Remembering certain games

BamaNBossier

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2001
Bossier
I guess we all have certain dates and times we never forget. The last time Alabama played Missouri, was 1978, my father past away the Friday before the game and I can remember it being on the TV as family and friends came to the house. Never watched that game, just will never forget the date and who Alabama played that weekend. My Dad was a big Alabama fan, was always a treat going to Birmingham games as a family. Miss him still...:biga2:

Crimson Sabbath

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 23, 2007
I guess we all have certain dates and times we never forget. The last time Alabama played Missouri, was 1978, my father past away the Friday before the game and I can remember it being on the TV as family and friends came to the house. Never watched that game, just will never forget the date and who Alabama played that weekend. My Dad was a big Alabama fan, was always a treat going to Birmingham games as a family. Miss him still...:biga2:
I remember watching it, and as I recall, it was close until well into the second half, with Alabama finally pulling away. I may be wrong, but it seems like it was televised by Jefferson Pilot or something similar to it. :)

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
I was at the "Tiffin Kick" Iron Bowl which was a great game, but the one I will always remember is the Notre Dame "Sack" game. Will never forget the sound of Bennett crushing Beuerlein. Never heard a sound quite like that before or since....

My season tix were crappy end-zoners back then, but I couldn't have cared less. :biggrin2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have that Missouri game on "tape." The production values of the 1970s were about JP level. Looks almost like a public access broadcast.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks for sharing that memory. The way Alabama football is interwoven into our family lives and loves is one of the intangibles that separates Alabama from the rest.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I remember watching the game. I think it was on ABC. Back then a team was only on TV 2 or 3 times a year. I know we were also on TV for the Nebraska and USC games that year.

Here is a recap and stats:
http://collegefootballbelt.com/1978/1978 Game Summaries/Alabama at Missouri.htm

We had a pretty tough schedule that year. There are no directional schools in there. Of course, VA Tech had not become the program that they have now.

September 2 vs #10 Nebraska at Legion Field • Birmingham, AL
W 20–3

September 16 at #11 Missouri at Memorial Stadium • Columbia, MO
W 38–20

September 23 vs #7 USC at Legion Field • Birmingham, AL
L 14–24

September 30 vs Vanderbilt at Bryant-Denny Stadium • Tuscaloosa, AL
W 51–28

October 7 at Washington at Husky Stadium • Seattle, WA
W 20–17

October 14 vs Florida at Bryant-Denny Stadium • Tuscaloosa, AL
W 23–12

October 21 at Tennessee at Neyland Stadium • Knoxville, TN
W 30–17

October 28 vs Virginia Tech at Bryant-Denny Stadium • Tuscaloosa, AL
W 35–0

November 4 vs Mississippi State at Legion Field • Birmingham, AL
W 35–14

November 11 vs #10 LSU at Legion Field • Birmingham, AL
W 31–10

December 2 vs Auburn at Legion Field • Birmingham, AL
W 34–16

January 1, 1979 vs. #1 Penn State at Louisiana Superdome • New Orleans, LA (Sugar Bowl)
W 14–7

Last edited:

spiguy

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 14, 2006
The Bama-Mizzou game in '78 was actually on the University of Missouri college-owned channel. Mizzou has a big communications/broadcasting school and would broadcast their games . I remember Herb Winches making the announcement on the news one night that his station (Channel 6 maybe?) had gotten rights/permission to the broadcast and would be showing the game. The play by play was by U of M students (or employees). I was 9 years old and watched it with my dad. Will never forget....

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
The Bama-Mizzou game in '78 was actually on the University of Missouri college-owned channel. Mizzou has a big communications/broadcasting school and would broadcast their games . I remember Herb Winches making the announcement on the news one night that his station (Channel 6 maybe?) had gotten rights/permission to the broadcast and would be showing the game. The play by play was by U of M students (or employees). I was 9 years old and watched it with my dad. Will never forget....
Great info. Herb Winches did work for Channel 6 in those days and Channel 6 was the local ABC affiliate in Birmingham at that time. I was also 9 years old.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The copy I have is from a St Louis affiliate and must be the copy you're referencing. We played LSU on ABC in 1978 as well. That's our three plus the Sugar Bowl vs Penn St

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
- January 2nd, 2006 Cotton Bowl - Alabama vs Texas Tech. 13-10 win.
- November 8th 2008: Alabama 27 - LSU 21. Overtime win.
- November 29th, 2008: Alabama 36 - Auburn 0.
- January 2nd, 2009: Sugar Bowl - Alabama vs Utah 17-31 loss.
- 2009 Season. 14-0, Heisman Winner Mark Ingram, SEC Champions, National Champions.

