Terrain Vehicles)
o The use of ATVs (i.e. Gator, Mule, Rhino, Grizzly, Big Red, Four Trax, King Quad, Razor, Ranger, Sportsman, etc.) lawn tractors, farm/agricultural vehicles, non-licensed motorized scooters and other non-licensed vehicles may not be used on University property, roads under control of the University or public roads
And here is DOT Standard 500--Pretty extensive.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html

brian

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2007
Spring Hill, Tn
I am going with: headlights, taillights, turn signals, hazard lights, horn, seat belts and insurance card. I think that as long as you are not acting crazy the police will not mess with you. I am looking at buying a golf cart too. One of the guys we tailgate with has one and we ride it all over the place.

NashvilleTider

1st Team
Dec 30, 2002
Nashville, TN
My brother in law bought one that is not tricked out for the street-Just a 4 seat golf cart. I was worried because I had heard they were going to start enforcing the rules strictly. We've driven it up to the stadium and down Hackberry and no one has stopped us yet. We try to stay off University or Bryant Drive or anywhere real police are congregated. He bought his from a guy in B'ham that fixes up used carts. Got a picture in my profile pics.

brian

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2007
Spring Hill, Tn
Your bro in law doesn't have turn signals on his does he? It looks good. I am going to buy mine this week, just sold my camry.....
Where does he park it when you go to the stadium? Tutweiler?

Rhill

Oct 5, 2012
Just an FYI since I ran across this thread... If anyone is interested, we perform the conversions to legalize golf carts and have them State inspected with Dept of Revenue sticker applied at my shop in Birmingham. We also custom build tailgating golf carts and golf cart wagons that are also DOT legal.

Roll Tide guys!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.