next HS rules question

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Red team punting to white team. Punt is made and bounces inside 5 yard line. As ball is rolling towards endzone, red team #1 slides/dives onto ball at 1 yard line and knocks ball into endzone without gaining control. Is ball downed at 1 yard line (where red #1 contacted it) or is this a touch back (since control was never possessed)?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think in h.s. it could be at the point where the touch was made if the player or ball was in bounds and not past the goal line. Any time a ball goes past the line in h.s. it's an automatic touchback.

So I'd say it depends on what the rule is on the touching of the ball but I'd say it goes where it was touched but I'm wrong many more times than I'm right:biggrin:

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
I think in h.s. it could be at the point where the touch was made if the player or ball was in bounds and not past the goal line. Any time a ball goes past the line in h.s. it's an automatic touchback.

So I'd say it depends on what the rule is on the touching of the ball but I'd say it goes where it was touched but I'm wrong many more times than I'm right:biggrin:
If the kicking team is the first to touch the ball after it crosses the line of scrimmage, the receivers have an insurance policy. They are assured that no matter what happens during the play, they can take the ball at the spot of the touch. But, play continues, and they can take the result of the play. In your case, the result of the play is touchback, so they would take that. Had the ball been touched at the 3 and rolled dead at the 1, they would have cashed in their insurance policy and taken the ball at the spot of touching.

Last edited:

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
The easiest thing to remember is it is a kick until and unless possession is gained or it rolls to a stop. It makes no difference who touched it (kicking team or receiving team) if possession is not gained before it crosses the goal line. As soon as it breaks the plane of the goal, it is a touchback and should come out to the 20.

TideHead, you are right about the insurance policy unless, as Jref said, the receiving team commits a foul. When the kicking team touches a punt, the spot should be marked with a beanbag. The receiving team can then pick it up and take off and, if they fumble and the kicking team recovers, the receiving team can go back to the spot of first touching and take the ball there. If the receiving team commits a foul such as blocking in the back, holding, etc., then the first touching is ignored.

In the play that you described, the receiving team should have been given an option of taking the ball at the spot of first touching or the result of the play which would have been a touchback.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.