The Walking Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the thread! Huge Walking Dead fan here as well.

I agree - this season every episode has been epic.

Love to see more walker-head splitting by Michonne! :biggrin2:

C Earl

1st Team
Aug 17, 2005
Cahaba Heights
One thing that's bothered me for a while is the infection. Why is a bite worse than what everyone already has? We know that everyone has the zombie virus inside of them already. So if a zombie bites you, why would that matter? They're just giving you the virus again right? I don't really get how that works.
The bite kills you, doesn't have anything to do with the infection. Just a painful looking way to go.

Also, I heard the words tonight I've been dreading "mid season finale".

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
When does the second half of the season start? I'm looking at the episode list on wikipedia, and if they're going to do the same thing as season 2, they'll start back up in February. Is that how it's going to work for this season?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I read a short novel some years ago, based on pretty much the same premise, except, rather than there being numbers of infected zombies, there was just this one malevolent being, who could take over bodies after they died. The twist was that he could keep the bodies he inhabited moving and human-like for a limited period of time. They started gradually to decay. In the climactic scene, the protagonist had managed to corner him in an old house and blow up and burn the house. As the cells started to try to creep back together and reassemble themselves on the walls as a humanoid, the hero came in and blasted them with a flame-thrower...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Duh, everyone knows zombie bites turn you into a zombie!

Happened to Jim in s1ep4...
Haha I know that, but my question is in reference to the one I posted on the last page. It's something that apparently doesn't have an answer, yet is a pretty big plot hole IMHO.

One thing that's bothered me for a while is the infection. Why is a bite worse than what everyone already has? We know that everyone has the zombie virus inside of them already. So if a zombie bites you, why would that matter? They're just giving you the virus again right? I don't really get how that works.
Jim is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. He was bit, but why does that matter? If everyone already has the zombie virus inside of them, what would a bite on the arm matter? Do zombies suddenly have venom in their teeth or something? It's no different than a dog bite. Dog bites don't kill you.

It would be like if I had the flu, and someone with the flu bit me on the arm, I wouldn't get the flu twice. Why is a bite worse than what they already have?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Haha I know that, but my question is in reference to the one I posted on the last page. It's something that apparently doesn't have an answer, yet is a pretty big plot hole IMHO.
I'd say a big plot hole is how one small part of the brain, with no blood supply, can somehow reanimate and control the entire body.

I mean, c'mon, they're the undead, and you're nitpicking about something being unrealistic?

:biggrin:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I'd say a big plot hole is how one small part of the brain, with no blood supply, can somehow reanimate and control the entire body.

I mean, c'mon, they're the undead, and you're nitpicking about something being unrealistic?

:biggrin:
I guess it just bothers me because it's different from every other zombie story. In every other zombie story, you're OK until you get bit. Me saying it's a plot hole is probably a little unfair. It's not a hole until the story is finished, and we don't know where the creators will take us.

This show/story is different from every other zombie story ever. They threw this plot point out there that everyone is already infected. There's a reason they changed up the rules of zombie mythology, right? They wouldn't just change it up for no reason.

Maybe they've already used that plot device to scare the viewer into realizing that no one is ever safe even when the zombies are locked away. Even the people of Woodbury aren't safe because anyone can become a zombie from a heart attack or a fall down a flight of stairs. BUT, I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The apparent reason the "already infected" twist seems to be there is so that people will still become zombies when they die from non-zombie causes, i.e. to drive the plot and provide suspense/drama when someone tries to deal with death in a dignified fashion. Beyond that, there's not much point in analyzing the science of a series that doesn't really treat anything as scientific.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
It's not just viewers but readers also because, everyone is infected in the comics as well. Just saying, they didn't just throw this plot device out there for TV, it's in the source material.
That's not what I was implying. I've read the comics up until where the show is, roughly anyway. I'm on issue #31 and trying not to read ahead.

The apparent reason the "already infected" twist seems to be there is so that people will still become zombies when they die from non-zombie causes, i.e. to drive the plot and provide suspense/drama when someone tries to deal with death in a dignified fashion. Beyond that, there's not much point in analyzing the science of a series that doesn't really treat anything as scientific.
Yeah... the whole point of it is to show how hopeless the situation really is. No matter how hard they try to outlast the walkers, they will eventually become them one way or the other.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All this bite and saliva talk reminded me that I bought and DLed an eBook on the rabies virus recently. After a couple of chapters, I shuddered and put it aside for a later date...

prattvilletider

Scout Team
Feb 4, 2007
Prattville, AL.
Anybody know alot about gasoline? Doesn't it start breaking down and go bad after awhile sitting dormant. Seems like at some point, they won't be able to drive anymore. I figure we're about, what, close to a year, since d-day? Does that sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.