Those are the games/moments that stick with me. I would probably have more but I grew up during the down years of Alabama football (2000-2006) so there weren't too many memorable moments then.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was at the Ole Miss game in 95, where the defense pretty well won it alone. Also at Arky in Little Rock in 96, had an end zone seat - saw us force the Chuckwuma fumble that saved it. Also at the Cotton Bowl in 2006, and Tech fans don't know football. Finally, I got hooked up at the UM game in Dallas this year.

barefootbamafan

Oct 4, 2009
Bamabossier, sorry about you Dad. I lost my Pops in March 2010, we watched Bama win the BCS on television together so obviously I'll never forget that game. Another enjoyable game was the year (198?) Bama played Ohio State in the kickoff classic. I remember they worked us over in the first half and the OSU quarterback was smiling and have a great old time......then came the second half which Bama owned and won.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
My biggest memory was 'Bama vs Miami in January 1993. I was in Dallas and my Dad was in Houston. We called each other about 5 times during the game to talk - yell - scream about the game.
He passed away in 2007 of Alzheimers Disease - but my best memory was of that game.

BamaNBossier

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2001
Bossier
Nice Memories, iIhave another , in the year Auburn was on probation, we had moved from Birminghan to Shreveport some years before, so no TV, no radio, no internet yet, So I decided to buy a speaker for the phone, would call my Mom back in Birmingham, have her put the phone buy the radio and we would listen to the game, My wife is an AU grad, so we slipped a coin and the radio would tune to Ala station for one half and AU the other. Now at half, my mom picked up the phone to check and see if all was ok, and disconnected the call. couldnt call her back, we are panicking. had to call a neighbor go next door and have my Mom hang up so we could call back, got to hear the last Quarter. Lost my Mom in 99', but talked about that day every Ala/Au game weekend.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I want to get even in the series with Missouri. I remember the 1975 loss deeply. I had a guys only football party at my home in Mobile Alabama and had a Missouri guy attend. The loss was truly unbearable and to this day I am reluctant to invite adversaries over to football game viewings.

Roll Tide! Show no mercy.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
My best memory was the '92 Sugar Bowl also. I was a freshman in high school and I watched the game with my dad. I had always watched games with him, but this was the game that really started getting me hooked on the Tide. My dad passed away soon after i graduated high school. It's funny because we watched every game that came on tv (no matter who the team) from the time I was a child until he passed, but this is the only game that I can vividly remember watching with him. I can even remember deatils of conversations that we during that game. The crazed fanatic that I am was born that night.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I want to get even in the series with Missouri. I remember the 1975 loss deeply. I had a guys only football party at my home in Mobile Alabama and had a Missouri guy attend. The loss was truly unbearable and to this day I am reluctant to invite adversaries over to football game viewings.

Roll Tide! Show no mercy.
I was at the game.
One of the most dreadful performances I've ever seen by an Alabama team.
It was a monumental upset.

I keep remembering 3rd-and-8, 3rd-and-8. Seems like we were always way behind the chains.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
For me, the Sugar v. notre dang in the early 70s. That's the only Bama game my Dad & I ever saw in person together, as he died a couple of years later of a heart attack. Even tho the bad guys won, it was a great game--as noted by Coach Bryant himself. Plus, again, the phrase "the only" a couple of sentences back... Plus, I got to shake hands with Coach Bryant shortly after the game ended, which was just awesome for a jr. high punk like myself. That game has many dimensions of "favorite memory" for me. :)

I was @ UA during Coach's last three years. Thus, I remember sitting in the student section for the Iron Bowl that got him #315. Good times!
I also saw "the Kick" and "the Sack" in person.
Then there's the beatdown of Miami in NOLA after the 92 season. Went w/ my pa-in-law; and for 20 years now have pondered sitting next to Dad for that one. He'd have LOVED it!

And of course, there's...(OK, I'll stop now. You're welcome. ;) )

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
My best time was either the 1980 Sugar Bowl when we beat Ark 24-9, at the end of the 1979 season. It seems like a lot of people confuse that one with the 1979 Sugar Bowl vs. Penn State, which I wish to God I'd been at.

But the '80 Sugar Bowl wasn't really all that good of a "game". We beat the tar out of 'em.

Best time, best game would probably be 1992 SEC Championship (Langham's interception).
Talk about grit!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.