You Make the Call Oct 6

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Team Red has the ball on their own 40 yd line, 1st and 10. While the qb drops back to pass, there is a holding call on the line of scrimmage. The qb is sacked on the 33 yd line. The penalty is accepted by Team White. What is the procedure:

a) The penalty is stepped off from the spot of the foul - 1st and 20 from the 30 yd line.

b) The penalty is stepped off from the end of the run - 1st and 27 from the 23 yd line.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
a) Spot of the foul. Of course, what idiot is going to accept a penalty that pushes the ball back 10 yards and replay the down instead of declining for a seven yard loss and loss of down. I guess that's why I teach instead of coach!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
This was a stumper. Selma, you are the only one who got it right - the correct answer is "b".

When a foul for offensive holding occurs during a running play (remember, the qb never threw the ball so it is a running play) and the foul is in advance of the basic spot it is penalized from the basic spot, which is the end of the run.

I do not know what the rule is in NCAA, but this correct in HS rules.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Hey guys, remember that sometimes what may seem obvious isn't. The basic spot for enforcing a penalty on a running play is the end of the run. Unless the foul occurred behind the end of the run, the foul is penalized from the end of the run. It will be 1st and 27 from the 23.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Bayou, it's what hurts the worst. The LOS really has nothing to do with it. Of course, the TD will not stand, but let's say the hold happened on the 10 yd line. That is the basic spot - the penalty will be marked off from there. Since a TD occured, the basic spot is behind the end of the run.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.